Post-Game Talk: Trade Deadline 2024 (buy low, sell high) - poll added (3/8/24)

What grade do you give BMac for the TDL?

• A

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • B

Votes: 36 51.4%
  • C

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • D

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • F

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
It looks like 14 of the Caps' remaining 22 are against teams currently holding playoff spots (based solely on total points, not points per game or anything predicting results). The others include a few against crapola teams (2 v Sabres and 1 v Sens) and 5 with teams that are all-but-out-of-the-hunt and are or seem destined to become sellers (e.g., Flames and Pens). With a few more performances like yesterday's, the Caps could fall to the bottom 8 in total points by season's end. As some posters like to say about teams getting into the playoffs, that ranking would give them a puncher's chance of landing the #1 pick. I say go for it!

Reactions: Neil Racki

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Move out all of the UFAs!

• Edmundson - at least get that third round pick back
  • Pacioretty - whatever you can get
  • Mantha - 20 goal scorer, if BMAC has to, hold out to Friday afternoon in order to get the best returns so be it
  • NAK - went through waivers earlier this season and no one was interested, but I have to say like his energy, still I'd try to move him
The others:
  • Dowd, Jensen, TVR, Lindgren/Kuemper - listen to the offers, but don't settle.

Reactions: Neil Racki

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I think a lot are very forgiving of Mantha after years of disappointment. I want him gone and don't want him back.

TVR and Jensen haven't been great this year. Would be best to cut ties with one of them in my view.

There is like 7 teams aiming for the 3 spots available. Please sell.
I'm mixed on him. Yes it's a contract year for him, but he has shown better signs developing chemistry(Protas, CMM) than what he did under Lavi. Mantha looks like he's actually enjoying this season.

• Love
Reactions: Ridley Simon

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Move out all of the UFAs!

• Edmundson - at least get that third round pick back
  • Pacioretty - whatever you can get
  • Mantha - 20 goal scorer, if BMAC has to, hold out to Friday afternoon in order to get the best returns so be it
  • NAK - went through waivers earlier this season and no one was interested, but I have to say like his energy, still I'd try to move him
The others:
  • Dowd, Jensen, TVR, Lindgren/Kuemper - listen to the offers, but don't settle.
Only thing you can listen to regarding Kuemper, are crickets! Unless a GM gets desperate due to their starting goalie going down with an injury, nobody is gonna inquire about Kuemper.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
1709589906906.png

Why would they be desperate to ship this guy off for anything when his next contract is likely to be reasonable given his reputation?

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Who else on the FA market could replace Mantha? Unless they’re trading for a winger that provides his level of impact or plan to make a run at Reinhart, I agree signing him (at a bargain given his rep) might be the best play

Ultimately I’m team twabby here, just pick a direction. If you’re trying to compete these next couple seasons, keep Mantha or find a better replacement. Otherwise, fill his role with Ryan Leonard ASAP

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I can see holding on for the stretch run. But in no way should we resign this player.

Why not?

I get not wanting to re-sign him if he was going to get an expensive long-term contract that would run into his mid 30s but is he really going to command that given his reputation? I suspect he's going to maybe get 2 or 3 years so whoever signs him isn't going to be paying for his very unproductive years but rather a few more good years.

I also struggle to find a better UFA option than Mantha as a top 6 wing. And I'd rather not spend trade assets when there are other positions of need.

In short: buy low on Mantha, per the thread title. Take advantage of the mismatch between his reputation and his actual impact to get a bargain.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
The fact the GMBM stated he hasnt talked to any players about extensions makes me think little chance that happens

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Another name that people have mentioned to me was Beck Malenstyn who has 16 points this year in 58 games,” Friedman said. “He’s making $762k. A couple of people told me not to be surprised if teams have poked around him as well.”

Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
View attachment 829273

Why would they be desperate to ship this guy off for anything when his next contract is likely to be reasonable given his reputation?
His GAR/60 has an average value of just under .6, but the standard deviation is about .3. You don't know if you're going to get .6, .9, or .3 GAR/60. That's why people don't like him - his productivity is a sawtooth curve. You can't rely upon him.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Mantha might score 20 goals next year? Maybe he will go back to being lazy ass.

I'd rather give his spot to any number of younger Hershey guys that might score 10 or 15 at minimum wage and develop at the same time.

Regardless of how he's appeared on the ice, he's been highly impactful.

I think a lot of his perceived problems and his admitted lack of confidence stem from a coach that simply wouldn't play him.

His GAR/60 has an average value of just under .6, but the standard deviation is about .3. You don't know if you're going to get .6, .9, or .3 GAR/60. That's why people don't like him - his productivity is a sawtooth curve. You can't rely upon him.

A different interpretation is that his worst year was still well above average. Sounds like a consistently good player to me, even if he's not always great. Me personally? I like consistently good to great players that could be had for relatively cheap.

I also suspect the variance in his impacts aren't all that different than most players. As an example, here's consummate professional Nic Dowd:

1709596352211.png

His performances vary wildly from -0.3 GAR/60 to +0.6 GAR/60, yet I don't think anyone questions his effort level or his reliability.

• Wow
Reactions: Ridley Simon

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
What do the 24-25 lines look like (based on contractual status):

8-29-??
15-17-43
21-24-77
47-26-??

There is no slot for Anthony Mantha. That top RW is Ryan Leonard, either next, or the following year. Committing money to him long term makes no sense.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
If Mantha comes super cheap and wants to stay on a reasonable length contract and you can get it done before Friday...sure. I'd probably listen to offers first before I went through with it though. Somebody offers a first rounder or a legitimate prospect then he's gone. Pretty damn good chance he's going to regress next season. He's not a new man and he's done it his entire career. He shows out then suddenly he's gone leaving you wanting more. If you can maximize that asset while it's at a peak then you should.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Sell Dowd and one of TvR/Jensen. For once, can we not wait until guys are too old to have any value?

I saw on the Oilers intermission that one of their top needs is a big, defensive, right-shot center that can PK. So, basically Dowd. Let’s sell some guys a year too early for a change.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
What do the 24-25 lines look like (based on contractual status):

8-29-??
15-17-43
21-24-77
47-26-??

There is no slot for Anthony Mantha. That top RW is Ryan Leonard, either next, or the following year. Committing money to him long term makes no sense.

Is Tom Wilson really a top 6 player any more? I like what Milano brings but is he better than Mantha?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad