Post-Game Talk: Trade Deadline 2019: Public Enemy #1 is gone! Holy ****! (Dahlen too) That's about it...

NeoCanuck

Jay Beagle? In THIS economy?
Jan 17, 2005
North Vancouver B.C.
Just for ****s and giggles, I'll predict a Gudbranson for Ceci plus mid-round pick swap.

Canucks get rid of Gudbranson's contract obligations allowing them to run after Karlsson in the offseason (not that he'll make it).

They get Ceci which they can tout as a "high pick" with potential who needed a change of scenery but can release him in the offseason assuming they can sign someone better.

Please don't.

I'm up to like twenty and counting pizza deliveries.

Reactions: Zombotron

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
The only consistent NHLers Jim Benning has acquired in deadline deals are Sven Baertschi and Tyler Motte.

The best prospects he's ever gotten at the deadline are Nikolay Goldobin and Jonathan Dahlen.

The best pick he's ever acquired at the deadline is a 4th.

Last edited:

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
The only consistent NHLer Jim Benning has acquired in a deadline deal is Tyler Motte.

The best prospects he's ever gotten are Nikolay Goldobin and Jonathan Dahlen.

The best pick he's ever acquired is a 4th.

He got a 1st in the Kesler deal, and 2nds for Garrison and Bieksa (all squandered on Gudbranson, Vey, and Sutter respectively).

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
He got a 1st in the Kesler deal, and 2nds for Garrison and Bieksa (all squandered on Gudbranson, Vey, and Sutter respectively).
I'm only talking about deadline deals - all of the aforementioned trades took place around the draft and free agency. I'll edit my post to avoid confusion there.

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
I'm usually one of the more patient members of this board when it comes to giving GMJB rope.

But given the prices for some B-caliber trade deadline deals, Benning should be on the horn trading literally everyone except Pettersson and Horvat on the roster. Montour got a prospect and a 1st...I'd imagine Hutton or Stetcher would be worth that. Nyquist got a 2nd and a 3rd which should be Edler's floor as rental. Markstrom is a top 5 goalie in the league according to some Wins Above Replacement metrics. That must be worth something given that he's signed for another year as well.

Do somethinggggg.

Reactions: bh53 and Chwc

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I'm usually one of the more patient members of this board when it comes to giving GMJB rope.

But given the prices for some B-caliber trade deadline deals, Benning should be on the horn trading literally everyone except Pettersson and Horvat on the roster. Montour got a prospect and a 1st...I'd imagine Hutton or Stetcher would be worth that. Nyquist got a 2nd and a 3rd which should be Edler's floor as rental. Markstrom is a top 5 goalie in the league according to some Wins Above Replacement metrics. That must be worth something given that he's signed for another year as well.

Do somethinggggg.
You want to trade Hutton, Stecher, Markstrom, Edler, and boeser? How can he trade everyone except EP and Horvat?

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
I'd take a bag of toilet pucks for Guddy.

He's last league-wide in plus-minus even though Green has actually deployed him less as injuries stack up. A bag of pucks would in fact be a great trade because Guds has negative value right now.

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
You want to trade Hutton, Stecher, Markstrom, Edler, and boeser? How can he trade everyone except EP and Horvat?

I should have been more clear. I would be listening on everyone including Markstrom and Boeser yes. If Colorado offered a package including Ottawa's unprotected 2019 pick and Cale Makar for Boeser, Markstrom, and Vancouver's 1st I would take it.

I would trade both Hutton and Stetcher in addition to Edler, if we got back at minimum 2 1sts and 4 2nds and some players who could play in the NHL to replace them. All combined, you'd enter the 2019 draft armed with 3 1sts, at least 3 2nds, and still have your top 2 centers and future goaltending set up. You have 3 potential top 4 dmen in Juolevi, Makar, and Hughes.

2019-20 might suck, but also maybe not. You're guaranteed one of Hughes, Kakko, Cozens, Byram or Podkolzin. You can sign stopgap free agents like Bobrovsky and Myers or go after Panarin and Karlsson. Or heck all four. By trading Boeser, Markstrom, Hutton, Stetcher, and Edler you've kicked at least $20m off of the cap in addition to having about $25m in space as of today. I know Free Agency isn't the way to build a team, but it actually wouldn't be the worst way to go here.

Out:
Boeser
Markstrom
Edler
Hutton
Stetcher

In:
4OA or better 2019
Makar
1st 2019
1st 2019
2 x 2nd 2019
2 x 2nd 2020
Filler Goalie
2 x Filler Dman

[Panarin] Pettersson [Kakko]
Roussel Horvat Leivo
Baertschi Sutter Virtanen
Eriksson Beagle Motte
Goldobin Schaller

[Makar] [Karlsson]
Hughes [Myers]
Juolevi Tanev
Gudbranson

[Bobrovsky]
Demko

And now you have significant prospect and pick capital to fill whichever hole is required down the stretch. Based on the above, it would be a top 6 winger, a 3C with offence and maybe LHD which is traditionally much easier to find than RHD.

Even in the non-ideal situation, where you get 4OA and a non-roster player for 2019-20. I have previously opined that it is easier to draft high end wingers in the 1st round. The Canucks have done all the heavy lifting already, finding a franchise C, 2-way C, and a puck moving defenseman already. Literally every pick going forward (ha) could be used on wingers. Something has to stick...

Last edited:

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I noticed this thread says “live” in red letters on the top right. What does that mean exactly? How does it differ than other threads?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Benning will carry his weight to make that happen.
I was actually speaking league wide..not just Benning...They have the A team (Burke,Kypreous,Friedman) twiddling their thumbs for four hours to announce that so and so has been traded for a 4th and will report to Kalamazoo.

Even the day before trade deadline..we have only had 3 semi minor trades.

Reactions: geebaan

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Wonder if any of these teams acquiring picks will turn around and throw them at guys similar to Vey

Probably not

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad