Post-Game Talk: Trade Deadline 2019: Public Enemy #1 is gone! Holy ****! (Dahlen too) That's about it...

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Nobody on any of the network trade panels are expecting the Canucks to do anything. They're not really even being mentioned. So unless Jimbo pulls off some sort of shocker, it'll be another yawner tomorrow.

What I've never been able to understand is how GM's like Doug Wilson, Jim Rutherford, Ken Holland, Rob Blake, Chuck Fletcher and Jim Nill, with no more assets than the Canucks have, can keep wheeling and dealing right through the deadline and into the off-season.

Meantime our guy is about as active as a mannequin at Macey's.

NeoCanuck

Jay Beagle? In THIS economy?
Jan 17, 2005
North Vancouver B.C.
What really can Benning trade?
We can hope that he sells the likes of Gudbranson,and others,but we have a delusional GM that thinks what he has built is good enough to sneak into the playoffs.So I'm not holding my breath that anything changes with this team.

My issue (and an argument that I bring up constantly) is that part of a General Manager's job is to be a strong salesman sometimes. If the market isn't in your favor, don't wait for it to turn. Be pro-active with your information and make things happen. Put pressure on other GM's, send out false information, play other managers against each other.

It's almost as if the current management group never wants to step on any toes and is just happy to be here.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
The only thing I can see them rationalizing picks if that trade is true is because that would mean Spooner's 3.1mil cap hit is off the books next year as McGinn is a RFA this summer. I don't think it makes it ok to dish out picks when signing Gagner or trading for Spooner were both stupid moves that could have been avoided if Benning simply didn't pick up the phone.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
imageproxy.php copy.jpeg

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Lol we haven’t even officially done anything yet!

The Hansen and Goldobin + pick was a good trade deadline.

Dahlen for Burrows even better.

Not being able to trade injured or NTC are out of our hands.

Hamhuis wanted to stay and Dallas messed us up while Vrbata gave a list of bottom feeder teams so he wouldn’t have to go anywhere.
I agree.

We need to get picks and prospects. Adding players like McGinn and Johansson or burakovsky is counter productive

Reactions: y2kcanucks

NeoCanuck

Jay Beagle? In THIS economy?
Jan 17, 2005
North Vancouver B.C.
Having Sutter and other assets injured shouldn't be used as an excuse or a pass from the organization for not making at deals tomorrow.

They've had multiple seasons to plan on signing later free agents to one year contracts, giving them playing time and flipping them at the deadline like so many teams before.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
AssetReturnNotes
Dan Hamuhis (UFA)NothingNow plays on the third pairing of a Cup contender
Radim Vrbata (UFA)Nothing
Yannick Weber (UFA)NothingAlso now plays on the third pairing of a Cup contender
PUBLICLY MADE AVAILABLE:
Linden Vey (UFA)
Matt Bartkowski (UFA)
Ronalds Kenins (UFA)
Adam Cracknell (UFA)
Chris Higgins
Brandon Prust (UFA)
Nothing
Alex Burrows (UFA)Jonathan Dahlen
Jannik HansenNikolay Goldobin
4th-round pick
4th-round pick parlayed into picks which became Petrus Palmu and Kristoffer Gunnarsson
Thomas Vanek (UFA)Tyler Motte
Jussi Jokinen (UFA)
Jokinen went back to Finland at season's end
Philip HolmBrendan LeipsicClaimed off waivers by LA
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
AssetReturn
Dan Hamuhis (UFA)Nothing
Radim Vrbata (UFA)Nothing
Yannick Weber (UFA)Nothing
PUBLICLY MADE AVAILABLE:
Linden Vey
Matt Bartkowski
Ronalds Kenins
Adam Cracknell
Chris Higgins
Brandon Prust
Nothing
Alex Burrows (UFA)Jonathan Dahlen
Jannik HansenNikolay Goldobin
4th-round pick
Thomas Vanek (UFA)Tyler Motte
Jussi Jokinen (UFA)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

And this doesn't even include all the players who SHOULD HAVE BEEN AVAILABLE but for some inexplicable reason were not (Gudbranson, Sutter.)

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Just for shits and giggles, I'll predict a Gudbranson for Ceci plus mid-round pick swap.

Canucks get rid of Gudbranson's contract obligations allowing them to run after Karlsson in the offseason (not that he'll make it).

They get Ceci which they can tout as a "high pick" with potential who needed a change of scenery but can release him in the offseason assuming they can sign someone better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad