GDT: Trade Deadline 2016: Apparently the Price is Wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010
We hold the record for most consecutive years with at least 1 trade made on trade deadline day. We're at 13 straight years and counting.

We cheated for a couple years where our only deadline day acquisitions were Shawn Belle in 2011 and Thomas Vincour in 2012 :help: :laugh:

But yeah still cool nonetheless

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I haven't read where TV nor the Avs have said Wood was a bad pick. Pricey was working under Sakic and Roy and probably had direction from them as to what to look for and tell his scouts to look for. They uncovered Wood who Sakic said today, you have to give to get in a deal. The Avs missed on Bleacks and were preferring a #53 pick over. Those happen, but can cost jobs if consistent. Pracey had done that and lost his job. Sakic and Roy do that as much as Pracey... They will lose their jobs too.
Maloney said that a year ago Wood was untouchable for the Avs. I'm guessing the Zadorov and Meloche acquisitions made them feel like they could move him. I still think he would have been signed if they didn't move him, though. Sounds like they liked his game.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Maloney said that a year ago Wood was untouchable for the Avs. I'm guessing the Zadorov and Meloche acquisitions made them feel like they could move him. I still think he would have been signed if they didn't move him, though. Sounds like they liked his game.

Yep as Sakic said... They had to give to get. I don't think they were so much unhappy with Wood or that total draft, but preferred to use them in other ways. Meloche is a better prospect than Wood, and is closer to being NHL ready. Combine that with Mironov playing RD, the ability to draft another early, and that EJ and Barrie haven't hit 30 means that Wood wasn't untouchable any more (I doubt he was for the right deal last year though). Sometimes the best use of a prospect pool is trading them to help now. Teams do it all the time. Frankly the Avs haven't missed much there.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Hypothetical summer situation, provided the following occur:

- Matthias, Redmond, Bodnarchuk walk as UFAs.
- MacKinnon signs $7m per for 8 years.
- Barrie signs $6m per for 6 years.
- Boedker signs $5.5m per for 5 years(*).
- Grigorenko signs $2m per for 2 years.
- Pickard signs $1.5m per for 3 years.
- Skille or some UFA signs $1m for 1 year.
- Stuart goes on LTIR(**).

* - Coyotes fans say the deal that was, as per Boedker to TSN, "pulled off the table" by Maloney was $5x5y. I'd hope we could sign him for $5m. I put $5.5m in there for a safety blanket, but at that price, I'd rather go for Radulov.

** - In order to recover all of Stuart's $3.6m, we need to get ourselves right up to the cap and then put him on LTIR. This means we'd have a couple of RFAs or something left to sign after LTIRing him. That money almost covers a Barrie extension or both of Grigo/Picks.

--

Landeskog($5.572m) - MacKinnon($7m) - Boedker($5.5m)
Grigorenko($2m) - Duchene($6m) - Iginla($5.33m)
Comeau($2.4m) - Soderberg($4.75m) - Rantanen($0.925m)
McLeod($1.33m) - Mitchell($1.8m) - Skille/Scrub($1m)
Everberg/Whoever($0.75m)

Beauchemin($4.5m) - Johnson($6m)
Bigras($0.845m) - Barrie($6m)
Zadorov($0.895m) - Holden($1.65m)
Gelinas($1.575m)

Varlamov($5.9m)
Pickard($1.5m)

Total: $73,222,000

It looks more and more like we'll need to make Iginla/Stuart both go away if we want to re-sign Boeds or bring in a similar type forward in free agency.

- Trade Iginla, Grigorenko, and Stuart (cap dump, maybe season long IR), to TB for Drouin at the draft.
- Re-sign UFAs Boedker, Mathias, Skille

Drouin (0.89) - Mackinnon (7) - Landeskog (5.57)
Boedker (5.5) - Duchene (6) - Rantanen (0.93)
Mathias (2.4) - Soderberg (4.75) - Comeau (2.4)
McLeod (1.3) - Mitchell (1.8) - Skille (1)
Everberg (1) / Rendulic (1)

Beauchemin (4.5) - Johnson (6)
Bigras (0.84) - Barrie (7)
Zadorov (0.84) - Holden (1.65)
Gelinas (1.58)

Varlamov (5.9)
Pickard (1.5)

Berra (0.5 buried)

That would put the Avs at around current cap (71.9 million). That third line and 6/7 dman are just making too much money for the Avs to bring anyone in. Much rather Okposo than Boedker, if they come in around the same price. Need more right handed shoots on this team.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
"We'll just give you our trash with high cap hits for Drouin, thanks!"

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I actually like Boedker but you don't pay him $5M+. He's not that guy.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
People may want to prepare for possibility that either Iginla, or his cap hit, will be on the team next season. The Avs may be able to talk him into agreeing to waive and go to a team next season that has a great statistical probability of winning the Cup, but that doesn't mean the Avs will be able to find someone to take him. And I don't see him waiving for a place like Toronto or Arizona. If he retires, the cap hit is still there. If he won't waive, the only option might be able to "force" him to LTIR (i.e. cap circumvention)

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
People may want to prepare for possibility that either Iginla, or his cap hit, will be on the team next season. The Avs may be able to talk him into agreeing to waive and go to a team next season that has a great statistical probability of winning the Cup, but that doesn't mean the Avs will be able to find someone to take him. And I don't see him waiving for a place like Toronto or Arizona. If he retires, the cap hit is still there. If he won't waive, the only option might be able to "force" him to LTIR (i.e. cap circumvention)

Been saying this a while, every roster I've ever done has him on it in some capacity. I just hope hes good down the stretch, he can staple himself to the 4th line next season, we'll worry about it then IMO.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

LA will need someone to take the token retiree mantle from Vinny.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
If Avs trade Iginla, they will have to eat some salary so I don't think there would be much of cap savings to speak of. They would trade him because he's not a good fit and he would accept because Avs can't win a cup.

Iginla for $3M on a contender might be doable but Iginla at $5.25M: no way.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Do people really want to sign Skille again? He's more or less been useless since the new year, IMO.

I don't think that's completely true. I think he's been kinda up and down and probably wasn't entirely healthy for some of those games as well.

He never missed a game after that incredibly hard slam into the end boards and then had that concussion that probably impacted his following games both mentally and conditioning wise, since those guys are often shut down and can't even ride the bike sometimes.

He'll be a cheap re-signing, and not particularly long term. I don't see a whole lot of down side to bringing him back, and they need the depth. Everberg, Rendulic, and Martinsen haven't exactly established themselves as NHLers as of yet.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Do people really want to sign Skille again? He's more or less been useless since the new year, IMO.

I do, but he's already played 10 more games this season than he has ever before, so I think he may be spent and that is a concern.

I wouldn't be crushed if they let him go, but I think he's a good piece to have on our 4th line.

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl
I think if AVS want to keep Boedker they sign MacK to bridge deal. Something like 2 years for 4 millions per. It will leave something like 3 millions for other contracts.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The worst thing about this TDL for me by far is that Drouin hasn't been moved, so people will still be talking about him for months longer. :help:

Odd, odd move on Yzerman's part. If the kid isn't going to skate again this season, that only lowers his value even further when he's not playing games at age 20 and getting the experience he needs to be an impact player. Missing half a season's worth of development is poison for Drouin's career, which TB should care about if they want to get their value back for him. Drouin should care too, he's already cutting off his nose to spite his face with this contract breach. I don't see how his value at the draft/offseason could possibly be any different than what he could have gotten at the deadline given what he's doing to his future.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Drouin should get his ass in gear and play well in the AHL. Keep his stock high, and more importantly, be a ****ing man. If he plays well in his situation, yet still demands a trade, that's fine. Just don't sulk and sit at home all day.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
The worst thing about this TDL for me by far is that Drouin hasn't been moved, so people will still be talking about him for months longer. :help:

Odd, odd move on Yzerman's part. If the kid isn't going to skate again this season, that only lowers his value even further when he's not playing games at age 20 and getting the experience he needs to be an impact player. Missing half a season's worth of development is poison for Drouin's career, which TB should care about if they want to get their value back for him. Drouin should care too, he's already cutting off his nose to spite his face with this contract breach. I don't see how his value at the draft/offseason could possibly be any different than what he could have gotten at the deadline given what he's doing to his future.

if drouin won't play this season, he'll have 6 years to reach UFA, not 5. and maybe 2 years on ELC left, not 1.

that may put more pressure on drouin to come to play this season though i've no idea if that is what happens or does tampa actually expect it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad