Not open for further replies.

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
e38dba18422fb75e8e0e169c2b801372.jpg

You are wrong...it is raining

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Because he has earned respect among people who actually understand hockey.
ooooo it's the ol I have no real backing to my opinion but I'm just gonna say 'the people who actually understand hockey'.

Classic.

If you were not calling these trades a disaster back when they were made, you have no right to be calling them disaster after the dust settles and hindsight on your side.

No one on here was knocking either trade when we won 8 in a row heading into playoffs or when Monahan gave us a legit 2nd line center.

The trade was not the reason we lost this series, we had 10 players that underperformed in this series.

You make those trades each and every time you are in the exact situation we were in and live with the results.
I mean the Monahan trade was pretty unanimously thought of as an overpay. You can go check how I felt about that deal pre it happening and post it happening in those threads if you really like.

Toffoli less so, price wasn't as bad, but he ended up being a horrible fit.

Reactions: Team Bring It

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
IDK. Feel like the usage of Miller suggests that Bones got to pick the players, and didn't pick 'em well, and suspect that we saw a further addition in Toffoli b/c Bowness didn't trust Perfetti -- but like you I can't really be arsed to argue the point in any detail.

Let's agree that both GM and coaching staff need a long hard look -- and then maybe agree that GM and likely some or all coaches stick around.
Close enough ;) - although I think Miller was nothing more than depth (was it a 4th we gave up?) - Monahan and Toffoli were the key pcs.

Reactions: Jets 31

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
If you were not calling these trades a disaster back when they were made, you have no right to be calling them disaster after the dust settles and hindsight on your side.

No one on here was knocking either trade when we won 8 in a row heading into playoffs or when Monahan gave us a legit 2nd line center.

The trade was not the reason we lost this series, we had 10 players that underperformed in this series.

You make those trades each and every time you are in the exact situation we were in and live with the results.

To label these trades a disaster is silly as well. For all you know, we just gave up a Kristin Vesalainen, Lukas Sutter and Jack Glover for 2 legit NHL top 6 players.
Chevy said from day 1 we were a draft and develop team UNTIL we got good enough to compete and then he would add if he could. Not all trades are so one sided that the GM is always going to hit it out of the park , same as all draft picks don't always develop into stars . I think Chevy has done ok in both areas .

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I mean the Monahan trade was pretty unanimously thought of as an overpay. You can go check how I felt about that deal pre it happening and post it happening in those threads if you really like.

Toffoli less so, price wasn't as bad, but he ended up being a horrible fit.
Pretty unanimously?

3. Winnipeg Jets, 41-19-5, 87 PTS, .669 Point Percentage
Post-Deadline Grade: A

Winnipeg Jets: B​

Adding Tyler Toffoli on Friday and Sean Monahan earlier is a big boost to their top six forwards. Colin Miller joins the defense.

1. Grade: A​

General manager Kevin Cheveldayoff is not typically the most aggressive executive in the league, and that patience can sometimes hold the Jets back from taking a bigger step forward. It sometimes leaves them in that messy middle ground that nobody ever wants to be in.
    But give him credit here, he had a good team that has exceeded expectations and he added two big pieces in Sean Monahan and Tyler Toffoli to give them a real chance in the Western Conference.
    Connor Hellebuyck is having an incredible year in goal, but they needed a little scoring depth to really extend their lineup and balance out the scoring. Monahan, and especially Toffoli, will help do that at the cost of just a few draft picks.
    Getting Toffoli, who already has 26 goals this season and could hit the 35-goal mark before the season ends, without having to trade a first-round pick was probably one of the bigger steals of the trade deadline this season.
Since Monahan has been with the Jets, he has had eight goals and two assists in 15 games. He has fit in well on the second line as center.

Toffoli should be a good addition to the top six and help either unit of the power play.

Colin Miller is a depth addition on defense and should be a sixth or seventh defender.

With Monahan and Toffoli added to the lineup, the Jets have 11 forwards who have scored 10 goals or more this year.

Overall Grade: B+

The winners in my eyes were Vegas, Colorado and Winnipeg with Dallas, Minnesota and Nashville doing sneaky good jobs.
Consider by most to be a decent trade considering the point totals he produced for us down the stretch and solidifying our 2C which was a major hole for us.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Helle's issue to me is he isn't in his physical prime anylonger but is still tasked with a work load as if he were. I look at Bob in Florida for how you get the best out of an older high end goalie. You need the correct load management plan.

This org needs to get a first rate sports science department and start finding the optimal minutes to deploy our aging core so that they are fresh in the playoffs.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I didn't mind the Monahan trade during the regular season, we definitely needed a little help at center but Toffoli never turned out. I would think being a GM in Winnipeg is tough considering more than half the players don't want to come here. If Chevy did absolutely nothing and we got kicked like this people would be saying if only Chevy made some additions we could have won, what a waste. Bowness made some really questionable lineup decisions that i think was more of a problem .
Bingo

Chevy is damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't

People hated the monahan trade, then loved it, and now hate it again. That's the benefit of hindsight

People who always have their pitchforks out for everyone will find a reason to be dissatisfied

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Pretty unanimously?

Consider by most to be a decent trade considering the point totals he produced for us down the stretch and solidifying our 2C which was a major hole for us.
How many people wanted to pay a 1st rounder for Monahan around here? Go back and look at the speculation. I don't really care how Monahan did in the regular season to be honest. We failed in the playoffs, he was not good, and we gave up a 1st and 2nd (toffoli) to do so. Was it a worthy gamble? Maybe, but it failed.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Bingo

People hated the monahan trade, then loved it, and now hate it again. That's the benefit of hindsight

People who always have their pitchforks out for everyone will find a reason to be dissatisfied

I didn't mind the Monohan trade but his lack of speed from his injuries was much more apparent in the postseason and rendered him less effective. Having seen that I would be taking a pass on inking him long term.

I was never on board for Toffoli. I've never liked him as a player and he showed exactly why this postseason.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Pretty unanimously?

maybe folks need to stop handing out TDL grades until the POs conclude.

even our grade the TDL thread was made a day or 2 after the TDL..... they barely played any games, and importantly 0 PO games.

anyway both things can be true, regular-season: monahan was v good, tofolli was alright. POs: id say neither were good at all esp. monahan.

how you weight regular-season vs PO play is up to you. but i think most consider POs more significant.

Reactions: MardyBum and ERYX

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I didn't mind the Monohan trade but his lack of speed from his injuries was much more apparent in the postseason and rendered him less effective. Having seen that I would be taking a pass on inking him long term.

I was never on board for Toffoli. I've never liked him as a player and he showed exactly why this postseason.
Agreed

The funny thing is that guys like Monahan and Toffoli were exposed vs the Avs because of their lack of speed but may have shown better vs a different 1st round match up.

Zooming out a bit, I think that Colorado was a nightmare 1st round matchup for us (likely Edmonton would have been too) despite how we handled them in the regular season. They found another level and we lost a few of ours

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada

By scoring 2 goals?

Meanwhile, scoring ZERO goals was Vilardi, Appleton, Ehlers, Nino, Iafallo, Monahan, and several others.

Geez, guys, get some perspective!

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Agreed

The funny thing is that guys like Monahan and Toffoli were exposed vs the Avs because of their lack of speed but may have shown better vs a different 1st round match up.

Zooming out a bit, I think that Colorado was a nightmare 1st round matchup for us (likely Edmonton would have been too) despite how we handled them in the regular season. They found another level and we lost a few of ours
I don't think it matters. I've come to the conclusion, after six seasons of this garbage, that the Jets are the real frauds. Rubbish team made up of soft and weak players who do well in regular season and then pack it up and go home for the playoffs. Everyone else has another gear in the playoffs, literally everyone else, Jets downshift and exit meekly without any fight. LA would have handled us. If we were in the East NYI or Capitals would have owned us.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
You mean depth at F? Goaltending? Team D?

Biggest hole IMO? Behind the bench.
I just don't understand how a coach can instill a great defensive system for half a season and walk away from it. I don't know whether Bones is too soft on the players and allows them to abandon the game, or what ... but clearly he isn't getting the job done and needs to go.

But this is essentially the same team that has not shown up for a playoff game since 2018. So as much as the coaches ALL need to go, so do most of the skaters. I used to think Chevy did a great job in the toughest job in pro sports, but he built this team of low character losers who crumple like single-ply toilet paper every playoffs. People like to mock the Leafs' inability to get past round 1 but at least they put up a fight (to wit their win last night). Jets don't even do that, they're barely a speed bump to whoever gets to face them in round one. That CAN'T be only coaching but maybe coaching could improve it.

Reactions: rkp

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Maybe something to work on in the offseason for him? (And the Jets D, but him too). No idea how much that would effect a goalies game to change up how you approach screens.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I don't think it matters. I've come to the conclusion, after six seasons of this garbage, that the Jets are the real frauds. Rubbish team made up of soft and weak players who do well in regular season and then pack it up and go home for the playoffs. Everyone else has another gear in the playoffs, literally everyone else, Jets downshift and exit meekly without any fight. LA would have handled us. If we were in the East NYI or Capitals would have owned us.
Except the other teams which were eliminated in 4 or 5 games.

Again, I know some of you guys are really hurting right now but get some bleeding perspective. Half the league doesn't make it into the playoffs. Of the teams that make the playoffs, half of them are eliminated in the first round.

You can call the team rubbish and weak and frauds, but after you've have your tantrum and dried your eyes, look back on the season we've had and think how many fans in this league would have loved to be in our place.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I'm sure you can find a different team to cheer for who are perpetual contenders with big, strong players. After this round, 25% of the teams that started the season will still be playing. Maybe start your search there

• Haha
Reactions: Stumbledore

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Bingo

Like any position in any career, you live and die by your decisions - Making no moves is not the answer - either is making the wrong moves.
It's debatable how much impact these moves had on the end result - but they can certainly be considered.
Yes, the pitchforks are out - it's a hockey forum and they are usually always out to some extent and everyone (players, coaches, management) will be part of it.
If you disagree, make your point - but I don't get calling out "people" for voicing an opinion on a hockey form - isn't that a big part of what goes on around here?

Reactions: Bigfish
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad