GDT: Trade Deadline 2016: Apparently the Price is Wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Legit question... how many KHL developed defensemen are playing impact roles in the NHL?

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
So, many people expected Wiercioch and we ended up with Gelinas.

They seem to be very similar players, is that right?

In terms of value? I'd say so.

I'm not saying he can't ever play in the NHL... he just isn't going to be a huge impact player. If the Avs got a solid bottom pairing defensemen that is nasty to play against, they did well. Wood has more potential than that... he could be an impact player. It is just risky and going to take a solid 3-4 more years for him to get his footing.

This is it for me, Mironov is safer to reach his ceiling, Wood has some question marks.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I think this was really good trade deadline for us. Our biggest leak was having no wing depth and we added two Matthias and Boedker. I think we improved our team quite a bit, obviously it cost us some picks, but I dont think we lost too much for all these pieces. Good job I would say.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Leafs announce they will buy out Cowen so they don't take the risk of him playing the rest of the year.

Wonder if he would have had a NHL future without the injuries.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Panarin is the exception, not the norm.

Plotnikov just got traded for a conditional 7th. Sucks we weren't in on him, too?

Surprise! Playing 4th line minutes results in terrible numbers! Also really depends on the player. I see quite a few guys out there I wish the Avs would have taken a chance on drafting in late rounds or signing in the offseason.

Dominik Kubalik, Sergei Kalinin, Christian Jaros, Miro Aaltonen.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Not many, but does that mean none will in the future? Not saying that Mironov will be one, but you never know.

I'm not saying he can't be, not by any means am I saying that. The KHL hasn't been great for developing NHL defensemen though.

spiller19

Sep 23, 2013
Haven't seen it mentioned here yet but doesn't anyone else think that Gelinas might be replacing Bigras not bondarchuk? A Bigras Gelinas bottom pairing doesn't seem like something Roy would like and I don't see our top 4 being split up.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
Haven't seen it mentioned here yet but doesn't anyone else think that Gelinas might be replacing Bigras not bondarchuk? A Bigras Gelinas bottom pairing doesn't seem like something Roy would like and I don't see our top 4 being split up.

Pretty sure someone said Sakic said Gelinas would be paired with Bigras.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
It'll be interesting to see who gets bumped from the PP if both Gelinas and Boedker get PP time. Comeau is the obvious one. I guess Beachemin might not be on the PP to not wear him out.

Would be nice to see FB get a few less minutes, though honestly EJ has been terrible on the PP of late.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Mironov possibly never coming over is a factor too. It creates uncertainty in a different area but is just as valid. If X doesn't ever play in the NHL for Y factor then it is all the same.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com

Bigras has been a perfect 3rd pair D man thus far. My only real complaint is that he has taken a few bad penalties, though I would probably agree with the notion that most of those were made as a result of covering for a bad play by his D partner.

Gelinas might be terrible, but he can't be any more terrible than the other options and certainly has more upside.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Bryan Murray says he tried really hard on Drouin but no dice.

Yzerman is an idiot. He's looking for similar value back but he's not going to get it.

Take a prospect and a 2nd and deal with it. The situation is screwed and you look worse everyday.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I'm not saying he can't be, not by any means am I saying that. The KHL hasn't been great for developing NHL defensemen though.

I'd say a big part in that was the fact that NHL teams threw KHL players in the fire without giving them a lot of chance to develop, case in point is Belov. He was a good KHL D, not great, but very good. Yet Edmonton wasted him by throwing him in the frying pan. KHL is a different game to the NHL, players need to adapt and learn those fine details about the NA game.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Surprise! Playing 4th line minutes results in terrible numbers! Also really depends on the player. I see quite a few guys out there I wish the Avs would have taken a chance on drafting in late rounds or signing in the offseason.

Dominik Kubalik, Sergei Kalinin, Christian Jaros, Miro Aaltonen.

There aren't many in the KHL who are worth while, and even less who will make the kind of impact that Panarin has.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Bigras has been a perfect 3rd pair D man thus far. My only real complaint is that he has taken a few bad penalties, though I would probably agree with the notion that most of those were made as a result of covering for a bad play by his D partner.

Gelinas might be terrible, but he can't be any more terrible than the other options and certainly has more upside.

I feel like we keep saying that and we keep getting proven wrong.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'd say a big part in that was the fact that NHL teams threw KHL players in the fire without giving them a lot of chance to develop, case in point is Belov. He was a good KHL D, not great, but very good. Yet Edmonton wasted him by throwing him in the frying pan. KHL is a different game to the NHL, players need to adapt and learn those fine details about the NA game.

I had high hopes for Belov when he came over from the KHL to Edmonton. Seemed to have natural defensive instincts and good mobility. Oilers didn't use him well, though.

spiller19

Sep 23, 2013
Pretty sure someone said Sakic said Gelinas would be paired with Bigras.

Oh I missed that. Hopefully they find chemistry together. Rather take a chance and play those two together than having someone like bondarchuk who has no future here in the line up.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
I feel like we keep saying that and we keep getting proven wrong.

True...though while the Devils of now are not the Devils of old......I have a hard time believing a 6/7 D man from the Devils won't be better than a 6/7 D man from the Avalanche. Plus Gelinas at least has some prospect left in him. The others thus far have all been vet/ahl plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad