GDT: Trade Deadline 2015

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
True, if they are a budget team this may help them in some capacity then. However, Clarkson isn't just a huge contract. He is also not a very good hockey player.

Eh, even a poor bottom six player is better than someone not contributing in the slightest.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
I think k Clarkson will play the next two years in Columbus, maybe 3 if he's playing decently for them, and then get bought out with 2/3 years remaining on his contract. Like I mentioned before at least Clarkson can be bought out

May 27, 2012
Earth
I am seeing on the main board is that Clarkson had bonuses with his contract. So if he ever did get bought out, Columbus would only have to deal with his base salary. At least that is my understanding.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I like this for both parties tbh.

Me too. It really is a win-win situation for both clubs. Sure, Columbus could have gotten a better player, but the Leafs probably had all the right variables to make this work:

- Ownership with money to burn
- A player with a crappy contract that needed to be dumped
- Needing cap space

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
I know Nonis is at fault for these contracts but if he gets rid of one of Kessel and Dion, pref Kessel then hes a stud. If he does both and gets fired I think he will have really saved face.

May 27, 2012
Earth
What a waste of money for MLSE. Nonis bought out Grabovski to sign Clakson to only move him for a player that will never play for them. 30M+ down the drain. That is about 9-10 million a year on Grabovski and Horton. Rough.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
What a waste of money for MLSE. Nonis bought out Grabovski to sign Clakson to only move him for a player that will never play for them. 30M+ down the drain. That is about 9-10 million a year on Grabovski and Horton. Rough.

The key to me is although mistakes were made the team is essentially hitting a reset button and getting out of a bad situation. I'm not saying I would want him to be our next GM, but hes taken a horrible situation and turned it into a level playing field.

May 27, 2012
Earth
The key to me is although mistakes were made the team is essentially hitting a reset button and getting out of a bad situation. I'm not saying I would want him to be our next GM, but hes taken a horrible situation and turned it into a level playing field.

A situation he started. Still terrible. I am sure Ownership is happy lol. He was probably like this "It's not my money :dunno: "

May 27, 2012
Earth
To be fair though, Clarkson was good in NJ, it's not like he just offered a blank check and told him to sign.

He wasn't "good". He had one season with 30 goals and 16 assists. pretty sure he played with Kovalchuk that season. He is 3rd liner who can play 2nd line, a glorified 3rd liner. TSN hyped him up really hard to make him seem like the best FA of all time. It doesn't justify signing him to that contract. If it was 1 million and less term people wouldn't have a problem with it.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
But we have no idea what the actual GM's at the time were offering. For all you know the going rate was 5x5m and the Leafs had to offer the extra .25 to win.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I like this a lot for both teams. Very creative thinking apparently on the part of the Jackets and you can see why TO jumped at the deal. In no way will I argue that Clarkson is worth his contract, but his style of play really fits in with how the Jackets like to play. He's absolutely overpaid, but at least the Jackets get a guy who will provide them with actual minutes and fits in with their identity. The benefits for the Leafs are obvious.

The Jackets are indeed a budget team, so why not get something in your lineup if you're paying for it?

May 27, 2012
Earth
But we have no idea what the actual GM's at the time were offering. For all you know the going rate was 5x5m and the Leafs had to offer the extra .25 to win.

Okay? But does that justify signing a 2nd/3rd line guy to 5.25M/per? Edmonton offered him more I believe, and he chose the Leafs. Edmonton is grateful that he ended up in T.O.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Who knows if Clarkson is able to resurrect his form alongside the likes of Johansen, Dubinsky, or Anisimov? Their left wingers include Foligno and Hartnell. He'll definitely get a chance to play alongside any of those players, and they're a huge upgrade to the line he played on the Leafs team.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Okay? But does that justify signing a 2nd/3rd line guy to 5.25M/per? Edmonton offered him more I believe, and he chose the Leafs. Edmonton is grateful that he ended up in T.O.

Edmonton did indeed offer more; something around 6M per, same term. If the reports are true, Clarkson used the Oilers offer to get a better deal from Toronto. The Senators and I think the Blue Jackets were also on interested if I remember correctly.

Still, there's no excuse for that contract. A smart GM would have bowed out the second the price went over 4M per. That contract alone should be enough to make other organizations wary of hiring Nonis.

No he really wasn't. I watched close to 60 NJ games the season he put up 30 goals. It was by far the luckiest 30 goal campaign that I have ever seen. Beyond that, he was useless. Blackhole defensively, 'gritty' but in a way that caused him to make countless errors, and constantly go out of position. GMs saw his production made him stupid offers. The very day he signed that deal it was decried as the worst contract in NHL and only the horde of Leafs fans would defend it. There is a reason they are ecstatic to have him off their team.

All true. The reasoning behind the trade from the Blue Jackets is easy enough to understand but they'll never be happy with Clarkson's play with respects to his salary.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
To be fair though, Clarkson was good in NJ, it's not like he just offered a blank check and told him to sign.

No he really wasn't. I watched close to 60 NJ games the season he put up 30 goals. It was by far the luckiest 30 goal campaign that I have ever seen. Beyond that, he was useless. Blackhole defensively, 'gritty' but in a way that caused him to make countless errors, and constantly go out of position. GMs saw his production made him stupid offers. The very day he signed that deal it was decried as the worst contract in NHL and only the horde of Leafs fans would defend it. There is a reason they are ecstatic to have him off their team.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
The Leafs wanted to become a successful playoff team and they signed a 30 goal scorer. In hindsight it was dumb but at the time he did what he thought was best to improve the team and took a chance. I stand by my point.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Both teams are probably really happy with that trade. Good on the teams involved.
I agree, smart for both for thinking outside the box.

I wonder why Horton's contract was uninsured though, maybe uninsurable due to his injury history? If not it seems like a major oversight on the part if CBJ

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Not sure if just speculation but from TSN they wanted to once he came back from a shoulder injury but never got the chance.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I agree, smart for both for thinking outside the box.

Hey now, let's not give Nonis more credit than he deserves! :sarcasm:

I wonder why Horton's contract was uninsured though, maybe uninsurable due to his injury history? If not it seems like a major oversight on the part if CBJ

Yeah he's got a long injury history so either insurance companies wouldn't cover him or it would have been too costly for Columbus to pay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad