Trade Deadline 2015 Part II

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Pulock / Griff should definitely be given playing time over Strait in the reg season, IMO

See if they could possibly be better in the playoffs then Strait.

In terms of our d specs though Pulock is the most NHL ready.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Pulock / Griff should definitely be given playing time over Strait in the reg season, IMO

See if they could possibly be better in the playoffs then Strait.

In terms of our d specs though Pulock is the most NHL ready.

I think Reinhart is more ready than Pulock who has yet to even play an NHL game yet. I'd like to see Pulock get in a regular season game or two or three before the playoffs so he doesn't make his NHL debut during the playoffs like Nelson did.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
I think Reinhart is more ready than Pulock who has yet to even play an NHL game yet. I'd like to see Pulock get in a regular season game or two or three before the playoffs so he doesn't make his NHL debut during the playoffs like Nelson did.

Reinhart looked bad when he played earlier this yr for us

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
I hear you, and I don't intend to rush them either. All I am suggesting is give them a look see at year end then determine. I already believe that our bottom pairing is going to be in trouble come playoffs. I am not saying that we just plug Pulock or Griff in for playoffs, but give them a few games at year end. If one of them impresses put him on the playoff roster if not then at least they got a bit of NHL experience to build on and guys like Viz might have a game or two more of rest. Griff was not ready earlier this year, likely he still isn't, Pulock looked better to me but has missed a ton of time so I don't want to force anything. Just want whatever our best team is going into the playoffs.

Totally agree !!!! I haven't seen any BPort games so not sure who is the more ready of the two. Even more of a reason to let them show their stuff in last few games of season. Be good to see either or both in the Pittsburgh game, although I hope neither would get undressed by Crosby or Malkin and knock down their confidence at all.

Sneekypete

Mar 10, 2008
Branford,Ct
www.mprete.com
Totally agree !!!! I haven't seen any BPort games so not sure who is the more ready of the two. Even more of a reason to let them show their stuff in last few games of season. Be good to see either or both in the Pittsburgh game, although I hope neither would get undressed by Crosby or Malkin and knock down their confidence at all.

They are both ready to play in the NHL , they play totally different styles. I would presently take Pulcok his puck skills and ability to slow the game in Bport right now over Griffin and this is not a knock on griff because he is good on players coming from the outside and has a very active stick in the defensive zone. I think it would be more need ,for which player will be in the line up or when. I do wish griffin was a bit nastier but its ok at this point while still getting his feet wet

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Reinhart looked bad when he played earlier this yr for us

I don't totally agree with that. He made some mistakes - that's true. But, he also did some very good things. His game against the Blackhawks was his best of the season and he unfortunately got sent down soon after.

I would have rather kept him up and given Strait's starts to Reinhart. At least a good deal of them. I'm sure there would have been some bumps, but overall, Reinhart over Strait wouldn't have materially changed our record. And then we would be dealing with a rookie with 30-50 games under his belt. Best case scenario, he has improved and would be a viable option for the playoffs. If that didn't come to pass, we would have what we have now.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
They are both ready to play in the NHL , they play totally different styles. I would presently take Pulcok his puck skills and ability to slow the game in Bport right now over Griffin and this is not a knock on griff because he is good on players coming from the outside and has a very active stick in the defensive zone. I think it would be more need ,for which player will be in the line up or when. I do wish griffin was a bit nastier but its ok at this point while still getting his feet wet

That's great news about them Pete, I respect your opinion greatly when it comes to anything Bridgeport.

We had to acquire Neuvirth because we had no viable options to replace a struggling CJ. We acquired Kennedy because we were resorting to AHLers to play a big role in the interim. Garth didn't bother upgrading the blue line at the TDL because he knows that he's got those young aces up his sleeve. As you noted, they all bring something different to the table so it will come down to who fits the immediate need best.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY

I certainly hope your right but how can you say that so definitively? This is Pulock's first year of playing pro versus men and there is a world of difference between AHL and NHL. Also, Griff didn't exactly look great in the beginning of the year and that wasn't playoff hockey.

I agree with you on Griff needed to rachet up the nasty factor. As I have said, I haven't seen any BPort games and maybe he has improved on that but what I saw earlier in the year makes me think Hickey is more imposing at this point.

Sneekypete

Mar 10, 2008
Branford,Ct
www.mprete.com
I certainly hope your right but how can you say that so definitively? This is Pulock's first year of playing pro versus men and there is a world of difference between AHL and NHL. Also, Griff didn't exactly look great in the beginning of the year and that wasn't playoff hockey.

I agree with you on Griff needed to rachet up the nasty factor. As I have said, I haven't seen any BPort games and maybe he has improved on that but what I saw earlier in the year makes me think Hickey is more imposing at this point.

Over the last 30 years of my life I have been a season ticket holder or package holder to minor league hockey in New Haven and Bport and have followed certain prospects from minute one. Maybe I am wrong but I have a pretty good track record with correctly gauging prospects on the past

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007

Definitely agree. Everything I heard about him coming through the draft was Griffin was supposed to be a big physical defensive defenseman, weren't people comparing him to Pronger? From what I have seen so far, this guy looks afraid to hit guys half his size. Not intimidating whatsoever.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Griff was never listed as being physical. He uses his body and long reach to separate player from puck and has a lot of untapped offensive upside. People expected Pronger and that's why they're down on him... but that was never his game to begin with. All he needed was an adjustment to the speed of the game and he's fine now. They're working on his offense in BP and he's putting up numbers as an AHL rookie equal to what ye was as a vet in the dub.

Last edited:

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Griff was never listed as being physical. He uses his body and long reach to separate player from puck and has a lot of untapped offensive upside. People expected Pronger and that's why they're down on him... but that was never his game to begin with. All he needed was an adjustment to the speed of the game and he's fine now. They're working on his offense in BP and he's putting up numbers as an AHL rookie equal to what ye was as a vet in the dub.

The only numbers I see him putting up are ridiculously bad +/- numbers. Even bad compared to the rest of the team, actually THE worst.

Sneekypete

Mar 10, 2008
Branford,Ct
www.mprete.com
The only numbers I see him putting up are ridiculously bad +/- numbers. Even bad compared to the rest of the team, actually THE worst.
I will start out by saying I am pretty sure you don`t see Bport play on a regular basis.
Well Bports team is pathetic and he plays against the other teams top line and a defenseman is only as good as the pieces around him. He can`t control all 5 guys on the ice for the other team. Also Bport is inept offensively even strength, so that adds to the issue...
You could also say Pulock has twice as many goals as assists does that mean he is a terrible passer?

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Do you understand how this stuff works?

So let me get this straight. When a guy like Strome has a great +/- it is because he makes everybody around him better. When a guy like Strait (who I agree stinks) has a bad +/- it is because he is always on the ice for goals against. But if Reinhart has a bad +/- it is because everybody else on the ice is at fault and he cant control them.........ooooookay, I got it.

Sneekypete

Mar 10, 2008
Branford,Ct
www.mprete.com
So let me get this straight. When a guy like Strome has a great +/- it is because he makes everybody around him better. When a guy like Strait (who I agree stinks) has a bad +/- it is because he is always on the ice for goals against. But if Reinhart has a bad +/- it is because everybody else on the ice is at fault and he cant control them.........ooooookay, I got it.

/facepalm
You believe what you want when it comes to plus minus and reading stats , I will go by watching players play live...

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site

Yeah, it's so weird how when the numbers line up with what people see happen, people are more inclined to feel the numbers are indicative of what happened. :sarcasm:

Without watching Reinhart's play in Bridgeport, it's difficult to gauge how indicative his +/- is of his actual play. At least one poster who watches Reinhart regularly in the AHL is saying that it's not indicative of his play, which is more than what we have saying that it is.

But if you feel we should ignore the eye test and rely on +/-, Bailey's a +11 and Okposo is -2. Should we also think Bailey is better than Okposo?

Edit: Also, while we're at it, 19 pts in 42 games for a defensive d-man is rather good. Not sure where you're getting that he's not putting up offense.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Yeah, it's so weird how when the numbers line up with what people see happen, people are more inclined to feel the numbers are indicative of what happened. :sarcasm:

Without watching Reinhart's play in Bridgeport, it's difficult to gauge how indicative his +/- is of his actual play. At least one poster who watches Reinhart regularly in the AHL is saying that it's not indicative of his play, which is more than what we have saying that it is.

But if you feel we should ignore the eye test and rely on +/-, Bailey's a +11 and Okposo is -2. Should we also think Bailey is better than Okposo?

Edit: Also, while we're at it, 19 pts in 42 games for a defensive d-man is rather good. Not sure where you're getting that he's not putting up offense.

Offensively, of course. But Bailey is without a doubt better defensively than Okposo, and you know it.

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
Reinhart looked like a poor mans Strait in his short NHL time this year. Obviously things could change and being in the AHL hopefully improved his game. I would not count on Reinhart being able to contribute this year

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Offense is included just as much in +/- as defense is. So, I should believe Bailey is the superior overall player?

He's better at ensuring we get the better of scoring over the course of a year. Okposo's ability to create more offense is needed in individual games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad