Trade Deadline 2015 Part II

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Why? We should think of our selves as contenders

We ARE contenders, plain and simple. I know some of us find it hard to admit that, but it's reality.

Snow didn't have to do too much because this team is solid. The fact that we were nitpicking about our backup goalie (since remedied) and our bottom defense pairing... that says volumes about how good this team really is.

Once KO, Cizikas, and hopefully Grabovski are back - then this team will streak into the playoffs and do some damage. When we play our game, we impose our will on the other team and they have to react to us.

Crispy385

Jul 23, 2008

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
We ARE contenders, plain and simple. I know some of us find it hard to admit that, but it's reality.

Snow didn't have to do too much because this team is solid. The fact that we were nitpicking about our backup goalie (since remedied) and our bottom defense pairing... that says volumes about how good this team really is.

Once KO, Cizikas, and hopefully Grabovski are back - then this team will streak into the playoffs and do some damage. When we play our game, we impose our will on the other team and they have to react to us.

Like the poster 385 said, I think the line was taken out of context by the other poster. I believe, we are contenders.

I do think it comes down to how well Halak plays when the stage is the biggest.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
Solid moves by Garth Snow.. I am happy with the deadline. I wanted a backup goalie and some additional scoring help is a plus. Kennedy is light years better then Cmac and Mouleratt.

We have depth in the defense department. I hope that we bring up Pulock and Reinhart for a few games playing some NHL mins as a test drive. No harm in it.. rather they get their feet wet now and acclimated then god forbid a defense injury in the playoffs forcing them to step up.

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
Solid moves by Garth Snow.. I am happy with the deadline. I wanted a backup goalie and some additional scoring help is a plus. Kennedy is light years better then Cmac and Mouleratt.

We have depth in the defense department. I hope that we bring up Pulock and Reinhart for a few games playing some NHL mins as a test drive. No harm in it.. rather they get their feet wet now and acclimated then god forbid a defense injury in the playoffs forcing them to step up.

Good deadline, agreed. I was debating this with another poster today, so I'm curious what others think: is this team a legit contender (not in the "anyone who makes the playoffs" is a contender way, but rather "This team has a better than average chance to win the Stanley Cup" way)? I still don't think so, even post-deadline, because I don't think our PK or top 6 D is where it needs to be. But I think I'm in the minority.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Good deadline, agreed. I was debating this with another poster today, so I'm curious what others think: is this team a legit contender (not in the "anyone who makes the playoffs" is a contender way, but rather "This team has a better than average chance to win the Stanley Cup" way)? I still don't think so, even post-deadline, because I don't think our PK or top 6 D is where it needs to be. But I think I'm in the minority.

I don't know about the minority, but you are not alone.

Like you said, our PK and defense are a problem, as is the lack of size in the top 6. And don't even get me started on the coaching staff.

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
I don't know about the minority, but you are not alone.

Like you said, our PK and defense are a problem, as is the lack of size in the top 6. And don't even get me started on the coaching staff.

Here's where I wander off the advanced stats reservation a bit: I'm not afraid of small people, and fear changes how you play. I don't mean that as an insult; the best hockey players I've played against have been much smaller than me, so I acknowledge that fear is one tiny component of how we play. But I think I might be able to push Thomas Hickey off the puck. And I played defense, so I think I understand how intimidation plays a part. I think Theo Fleury could have very easily taken the puck and my girlfriend from me, but Hickey lacks that fierceness.

It doesn't mean that Hickey's CF% is less important, and it doesn't impugn the notion of statistical assessment, it just brings in the human element that explains WHY players do certain things at certain times. If I see Hickey lining up to hit me, I'm skating right through that check. And that reshapes the game in a small, possibly unquantifiable way.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
Here's where I wander off the advanced stats reservation a bit: I'm not afraid of small people, and fear changes how you play. I don't mean that as an insult; the best hockey players I've played against have been much smaller than me, so I acknowledge that fear is one tiny component of how we play. But I think I might be able to push Thomas Hickey off the puck. And I played defense, so I think I understand how intimidation plays a part. I think Theo Fleury could have very easily taken the puck and my girlfriend from me, but Hickey lacks that fierceness.

It doesn't mean that Hickey's CF% is less important, and it doesn't impugn the notion of statistical assessment, it just brings in the human element that explains WHY players do certain things at certain times. If I see Hickey lining up to hit me, I'm skating right through that check. And that reshapes the game in a small, possibly unquantifiable way.

IMO, hickey actually throws a fantastic body check, especially for someone his size

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
IMO, hickey actually throws a fantastic body check, especially for someone his size

I don't disagree that he makes a solid effort, but I suppose I'm doing what I hate when other people do: appealing to your sense of what is happening that can't be quantified. I honestly believe at 6'3 and 200 lbs., I could steamroll him. I don't feel that way about many NHLers, regardless of size.

But I'd certainly be open to hearing why I'm off base, since I'd like the team to make hay while the sun shines.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I don't disagree that he makes a solid effort, but I suppose I'm doing what I hate when other people do: appealing to your sense of what is happening that can't be quantified. I honestly believe at 6'3 and 200 lbs., I could steamroll him. I don't feel that way about many NHLers, regardless of size.

But I'd certainly be open to hearing why I'm off base, since I'd like the team to make hay while the sun shines.

I get where you are going with this and I'm in complete agreement. Hickey is a major physical liability and everyone knows it. The thing I love most about this team is that they impose their will on others and it's up to the other team to react to it. Unfortunately, I just see the opposite dynamic when watching anyone go up against Hickey Mouse in any physical confrontation.

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
I get where you are going with this and I'm in complete agreement. Hickey is a major physical liability and everyone knows it. The thing I love most about this team is that they impose their will on others and it's up to the other team to react to it. Unfortunately, I just see the opposite dynamic when watching anyone go up against Hickey Mouse in any physical confrontation.

I mean it when I say I want to be wrong. I was/am a lunkheaded hockey player, and I'll be playing in the Rocky Sullivan's tournament at the end of this month thinking the same stuff I'm thinking now: a scared team plays differently from a comfortable team. Hickey makes people comfortable. I suspect if they had advanced stats in high school, my hextal plot would have been a bright, blushing red but at least I made people miserable.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

I think we are a cup contender. Not an even money favorite but a team that is solidly in the mix. The things you mentioned probably couldn't have been solved at the TDL without giving up a prized prospect. We weren't getting a Norris Trophy caliber defenseman and we've managed fine without one so far. The PK (which if not fixed will be what bites us in the ass in the postseason) is more a function of coaching than a TDL fix.

I really believe the Isles have sufficient talent on the roster right now to get to the ECF, provided we get our injured forwards back to their pre-injury form. With some luck the SCF is a real possibility. Every team that wins the Cup gets
Some luck along the way. We get scoring from other than our top line, defense that chips in some goals, good speed, solid gotending. They have beaten a ton of good teams this year and shown that they can win coming from behind. Scenarios they will see in the playoffs.

Again, I don't think the Islanders are the 8 seed type of team that is just looking for a couple of bounces to get lucky and advance a couple of rounds in the playoffs. I think they can advance on their talents. They're not the best constructed team in the league, every team has its flaws, but I do think they have enough talent to win today.

The Islanders will not be the favorites to win the Cup but they aren't a wing-and-a-prayer long shot either. They are a legitimate contender.

For the record, I think our ragged, uneven play recently is more a factor of an insane February schedule and less of "see, the Islanders are coming back to earth".

Last edited:

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013

Without knowing the matchups, I would give us about a 50% chance of beating any team in the east. So that puts us at 0.5^3 of making the SC final. Then I'd give us a 40% chance of beating whoever makes it through the Western Conference gauntlet. So that puts us at a 0.5^3*0.4. Which give us roughly a 5% chance of winning the cup.

Vegas has us at 9%.

Last edited:

MBossy22

Feb 9, 2015
Long Island, NY

I agree 100% which is why I was extremely surprised we didnt add ANY D help at all at the deadline.

With the way our Special teams has played, and the lack of real depth on D will hurt us in the playoffs. Everyone knows in the playoffs things get a little tighter, and a little harder when it comes to using speed. Special teams will be a huge factor. Hope I'm proven wrong.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I agree 100% which is why I was extremely surprised we didnt add ANY D help at all at the deadline.

With the way our Special teams has played, and the lack of real depth on D will hurt us in the playoffs. Everyone knows in the playoffs things get a little tighter, and a little harder when it comes to using speed. Special teams will be a huge factor. Hope I'm proven wrong.

The Isles' problem is they don't have a bonafide top defenseman. If you look at all of the other contending teams, they all have that one guy who's a cut above the rest. This definitely isn't the time to be looking for one of those.

MBossy22

Feb 9, 2015
Long Island, NY
The Isles' problem is they don't have a bonafide top defenseman. If you look at all of the other contending teams, they all have that one guy who's a cut above the rest. This definitely isn't the time to be looking for one of those.

I would be fine with Leddy and Boychuck filling that "role". We could have used depth more than anything.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island

Our lack of size on D along with development are the reasons I would like to see at least one, maybe two of, Pulock/Reinhardt/even maybe Mayfield, get a few NHL minutes before the end of the season.. Yes maybe they show that they aren't ready but a few games could be good for their experience and maybe we catch lightning in a bottle if someone (most likely Pulock) shows he can contribute in the playoffs. I am not saying go all in but how about a test drive at the end of the year? I think having such little size on D will hamper us in the playoffs. If it doesn't work and means we lose 2 or 3 points for the regular season, then I would be ok with that, since I am more concerned about going into the playoffs healthy and with the best chance to win rather than finishing 1st (or even 2nd, but home ice would be nice). I won't get on management too much if they don't since they may be able to evaluate this from what they have already seen (I have not seen one BST game this year) but it would be nice if it could work, I have seen enough of Strait, Hickey and the quickly aging Viz to know that we could use some help there… just a thought and too bad Pulock lost so much time to injury this year, I thought he looked like he was ready to belong in the preseason, moreso then Griff.

If not, I would not be surprised to see Carkner on the playoff roster as a 7th or 8th D over Donovan, just for the size factor. Not ideal I know.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

I routinely moved guys bigger than myself from the crease along with won physical battles and contests despite a size ddisparity Abe, but I also had extremely strong lower body muscles and balance compared to many others so I hear you, and also want you to know I am not talking about intimidation . That is more a nice extra that comes with being 6'3" and built like a brick ****house. I am talking raw physics. I would have been all that much better if I was that guy though. Physics is physics. Big is important when most of the forwards you face are big as well.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Our lack of size on D along with development are the reasons I would like to see at least one, maybe two of, Pulock/Reinhardt/even maybe Mayfield, get a few NHL minutes before the end of the season.. Yes maybe they show that they aren't ready but a few games could be good for their experience and maybe we catch lightning in a bottle if someone (most likely Pulock) shows he can contribute in the playoffs. I am not saying go all in but how about a test drive at the end of the year? I think having such little size on D will hamper us in the playoffs. If it doesn't work and means we lose 2 or 3 points for the regular season, then I would be ok with that, since I am more concerned about going into the playoffs healthy and with the best chance to win rather than finishing 1st (or even 2nd, but home ice would be nice). I won't get on management too much if they don't since they may be able to evaluate this from what they have already seen (I have not seen one BST game this year) but it would be nice if it could work, I have seen enough of Strait, Hickey and the quickly aging Viz to know that we could use some help there… just a thought and too bad Pulock lost so much time to injury this year, I thought he looked like he was ready to belong in the preseason, moreso then Griff.

If not, I would not be surprised to see Carkner on the playoff roster as a 7th or 8th D over Donovan, just for the size factor. Not ideal I know.

I'd be fine bringing in Pulock and/or Griff at the end of the regular season but I think it would be a lot to ask 2 guys with NO NHL experience (and I know Griff has a few games tryout earlier in the year) to match up against the best of the best and really expect to win in the playoffs. I know we could try to shelter them, but true NHL coaches would get their top lines out there against them, just like they do when Hickey, Viz and Strait (Carkner) are out there. That and the severe coaching disadvantage are the main reason I don't see a deep run this year so would be good to get the boys some experience and let them get their feet wet. Certainly possible that they could handle playoff hockey but I would be more than surprised.

Team has a lot of good days ahead of us, that is why I am not stressing about what happens this year. Be great to have a deep run and think there is a chance especially in the East so just gonna enjoy the ride no matter when it ends.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Without knowing the matchups, I would give us about a 50% chance of beating any team in the east. So that puts us at 0.5^3 of making the SC final. Then I'd give us a 40% chance of beating whoever makes it through the Western Conference gauntlet. So that puts us at a 0.5^3*0.4. Which give us roughly a 5% chance of winning the cup.

Vegas has us at 9%.

I'm holding a Vegas ticket from my bet on the Isles back in October. 85-1 odds. Bring it on!

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
I'm holding a Vegas ticket from my bet on the Isles back in October. 85-1 odds. Bring it on!

LOL well done. That means Vegas had us at 1% to win the cup in October.

Funny though how we went from a bubble team to a top team in the conference and we only increased our odds of winning the cup by 8 percentage points.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
I'd be fine bringing in Pulock and/or Griff at the end of the regular season but I think it would be a lot to ask 2 guys with NO NHL experience (and I know Griff has a few games tryout earlier in the year) to match up against the best of the best and really expect to win in the playoffs. I know we could try to shelter them, but true NHL coaches would get their top lines out there against them, just like they do when Hickey, Viz and Strait (Carkner) are out there. That and the severe coaching disadvantage are the main reason I don't see a deep run this year so would be good to get the boys some experience and let them get their feet wet. Certainly possible that they could handle playoff hockey but I would be more than surprised.

Team has a lot of good days ahead of us, that is why I am not stressing about what happens this year. Be great to have a deep run and think there is a chance especially in the East so just gonna enjoy the ride no matter when it ends.

I hear you, and I don't intend to rush them either. All I am suggesting is give them a look see at year end then determine. I already believe that our bottom pairing is going to be in trouble come playoffs. I am not saying that we just plug Pulock or Griff in for playoffs, but give them a few games at year end. If one of them impresses put him on the playoff roster if not then at least they got a bit of NHL experience to build on and guys like Viz might have a game or two more of rest. Griff was not ready earlier this year, likely he still isn't, Pulock looked better to me but has missed a ton of time so I don't want to force anything. Just want whatever our best team is going into the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad