Trade Deadline 2015 Part II

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Got feeling we will be standing pat. And I think it's a mistake.

We need an upgrade on defense. I don't want to go into the shoots with Strait and Donovan as our backups. Can't count on Viz to be healthy and Hickey as gone through tough stretches.

The team will sell Okposo coming back from injury to be as good as a great deadline acquisition.

We had a legit strong team this year. I say go for it and add a couple of veteran pieces and March on.

I'd be fine with a Polak and Glenncross.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Got feeling we will be standing pat. And I think it's a mistake.

We need an upgrade on defense. I don't want to go into the shoots with Strait and Donovan as our backups. Can't count on Viz to be healthy and Hickey as gone through tough stretches.

The team will sell Okposo coming back from injury to be as good as a great deadline acquisition.

We had a legit strong team this year. I say go for it and add a couple of veteran pieces and March on.

I'd be fine with a Polak and Glenncross.

Okposo returning will be better than any deadline acquisition and quite frankly i'm fine with them doing so. With the way Johnson has been playing (much better) we should be going for a D-Man, any serviceable D-Man would work. Someone better than Strait and more Physical than Hickey is my criteria and I think theres a number of guys who fit it that wouldn't cost an arm & a leg.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Okposo returning will be better than any deadline acquisition and quite frankly i'm fine with them doing so. With the way Johnson has been playing (much better) we should be going for a D-Man, any serviceable D-Man would work. Someone better than Strait and more Physical than Hickey is my criteria and I think theres a number of guys who fit it that wouldn't cost an arm & a leg.

Agreed, Okposo will be our forward acquisition at the deadline. The bottom pair is what really needs to be addressed. We can't go into the playoffs with Hickey-Visnovsky as the best options we have down there.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Not a Polak fan. Honestly the only dman on this team I'd take him over is Strait. I'm pretty sure Pulock or Reinhart can't be any worse than polak.

Glencross is a nice player but honestly I don't see a deal there for us. We already have too many fwds and we're short on picks.

Trading away a mayfield or another good prospect for 2months of a 3rd liner just isn't worth it IMO.

Crispy385

Jul 23, 2008
If we get Polak and Pulock on the same team, the Butch thread is going to implode. Strait/Streit was bad enough! :sarcasm:

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Okposo and Grabovski injuries are both serious and IMO we'll be lucky to have one of the 2 back fully. I'm a little shocked by how some of you are taking KO's health and return to form for granted.

All year I didn't think we needed another NHL forward, now I think we do.

Sign Boychuk and Leddy - then trade a mid level D prospect for a forward that fits the team.

I'd like to add depth D, but organizationally I'm more comfortable using Reinhart, Pulock, or Donovan in a pinch than I am any of our AHL forward scrubs.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Okposo and Grabovski injuries are both serious and IMO we'll be lucky to have one of the 2 back fully. I'm a little shocked by how some of you are taking KO's health and return to form for granted.

All year I didn't think we needed another NHL forward, now I think we do.

Sign Boychuk and Leddy - then trade a mid level D prospect for a forward that fits the team.

I'd like to add depth D, but organizationally I'm more comfortable using Reinhart, Pulock, or Donovan in a pinch than I am any of our AHL forward scrubs.

I'm kind of with you on that, but it's so tough because of the god-damned tight lip we get from management. Do we even get an acknowledgement that the surgery was a success? Is he on par for his expected recovery time? The lack of updates are both frustrating and unfair as a fan. I understand why it's done, but leaves us here on the message boards twiddling our thumbs wondering if we even need to think up proposals because the player is just a big fat question mark. I can only keep my fingers crossed and wait for some digging by Staple...

EDIT: Ok, I did see we got some information on Okposo. If he's back skating with the team this week I'll have no concern. I am not even really that concerned about Grabo as I think most of this is precautionary...and I don't even miss the guy that much anyway.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
I have to agree that standing pat might not be in our best interests. However, in the same breath, as mentioned, not having picks makes it very hard to maneuver. You dont want to start dealing away high valued prospects.

MBossy22

Feb 9, 2015
Long Island, NY
I think the question we need to ask ourselves is WHO out there right now, is worth us giving up a prospect for (because without picks that's what it's going to take) that will INDEED make this team better?

Lets say we have to give up a Reinhart, Donovan, Ho Sang (whoever) etc.

Who out there will make our team that much better? Phanuef? Yandle? who...

Discuss..

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
I'm kind of with you on that, but it's so tough because of the god-damned tight lip we get from management. Do we even get an acknowledgement that the surgery was a success? Is he on par for his expected recovery time? The lack of updates are both frustrating and unfair as a fan. I understand why it's done, but leaves us here on the message boards twiddling our thumbs wondering if we even need to think up proposals because the player is just a big fat question mark. I can only keep my fingers crossed and wait for some digging by Staple...

EDIT: Ok, I did see we got some information on Okposo. If he's back skating with the team this week I'll have no concern. I am not even really that concerned about Grabo as I think most of this is precautionary...and I don't even miss the guy that much anyway.

Grabo has now had his 2nd concussion within 2 months. It is far from precautionary.

Okposo may be back skating and such, and that is great. No one knows what his depth perception will be. Since no one knows the severity of the tear, I am not sure we can 100% rely on this. I mean, people with retina tears are told that they can't fly on a plane for 4-6 months. Unless the NHL is going to allow the Isles to play every game at home in the playoffs, this is concerning

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Grabo has now had his 2nd concussion within 2 months. It is far from precautionary.

Okposo may be back skating and such, and that is great. No one knows what his depth perception will be. Since no one knows the severity of the tear, I am not sure we can 100% rely on this. I mean, people with retina tears are told that they can't fly on a plane for 4-6 months. Unless the NHL is going to allow the Isles to play every game at home in the playoffs, this is concerning

He's been driving on his own too.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Phaneuf would be an ideal player to add but you need to gauge the cost of acquiring him. Mean big hitting, minute logging defense man.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Not a Polak fan. Honestly the only dman on this team I'd take him over is Strait. I'm pretty sure Pulock or Reinhart can't be any worse than polak.

Glencross is a nice player but honestly I don't see a deal there for us. We already have too many fwds and we're short on picks.

Trading away a mayfield or another good prospect for 2months of a 3rd liner just isn't worth it IMO.

This is the Mets argument. We have so much young pitching, but we need help, but we don't want to trade pitching.

It has taken Strome 4 years to get here. Dal Colle is similar player and it may be the same for him. Ho Sang too. Scott Mayfield looked decent in garbage time last year, but while I understand the need for crease clearing d.....mayfield is a lumbering slow player.

You have to give to get. I hope the people that are hoping to stand pat enjoy the next three years then waiting for prospects....and bouncing out the first round every year. No one is asking to mortgage the future, but if there are real impact players out there (ROR, Phaneuf, Kessel) and we are on the ledge about trading Scott freaking Mayfield, then this fanbase really needs their heads checked.

Last edited:

crasherino

May 9, 2013

Come playoff time, I might want to go with Polak over Hickey. Just seeing Hickey/Viz out there together makes me cringe. They're like the little brother swatting at the puck playing with the big kids. Every once in a while they'll get it, but they are simply over powered down low. If we play a team like the Caps in the playoffs, guys like Beagle, Brouwer, Fehr, Wilson, Ward, Latta, Laich, Ovi, etc. will just physically dominate them.

I think Polak is signed for 1 year after this year. I'm guessing his value is a 2nd rounder or so - something that I'm not keen on giving up. Anything less than that and I'd do it.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Depending on what Boston and what Chiarelli wants to do, McQuaid would be perfect fit for us on quite a few levels.

Would definitely take McQuaid over Polak but I'm guessing his cost will be significant. He's only making $1.8m this year so if Boston wants to sign him, I'm guessing he could be had for $3m or so. That's not outrageous for a guy who is a solid 5/6 defensemen.

And with Miller going down, I'm not sure they could move him without basically giving up on the season. And I think the Bruins put themselves in a Kings-like position. Just make the playoffs and then see what can be.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Would definitely take McQuaid over Polak but I'm guessing his cost will be significant. He's only making $1.8m this year so if Boston wants to sign him, I'm guessing he could be had for $3m or so. That's not outrageous for a guy who is a solid 5/6 defensemen.

And with Miller going down, I'm not sure they could move him without basically giving up on the season. And I think the Bruins put themselves in a Kings-like position. Just make the playoffs and then see what can be.

Like I said, it all depends on what Boston wants to do. If he is available, McQuaid is my ideal target and the cost to acquire him shouldn't be very high. Boston has a youth movement on the blue line going on and it's no guarantee that McQuaid will be back next year. He's kind of injury prone, but we only need him for depth purposes on the 3rd pairing.

Come on Chiarelli, do Garth another solid and he'll pay you back (if he's still employed by Boston) in the future. Hell, Garth will probably do him a solid if he ends up somewhere else too since Chiarelli is kind of a dead man walking.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Leddy with an affordable deal...

Enough room to swoop in and take Iggy off Lanche's hands now?

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
If what we're hearing is true re: JB's desire for 7-8 years, the trade deadline might be more interesting than we first assumed.

Last edited:

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
Leddy with an affordable deal...

Enough room to swoop in and take Iggy off Lanche's hands now?

I'm thinking Leddy got done at this point for a reason. I have to think that there's a trade in the works. I don't know who for, but I strongly believe Garth wanted some long-term cap certainty before going out and making a move.

I'm more interested in getting a face-off winner and penalty killer than anything else, but I wouldn't be disgusted with Iginla... although, he is 38.

Sneekypete

Mar 10, 2008
Branford,Ct
www.mprete.com
If Boychucks demands are true, do you trade him at the deadline ? Trying to get a younger version of him. He would land a monster offer at the deadline in my opinion.
I am not advocating Trading him in the least bit. FYI

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
If Boychucks demands are true, do you trade him at the deadline ? Trying to get a younger version of him. He would land a monster offer at the deadline in my opinion.

I wouldn't trade him. I'd keep him knowing that he may walk. He's paid for, he's been a big part of this team's success. We need to win more than we need "assets" - Keeping him is a chance worth taking.

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007

I don't want a 39 year old Johnny Boychuk haunting our blueline. He plays a physical style and seems likely to break down by 34-35 (hence his desire for mega-term, I guess).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad