Trade and Free Agent Discussion Thread - 2018/2019 Season v6

Status
Not open for further replies.

HC7

May 2, 2018
We have some serious elite talent but there is a huge drop off after Kappy.

Most teams don't have a Kappy/Nylander/Johnsson on the 3rd line anyways. Yeah you're going to lose a player or 2 you don't want to. The fact remains our depth on forward is infinitely better than our depth of RHD.

Ekblad playing 25 a night is more important than any of Kappy/Willy/Johnsson etc playing 17 min a night.

Lainehasaweirdface

May 14, 2015
and we all know How Great Edmonton has done with draft picks ,,,, HArd to believe they got the McDavid Pick right

Everyone and their mother had Pulju on the top 5 in 2016. Kid needs to be in the AHL so he can learn how to make decisions faster instead of getting the confidence beat out of him at the NHL level. Also almost everyone here is criminally undervalueing him.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
not sure trading Kadri doesn't just create another hole. The 1st and Lily are 2 pieces I'd easily move for a "Pesce" like guy. I know the Cane's want offense, but they could flip Leaf package for that I'm sure.
Does it? I've been saying for a year now that Babcock should switch Marleau to centre. Will open up space on the LW for one of the many prospects knocking on the door (Korshkov, Grundstrom, Moore, Marchment, etc.), and allows you to capitalize on Kadri's value.

Bottom line, its a luxury to have a player like Kadri on your 3rd line, especially when you have such gaping holes on the blueline. I love him when he's switched on, but he's been a non-factor all season and cannot drive a line anymore on his own; he desperately needs talent to produce (e.g. Marner or Nylander). His PP present is non-existent and he does not PK to begin with.

I honestly believe you aren't much worse off with Marleau at 3C, based on how Kadri has played this year, and in an emergency you still have Nylander and Lindholm who can shift in a pinch. Mainboard Canes fans have expressed interest in Kadri-Pesce, which would be ideal given the similar contract terms/salary.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Untouchables:
Matthews, Andersen, Rielly, Marner, Tavares

Really High Price:
Nylander, Kapanen, Dermott, Sandin

High Price:
Kadri, Johnsson, Liljegren

Everyone else really. The package I would be consider giving up would include johnsson, liljegren, 1st, brown. Any combination of above should get a great defenceman honestly.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Does it? I've been saying for a year now that Babcock should switch Marleau to centre. Will open up space on the LW for one of the many prospects knocking on the door (Korshkov, Grundstrom, Moore, Marchment, etc.), and allows you to capitalize on Kadri's value.

Bottom line, its a luxury to have a player like Kadri on your 3rd line, especially when you have such gaping holes on the blueline. I love him when he's switched on, but he's been a non-factor all season and cannot drive a line anymore on his own; he desperately needs talent to produce (e.g. Marner or Nylander).

I honestly believe you aren't much worse off with Marleau at 3C, based on how Kadri has played this year, and in an emergency you still have Nylander and Lindholm who can shift in a pinch. Mainboard Canes fans have expressed interest in Kadri-Pesce, which would be ideal given the similar contract terms/salary.
Marleau has not looked out of place at center imo.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
5ee02494fe.png

I don't even like Tanev, however his numbers are comparable to Pesce except his Quality of Competition is much harder. When you consider asking price it makes much more sense to acquire Tanev than Pesce. With that said neither make sense at all because they both get absolutely destroyed in the roles they're playing. Similar to Zaitsev on the Leafs. You're basically paying a premium to get a slight upgrade on the D-Man everyone hates the most on this team.

Lets move on...

On Anaheim, Hampus Lindholm is a stud. Everyone knows that. Josh Manson is also a solid player. He plays the same "shutdown" role as Tanev, Pesce, and Zaitsev. The difference is he's above average on his team in his role. I think it's fair to say his price would also be higher than the other 2 players listed above. Would acquiring Manson help the Leafs? Yes. The only question is if the value is worth it taking into consideration his age, contract, injury history etc. Manson doesn't have the complete game to be considered a top pairing D-Man, however he slots in as an above average shutdown guy in this league.

St. Louis is said to be a losing streak away from trading some core players. Pietrangelo, and Parayko are both top pairing D-Men comparable to Hampus Lindholm from the Ducks. Both have very good underlying numbers, and similar roles. Parayko has slightly higher Quality of Comp compared to Pietrangelo who has a slightly higher D-Zone Deployment %. I'd say it's a wash. The main difference is their age. For Parayko you're paying a lot more because of that as well as his contract. If you can get either player, you're acquiring a #2 RHD, the Leafs desperately need.

The last, and my favourite is Aaron Ekblad. After a ton of injury trouble, Ekblad has cemented himself as a bonafide #1 D in the league. Over the past couple years Ekblad has gotten slack for not developing the way people thought he would. Although I was calling for an Ekblad trade early in the year, when his value was at his absolute lowest, it may be too late now. Ekblad is playing some of, if not the hardest competition in the league, and absolutely excelling while logging massive minutes. He is also very young, and signed to a fair 7.5, that I'd like to call favourable at this point, and likely a steal within 1-2 years. Not to mention he has a point shots that the Leafs have been dying for since McCabe left over a decade ago. If you could design a #1 RHD in a lab that would compliment the Leafs to a tee, he wouldn't be as good as Aaron Ekblad.

In conclusion, I'll rank the players listed above in terms of best fit for the team. That includes age, contract, trade value etc.

---------- #1 RHD - Ideal
Ekblad - Absolute best fit for Leafs. No questions. If the asking price is reasonable you do it right away.
---------- Top Pairing D - Good Fits
Lindholm - Mainly a comparable, not on the block. Any team would kill to have him.
Pietrangelo - Better than Parayko. Age fits well, but isn't ideal. On ice play would help the Leafs immensely. Next contract though.
Parayko - Very good fit for Leafs. Asking price will be high. Would personally rather spend more for Ekblad.
Slavin - Same as Lindholm. Parayko and Slavin are close to interchangeable on this list. RHD more valuable to Leafs.
---------- #3 RHD - Decent Fit
Manson - Good fit. 27 . Above average shutdown RHD. Not a ton of offensive upside. Serves his role.
---------- #4 RHD - Wouldn't trade for unless price is below market value.
Pesce - Asking price is insane (Kappy), not a bad player. But shouldn't be playing top comp on a cup contending team. Solid 2nd pairing guy as long as it's not in a matchup role. Bad possession player, that would already hurt a bad possession team in the Leafs.
---------- Bottom Pairing RHD - No.
Tanev - High Quality of Comp, bad results. Injury prone. Better than Zaitsev, but not good either.

For what year is your data? Pesce's a bad possession player? By which metrics? If you look at GAR Off/Def... historically it basically disagrees with many of your conclusions.

Ekblad price wouldn't be reasonable... it would be far higher than any other player listed.

Lainehasaweirdface

May 14, 2015
Since the draft seems pretty weak this year plus we already have a bit of a logjam of prospects coming up, I don't mind giving up high picks this year

Nylander, 1st, Bracco level prospect for Ekblad or Parayko.

Zaitsev+this years 2nd for a replacement level d on a cheap contract.

I really wish dubas had gotten more than Carcone for Leivo, that was a bad trade.

HC7

May 2, 2018
For what year is your data? Pesce's a bad possession player? By which metrics? If you look at GAR Off/Def... historically it basically disagrees with many of your conclusions.

Ekblad price wouldn't be reasonable... it would be far higher than any other player listed.

2018-2019.

Pesce has decent possession metrics when compared to the rest of the league, but that's because Carolina is a possession monster. Compared to the rest of the team he is one of the worst in terms of possession.

horner

May 22, 2007
I like Sparks but would probably do it just to take a gamble on Pulj

For sure I would for puljarvi.
Edmonton screws every play not named McDavid.
Look how Schultz turned out when Pittsburgh got ahold of him.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Since the draft seems pretty weak this year plus we already have a bit of a logjam of prospects coming up, I don't mind giving up high picks this year

Nylander, 1st, Bracco level prospect for Ekblad or Parayko.

Zaitsev+this years 2nd for a replacement level d on a cheap contract.

I really wish dubas had gotten more than Carcone for Leivo, that was a bad trade.

Carcone is a fine return. He has shown to have NHL potential. Besides his stupid selfish play, which I am sure he regrets, he has been an excellent addition to the Marlies. Better than most late round picks would have been.

Leivo was pushed out by Babcock. Nothing Dubas could have done about it.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
You know I'd rather Pietrangelo than Parayko.

I know Parayko is the sexy option, but Leafs need a leader on their defense, Parayko isn't going to be that.

Read a review of Pietrangelo yesterday, and they used the term general on defense.

Yes, Leafs have to find some way to sign him long term, but that isn't my problem LOL.

Reactions: Julio Jones

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON

I know Parayko is the sexy option, but Leafs need a leader on their defense, Parayko isn't going to be that.

Read a review of Pietrangelo yesterday, and they used the term general on defense.

Yes, Leafs have to find some way to sign him long term, but that isn't my problem LOL.

To re-sign him, it's going to be the term that you're worried about and not the total dollar amount. He'll be 31 when he hits free agency.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
To re-sign him, it's going to be the term that you're worried about and not the total dollar amount. He'll be 31 when he hits free agency.

I think he'll be 30, but I understand the issue. Almost as bad as signing a 37 year old to a 3 year 6.3 AAV contract.

Kind of like I thought of the Giordano contract.

I think all you have to get is 4-5 years out of his contract.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

If the Leafs could get him for a pacakage similar to EK or McDonagh, ie a lot of quantity, not a lot of quality then they should jump on it

Reactions: SprDaVE

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Kadri is our 4th or 5th best forward who is burried on the 3rd line. If we can trade him and get a top 3 defenseman in pesce for him i think we do it.

Even without kadri....

Hyman. Tavares. Marner
Johnsson. Matthews. Nylander
Marleau. Lindholm .brown
Ennis. Goat. Moore

Rielly pesce
Gardiner .hainsey
Dermott zaitsev

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Kadri is our 4th or 5th best forward who is burried on the 3rd line. If we can trade him and get a top 3 defenseman in pesce for him i think we do it.

Even without kadri....

Hyman. Tavares. Marner
Johnsson. Matthews. Nylander
Marleau. Lindholm .brown
Ennis. Goat. Moore

Rielly pesce
Gardiner .hainsey
Dermott zaitsev

That's pretty bad going from Kadri to Lindholm. Creating a massive hole somewhere else doesn't do much. Kadri hasn't been hot lately but it would be a disaster with Lindholm in his place.

If you're trading Kadri for a defenseman, then you're immediately in need of a replacement.

Just look at what happened when Matthews was out for a couple weeks..

Reactions: 1specter

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
That's pretty bad going from Kadri to Lindholm. Creating a massive hole somewhere else doesn't do much. Kadri hasn't been hot lately but it would be a disaster with Lindholm in his place.

If you're trading Kadri for a defenseman, then you're immediately in need of a replacement.

Just look at what happened when Matthews was out for a couple weeks..

We have plenty of assets we can use to trade for a 3rd line center. We can also put nylander there.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Best GF to GA ratio on the team for D... Second best on the team... Best GA/60 pg all D on the team Second best GF/60 of all D on the team... better than Hamilton, Slavin and Faulk. These are all 5v5

Ultimately, this is a game about keeping the puck out of the net, and putting in in the net... he's got the best D stats on his team for that overall... If you are only relying on Possession stats, and then claiming he's terrible, because Carolina is a possession monster, and somehow he doesn't contribute positively... fair enough. I'd rather have players who have more goals for, than against on my team.

Your data is also out of date.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
We have plenty of assets we can use to trade for a 3rd line center. We can also put nylander there.

That might be why a Kadri for Pesce trade would ultimately be problematic though. Having to trade for a replacement would just essentially make it a bigger deal/two deals.

Putting Nylander there would see a lot of cap tied up in centre (once Matthews re-ups) and Nylander likely plays a more prominent role as winger for Matthews (or possibly even Tavares, though that'd be more unlikely considering it's yet to be attempted).

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think he'll be 30, but I understand the issue. Almost as bad as signing a 37 year old to a 3 year 6.3 AAV contract.

Kind of like I thought of the Giordano contract.

I think all you have to get is 4-5 years out of his contract.

Not that I dispute the Marleau contract being bad, but it's vastly different. We had the cap space when we gave Marleau that deal. We won't if we are stupid with Pietrangelo.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Can't Moore play C?
Not that I've seen. Our system is lacking
center depth beyond the big 3.

I think Goat has shown though that he can play a passable 4th line C as long as he has guys like Moore on his wings that can create around him. That big frame and defensive responsibility would play well if we had a RW thatt could also play like Moore.

Reactions: dubplatepressure

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Not that I've seen. Our system is lacking
center depth beyond the big 3.

I think Goat has shown though that he can play a passable 4th line C as long as he has guys like Moore on his wings that can create around him. That big frame and defensive responsibility would play well if we had a RW thatt could also play like Moore.

The 4th line is not as good with Brown on it. Marchment can likely also play 4C. Not sure either are 3C ready though and Lindholm isn't ready for that.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Alex Pietrangelo
& Patrick Maroon
For
Andreas Johnsson
Timothy Liljigren
Nikita Zaitsev
& 1st

Then.

Radko Gudas
For
Connor Brown
& 3rd 2020

Maroon - Matthews - Marner
Hyman - Tavares - Nylander
Marleau - - Kadri - - Kapanen
Lindholm - Gauthier - Marchement

Rielly - Pietrangelo
Gardiner - - Gudas
Dermott - Hainsey

Leafs improve defence, and add some size without targeting “face punchers”. Maroon is NOT a 1st liner, but should be able to look after Matthews and Marner, and the two of them together are more than capable of carrying him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad