Trade and Free Agent Discussion Thread - 2018/2019 Season v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Babcock likes his worker bees in the top 6. These guys are that with skill. Each would likely be our top LW.

You are right that we don’t really need to upgrade the forward, but if the price is right....

Simmonds isn't much of a forechecker/worker.

I like Ferland but again, it's about the cost versus needs thing for a pending UFA. It's like acquiring a 4th line center... sure you can find a slight upgrade but is it worth spending picks for that when we have capable players? Nope.

If there's a way to acquire Ferland with let's say Hamilton for example and value makes sense going the other way, then sure maybe it's a very good worth move, same for Simmonds with maybe Gudas (I'm not high on him like some but he'd be an upgrade).

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
all valid points.

Conversely, I'd say a downside to acquiring Ferland in comparison to Skinner would be less time with his new team, in the event both end up being rentals. Don't remember if there was salary retention involved in the Skinner trade.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
31 Thoughts: Pettersson, McDavid could test year-end awards thinking - Sportsnet.ca

7. Here’s why I believe Dougie Hamilton could be dealt. It is well-known the Hurricanes are right-shot heavy. That’s one. Since Dec. 11, he has more games where he’s played under 16 minutes (four) as those where he’s played more than 20 (three). He assisted on Jaccob Slavin’s winner Tuesday night against the Islanders. Prior to that, he scored in three straight games. He’s got value. Contenders need defencemen who can score; Carolina needs scoring forwards. There are matches out there.

9. Drew Doughty got the All-Star nod, but Jake Muzzin has been Los Angeles’s best defenceman. The price is high, but someone is going to seriously consider it.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Reactions: SprDaVE

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I really don't want to part with a scoring forward at the moment. Was hoping we could've had Hamilton for a futures package but that looks unlikely. I would have no problem doing something around Johnsson but I'm not sure I'd want to give up Kapanen which is what I imagine they'd like back.

That's why we're not good trading partners I don't think.

Maybe in the off-season depending on the cap space and all that stuff Hamilton could make sense but in season, I just don't see how we can make it work if they want a scoring forward.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I really don't want to part with a scoring forward at the moment. Was hoping we could've had Hamilton for a futures package but that looks unlikely. I would have no problem doing something around Johnsson but I'm not sure I'd want to give up Kapanen which is what I imagine they'd like back.

I doubt Kapanen or Johnsson moves the radar for them. Besides, we shouldn't be trading away Johnsson... after Marleau is gone next year, Johnsson is by far our best LW.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Simmonds will give us that grit we have been looking for and he can score, plus a big presence in front of the net and his contract is up after this season, so he will just be a rental, unless we can find enough cap to re-sign him.

Reactions: ToneDog

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I'm actually kind of hoping that we pick up a decent LW'er at the deadline. Our centres and RW's are fantastic, but the LW is almost non-existent. RHD is #1 priority, but adding a LW rental like Simmonds or Ferland would give our forwards a nice little bump. 2nd round pick is the max I would do for it, but if the right player is there at the right price, then it's a good move. Let the rental walk because we'll need the cap for Kappy. I doubt we can get them at that price though.

I doubt Kapanen or Johnsson moves the radar for them. Besides, we shouldn't be trading away Johnsson... after Marleau is gone next year, Johnsson is by far our best LW.

Johnsson is already our best LW by far.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Simmonds would be too expensive trade-wise, we definitely couldn't afford to re-sign him, and he's been declining for a few years now.

I'm not a big fan of rental prices. If I were to make a move, I'd look at a guy like Nick Jensen. Trade value is way less than Simmonds, isn't a household name, but is a RHD who would definitely be an upgrade over both Hainsey and Zaitsev in our top 4. We could likely afford to re-sign him too, as he'd be ~3-4M cheaper than Gardiner's next contract.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Simmonds would be too expensive trade-wise, we definitely couldn't afford to re-sign him, and he's been declining for a few years now.

I'm not a big fan of rental prices. If I were to make a move, I'd look at a guy like Nick Jensen. Trade value is way less than Simmonds, isn't a household name, but is a RHD who would definitely be an upgrade over both Hainsey and Zaitsev in our top 4. We could likely afford to re-sign him too, as he'd be ~3-4M cheaper than Gardiner's next contract.
This doesn’t seem in line with the comments Dubas made about seeking long term/hockey deal help. Not a 3 month hope for the best.

Reactions: Budsfan

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Brought up ferland for brown and a 3rd on the main boards. both players have similar career points, brown is 2 years younger, ferland is ufa. helps save us some cap space for next year if we dont resign ferland, and we can bring up a marlie to replace brown seeing as he's been falling outta flavour here.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Leafs should not be using assets on a guy like Simmonds. Save it for a dman.
I couldn't agree more! According to Flyers fans, Simmonds is not the player he once was. I honestly take their word on that.

Let's not waste assets on a diminished product.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Brown is expendable imo, package him with a pick or prospect for a Ferland/Anderson/Ritchie type player.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'm actually kind of hoping that we pick up a decent LW'er at the deadline. Our centres and RW's are fantastic, but the LW is almost non-existent. RHD is #1 priority, but adding a LW rental like Simmonds or Ferland would give our forwards a nice little bump. 2nd round pick is the max I would do for it, but if the right player is there at the right price, then it's a good move. Let the rental walk because we'll need the cap for Kappy. I doubt we can get them at that price though.

Johnsson is already our best LW by far.

I've been all over a deal with Carolina for half a year now. Pesce + LW Koukkanen (PPG AHL) and RW Gautheir, for Nylander + 1st.

It pretty much addresses every one of our needs... RHD Check... PPG AHL, future LW talent.. Check.... Big, Physical RW.. Check. All cost controlled for years.

---------------

If we could get a LW now, sure... I'm not sure how... Note, Calgary fans pointed out Ferland often starts out the year hot, and then disappears... he's had 5 points in the last 14 games... what is that worth exactly?

Would Chicago part with Perlini? I doubt it, and he needs a new contract, yet...

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
You want to play heavy? Simmonds is the right guy for that.

More than our Defense, I'm worried teams like Boston will manhandle us along the boards in the playoffs.

Simmonds will help there.

Last thought, every game we played with Boston, we've been dominated along the boards.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I've been all over a deal with Carolina for half a year now. Pesce + LW Koukkanen (PPG AHL) and RW Gautheir, for Nylander + 1st.

It pretty much addresses every one of our needs... RHD Check... PPG AHL, future LW talent.. Check.... Big, Physical RW.. Check. All cost controlled for years.

---------------

If we could get a LW now, sure... I'm not sure how... Note, Calgary fans pointed out Ferland often starts out the year hot, and then disappears... he's had 5 points in the last 14 games... what is that worth exactly?

Would Chicago part with Perlini? I doubt it, and he needs a new contract, yet...
I'm onboard with this idea 100%

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

More than our Defense, I'm worried teams like Boston will manhandle us along the boards in the playoffs.

Last thought, every game we played with Boston, we've been dominated along the boards.

No matter what we do... we either address the RHD situation first, or don't throw temporary bandaids around like this. Simmonds is a RW.... Does he replace Nylander, Marner or Kapanen in the lineup? Simmonds isn't all that useful as a LW... So, unless one of those three are moved for RHD, obtaining a temp RW solution, for useful future assets... doesn't make much sense to me.

We would want a LW... though then then then the question becomes... which line do they play on... Does the beloved Hyman get bumped to bottom line? Marleau? Johnsson who is something like 15 points in his last 17?

Personally... a RHD has to be obtained first.... with either Kap or Nylander going the other way... then you can worry about a bigger RW, whether it is a short-term solution like Simmonds, or Anderson, or Gauthier from Carolina. At this point, it's kind of a dominoes effect.... a Big guy on the fourth line... it's not really going to impact things much, and the costs would be too high.

Personally, I think we need to obtain prospect size, or draft it, for long-term solutions... We shouldn't be overpaying for size over skill, for short-term fixes.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
No matter what we do... we either address the RHD situation first, or don't throw temporary bandaids around like this. Simmonds is a RW.... Does he replace Nylander, Marner or Kapanen in the lineup? Simmonds isn't all that useful as a LW... So, unless one of those three are moved for RHD, obtaining a temp RW solution, for useful future assets... doesn't make much sense to me.

We would want a LW... though then then then the question becomes... which line do they play on... Does the beloved Hyman get bumped to bottom line? Marleau? Johnsson who is something like 15 points in his last 17?

Personally... a RHD has to be obtained first.... with either Kap or Nylander going the other way... then you can worry about a bigger RW, whether it is a short-term solution like Simmonds, or Anderson, or Gauthier from Carolina. At this point, it's kind of a dominoes effect.... a Big guy on the fourth line... it's not really going to impact things much, and the costs would be too high.

Personally, I think we need to obtain prospect size, or draft it, for long-term solutions... We shouldn't be overpaying for size over skill, for short-term fixes.

Kapanen can easily play LW, he has proven as much.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

It's funny to me that the Lightning don't play a very "tough" game but they completely dismantled the Bruins in 5 games last playoffs and are completely dominating the NHL this season. We took Boston to a 7 game series as well and it probably could have gone our way with a little more luck or better overall play. I think our complete lack of defensive quality was the downfall to that series by far. To say we lost that series because of physicality or board play is not very accurate in my eyes. Also, didn't we beat Boston quite a few times last season? I'm pretty sure we took the season series, but maybe I'm remembering wrong. I do remember a couple buttkicking from us that season though. This season has been different there.

I don't think playing heavy means having to get "tough" players either, it's about having more urgency, playing with energy, getting involved in the cycle and fore checking/competing harder. You don't need to be a physically dominating team to play heavy, at least in my opinion, and plenty of teams showed that.

Last edited:
Reactions: WestCoastLeafs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad