Trade and Free Agency Thread - 2022 - Off-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I imagine Tampa moves a guy like Killorn so they can resign Palat.

I figure that is the most likely scenario

We need to stop tip toeing around it and go all in on our number 1 asset which is skill and speed.
just go all in on what you're good at, worked for colorado. they skated circles around everyone.

Colorado has some pretty nasty guys, Landeskog, Kadri and added Manson.

You definitely need a mix but it has to be functional toughness or gritty guys if you add them.

They don't need to be big, but they have to play big. Blackwell was a solid addition, same with Motte on NYR.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
I see our team graduating a lot of youth this year and trading kerfoot, Holl, and Mrazek.

Bunting Matthews Marner
Nichushkin Tavares Nylander
Robertson Kampf Engvall
Zar Douglas Holmberg

Reilly Liljegren
Sandin Brodie
Muzzin Gio

De Smith
Blackwood

Rfa
Sandin 1.2 x 2
Engvall 1.5 x 1

Ufa
Nichuskin 5.5 x 6
Zar 1.3 x 2
De Smith 2.75 x 2

Trades
Kerfoot for Ottawa 2nd
Holl + Campbells rights + Hirvonen for Blackwood
Mrazek + 2024 2nd + 2022 3rd to Chicago for future considerations.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Here's a bold prediction / crazy idea / Conspiracy...

Kadri was traded when and how he did as a way for good guy dubas to get kadri the cup (and to make it seem like he was being punished) handshake deal to bring him back as he matures and brings the cup to Toronto :-P

Obviously not true at all but would be a crazy fun mind f*** if he came back lol

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Here's a bold prediction / crazy idea / Conspiracy...

Kadri was traded when and how he did as a way for good guy dubas to get kadri the cup (and to make it seem like he was being punished) handshake deal to bring him back as he matures and brings the cup to Toronto :-P

Obviously not true at all but would be a crazy fun mind f*** if he came back lol

He literally said "for all those that said I was a liability in the playoffs, kiss my ass"

Pretty sure Dubas falls under "for those"

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
We cannot go into next season with guys like Robertson, Steeves, Anderson comprising our bottom 6. Maybe Robertson gets consistent ice time but we need experienced depth. Not Simmonds or Clifford, guys who can contribute and have real NHL experience. Like your Coglianos, Helms.

I'd like to land someone like Aston-Reese, Acciari, or Vatrano.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
He literally said "for all those that said I was a liability in the playoffs, kiss my ass"

Pretty sure Dubas falls under "for those"
I feel like the haters are reading too much into it to suit their agenda. Maybe it's kadri keeping up with the acting gig lol either way we can think or assume we know exactly what he meant but we really don't.

But that's why it would make for a crazy mind f*** if he came back and would be funny. I'm just throwing science fiction out there. Something other than overlly bias thoughts leaning both ways (love and hate) crowd. Lol
Off season fun is all.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Dubas has been linked to Rakell at previous trade deadlines. I wonder if his main UFA targets will be Rakell and Cousins. And then if we can somehow swing a deal around Campbell’s rights for Wood’s rights, that would be pretty fantastic.
I don’t have a good read on Rakells market but I like that player.

Wood is only a good idea at less than his qo I think.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Trade Kerfoot, Petr and Holl.
Hunt for a true No.1 goalie.
Any forwards coming in needs to have speed and the mentality of crashing the net.
Hoping they do the first three soon so we go into the draft/free agency knowing what extra picks/cap space we have.

Really hope they take a look at Fleury again.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Hoping they do the first three soon so we go into the draft/free agency knowing what extra picks/cap space we have.

Really hope they take a look at Fleury again.
I don’t think MAF wants to come here though.

Holl can be done anytime as he is a RHD and on a 2mil contract.
Hoping some teams would want to sort out their goalie situation before the draft and trade for Petr.
Kerfoot will be interesting due to his bonus on July 1.

Reactions: TMLAM34

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I don’t have a good read on Rakells market but I like that player.

Wood is only a good idea at less than his qo I think.
Yeah I don’t think any contender is giving Wood his QO. I was thinking you can re-sign him on a 1 or 2 year deal worth around 2 million per.

Reactions: aingefan

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Hoping some teams would want to sort out their goalie situation before the draft and trade for Petr.

Kerfoot probably worth around a 2nd, I look at a team like Dallas, maybe a need for him in their top 9 there and they have all their picks except their 7th.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Kerfoot probably worth around a 2nd, I look at a team like Dallas, maybe a need for him in their top 9 there and they have all their picks except their 7th.
The organization loves Kerfoot. I find it hard to see this management group trading Kerfoot for just a 2nd. At that point why not keep Kerfoot who can play up and down in the lineup and on both special teams.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
We cannot go into next season with guys like Robertson, Steeves, Anderson comprising our bottom 6. Maybe Robertson gets consistent ice time but we need experienced depth. Not Simmonds or Clifford, guys who can contribute and have real NHL experience. Like your Coglianos, Helms.

I'd like to land someone like Aston-Reese, Acciari, or Vatrano.

Why not? Cheap, effective and probably due for promotions, especially Anderson in a depth role. He won't clear waivers again I don't think. Steeves impressed in his short stint and Robertson has a ton of potential.

Signing veterans is fine but most of them are Clifford and Simmonds quality if you go near league minimum unless you get really lucky.

ZAR, Acciari and Vatrano are good but won't come dirt cheap either. You can't just sign a bunch of bloated bottom players. You need cheap young players as well. Dubas has been good at finding good bottom line players for the money though, so I'm sure there will be some names brought in to compete.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The organization loves Kerfoot. I find it hard to see this management group trading Kerfoot for just a 2nd. At that point why not keep Kerfoot who can play up and down in the lineup and on both special teams.

He didn't play a minute of PP this year.

Use $$ elsewhere.

You can love the team and all your players as much as you want but when they don't win anything, it doesn't matter.

Reactions: Gabriel426

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I think the Leafs could probably replace Kerfoot with a cheaper alternative that is probably less versatile but that gives a little more toughness/size. I'd be fine with trading him for a 2nd round pick and then replacing him another way.

With that said, I don't know if other teams value him as much. So if he isn't getting much attention, I don't know why you trade him for a bad return. It needs to be good.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Depends on where that 2nd is. I think Kerfoot is at a value of an early 2nd rounder or even a late 1st rounder. When you look at the picks that teams usually send for someone like Kerfoot at the TDL.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
He's perfectly fine for his cap hit. The reason I personally wan't him gone is I don't think he's the type of middle class player you win with. Look at Colorado/Tampa and all of their 3-5M forwards: Cirelli, Palat, Killorn (the points weren't there this year but they were the last 2 seasons), Nichushkin, Buraovsky, Kadri. They are all just better at executing on the ice whether that be offensively or defensively.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I see our team graduating a lot of youth this year and trading kerfoot, Holl, and Mrazek.

Bunting Matthews Marner
Nichushkin Tavares Nylander
Robertson Kampf Engvall
Zar Douglas Holmberg

Reilly Liljegren
Sandin Brodie
Muzzin Gio

De Smith
Blackwood

Rfa
Sandin 1.2 x 2
Engvall 1.5 x 1

Ufa
Nichuskin 5.5 x 6
Zar 1.3 x 2
De Smith 2.75 x 2

Trades
Kerfoot for Ottawa 2nd
Holl + Campbells rights + Hirvonen for Blackwood
Mrazek + 2024 2nd + 2022 3rd to Chicago for future considerations.
Sandin with TJ will be eaten alive by the opposing forwards with size and speed.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

It was reported that the Leafs/Hawks were discussing a Fleury trade. If he had no desire at all to come here it wouldn't have gotten that far.

The only team he know he said he wouldn't go to was Edmonton.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
He's perfectly fine for his cap hit. The reason I personally wan't him gone is I don't think he's the type of middle class player you win with. Look at Colorado/Tampa and all of their 3-5M forwards: Cirelli, Palat, Killorn (the points weren't there this year but they were the last 2 seasons), Nichushkin, Buraovsky, Kadri. They are all just better at executing on the ice whether that be offensively or defensively.
Kerfoot problem is that he really lacks in ice IQ. He got good average tools comparing to mid 6 forwards around the league but there is nothing special about him.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Colorado demonstrated that it's possible to slay the dragon without a top tier goaltender.

We need to upgrade in goal, but we don't necessarily need another Vasilevsky either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad