Trade and Free Agency Thread - 2022 - Off-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Seeing the Avs win...happy for Kadri, wish we kept him.

On the other hand it shows a couple of different things too....Avs were bold and did make trades a while back, they botched the ROR one entirely but did well in the Duchene trade.

Maybe Kadri is the ROR one for Dubas....but he can't be gun shy, if there is a deal out there that makes us a better team and Nylander is involved in it, you can't hesitate.
the Avs also roller-coastered as a team.
in 09 had pick #3 Strome, 2 years later pick #2 Landy ...this should have been their rebuild
they had a good season, then they bottomed out again, and got MacKinnon 1st overall, and then had an uptick again, for one season, sucked 3 seasons in a row, getting Rantanen, Jost, and finally Makar and you think, now they are on track, but, nope, one decent season followed by #4pick overall Bowen.
So, all the Av's proved is that you need to suck in the right years and get lucky.
this team started their rebuild in 09
...ours started in 14 i guess with Nylander, and we went down for 2 seasons only (Marner & Matthews) and climbed to the top faster than expected, and likely faster than we should have.
2017 was the season post Matthews, we should have still been picking top 5 or 10 ...but, we exceeded expectations.
if we use the Avs timeline, we still have 5 years to be on par with them, and have done it with far fewer top 10 picks.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
in 09 had pick #3 Strome, 2 years later pick #2 Landy ...this should have been their rebuild
they had a good season, then they bottomed out again, and got MacKinnon 1st overall, and then had an uptick again, for one season, sucked 3 seasons in a row, getting Rantanen, Jost, and finally Makar and you think, now they are on track, but, nope, one decent season followed by #4pick overall Bowen.
So, all the Av's proved is that you need to suck in the right years and get lucky.
...ours started in 14 i guess with Nylander, and we went down for 2 seasons only (Marner & Matthews) and climbed to the top faster than expected, and likely faster than we should have.
2017 was the season post Matthews, we should have still been picking top 5 or 10 ...but, we exceeded expectations.
if we use the Avs timeline, we still have 5 years to be on par with them, and have done it with far fewer top 10 picks.

I'm surprised it took 6 games.
Lightning had a much tougher road and have played more hockey than any team over the past 3 years.
Oilers were a cakewalk, 2 elite forwards and no goaltender wasn't exactly a challenge.

I don't think we'll see much for the Leafs, other than restructuring their bottom 6.

No need to change up the defense unless someone offers to retain on Theodore or something ridiculous like that.

Might be Dubas' toughest off-season, where not much can be done.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Is Pittsburgh really the only other potential landing spot for Fleury? He's already said he's not going to Edmonton.

Would he stay in Minny?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I'm surprised it took 6 games.
Lightning had a much tougher road and have played more hockey than any team over the past 3 years.
Oilers were a cakewalk, 2 elite forwards and no goaltender wasn't exactly a challenge.

I don't think we'll see much for the Leafs, other than restructuring their bottom 6.

No need to change up the defense unless someone offers to retain on Theodore or something ridiculous like that.

Might be Dubas' toughest off-season, where not much can be done.

He's gotta fix the goaltending. Here's hoping he does not rush into another bad Mrazek signing on July 13th.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

They also were okay with letting a guy like Grubbauer go and paid to get Kuemper...he's kind of a walking bandaid with his injury history but Avs seem fearless.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Needs

Goalie…..not a dice roll, an actual goalie (also get out of Mrazek’s contract)

Tough/Strong LW to attempt to address the soft top 6.

Tough bottom pair RHD to mentor Sandin
Reilly/Brodie. Gio/Liljegrin being the other pairs

Build a defensive 3rd line, add to Kampf/Engvall

4th line of hungry Marlies and bangers

Hopefully we address a few in free agency, but our trade chips are no joke:
Muzzin, Kerfoot, Robertson, Holl, 1st and 2nd round picks, prospects.

And……go!

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Yep, I think this might be a uneventful off-season, except for that one item.

I am curious as to how he makes it happen though.

Holding onto picks, or going all in for one last kick at the can in his run?

Not sure an off-season is uneventful when you reportedly want to change both your goaltenders and your goaltending coaching. Last off-season was pretty uneventful. This one might be a little more exciting.

It might not be as explosive as some think it will be like trading Nylander or Muzzin or whatever, but it should be a decent amount of roster turnover.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Not sure an off-season is uneventful when you reportedly want to change both your goaltenders and your goaltending coaching. Last off-season was pretty uneventful. This one might be a little more exciting.

It might not be as explosive as some think it will be like trading Nylander or Muzzin or whatever, but it should be a decent amount of roster turnover.

Oh, I think the fans would like to make it eventful, but I don't think Dubas does.

And goaltenders, I think we're looking at one change, perhaps for a starter, and the back-up is the back-up. I don't think changing your back-up is eventful, but heck Leafs seem to do that every year.

And a couple acquisitions for the bottom 6, but perhaps training camp is where we'll see changes as prospects upset some vets?

Reactions: SprDaVE

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Over under trades before feee agency (not including draft picks trade i.e moving up or down in the draft. The number is 1.5

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Oh, I think the fans would like to make it eventful, but I don't think Dubas does.

And goaltenders, I think we're looking at one change, perhaps for a starter, and the back-up is the back-up. I don't think changing your back-up is eventful, but heck Leafs seem to do that every year.

And a couple acquisitions for the bottom 6, but perhaps training camp is where we'll see changes as prospects upset some vets?

You don't actually believe they are keeping Mrazek do you? that's not an option

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I don’t think they will but it also wouldn’t surprise me if Dubas gives him the benefit of the doubt given his career totals being a lot better than last years numbers. If he can bounce back and provide 910 save percentage that wouldn’t be bad.

For me his injury history these past two years is what really worries me. How reliable can he really be even if he does bounce back to stay healthy?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I don't think that is major though.

Perhaps what I mean is unexpected changes.

We know they need a keeper, so that's a given, and no one should be like WOW I didn't see that coming.

Like signing a couple UFA's isn't major, just regular every year transactions.

Moving out Kerfoot and bringing in Niederreiter would be major change.

Reactions: ToneDog

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don't think that is major though.

Perhaps what I mean is unexpected changes.

We know they need a keeper, so that's a given, and no one should be like WOW I didn't see that coming.

Like signing a couple UFA's isn't major, just regular every year transactions.

Moving out Kerfoot and bringing in Niederreiter would be major change.

Neiderreither playoff production is pretty bad.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Dubas has been linked to Rakell at previous trade deadlines. I wonder if his main UFA targets will be Rakell and Cousins. And then if we can somehow swing a deal around Campbell’s rights for Wood’s rights, that would be pretty fantastic.

Reactions: aingefan

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Big game player. I'd be really open to that! Completes our 2nd line as well.

Bunting - Matthews - Marner
Palat - Tavares - Nylander
For me personally, in the name of changing things up, 88 wouldn't be on my roster.

We've tinkered around the edges, we've made some bigger adds but the core has stayed the same.

It's not a case of Washington, St.Louis or whoever else...those teams won rounds....we haven't won 1. 88 is free game to be traded as long as the return was great / reasonable for a player of his caliber.

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
We need to stop tip toeing around it and go all in on our number 1 asset which is skill and speed.
just go all in on what you're good at, worked for colorado. they skated circles around everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad