Speculation: Trade and Free Agency Talk XLVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
And yet has a career high of 30pts that pro-rates to 43pts in an 82gm season.

I don't know about you, but I expect top 6 centers to get well into the 50's myself.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... he doesn't seem to have great instincts at all offensively. He thinks things out far too deliberately, and thus offense just doesn't come naturally to him.

He has a ok shot and can get it off from time to time, but he's not much of a play maker. He doesn't read offense all that well.

He gets offense mostly by just grinding things out more than anything. That's why the GREEF line is so good with him on it... they all go at it the same way, and with their size and strength - it just works.

For comparison's sake... Koivu at the same age as Ek had 54 points. Koivu also wasn't the most "skilled" guy, but he had much better instincts.
C'mon man, he played in 82 games to get those 54 points!

Mikko scored more goals than 20-21 JEE only 3 times. 20, 20, and 22 goals. In 82, 79, and 80 gp. JEE scored his 19 in 56 gp.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
He was the best player in the playoffs and it wasn't close. I have said this several times. BG is building a team that is hard to play against. I know many of you love ppg arguments, that doesn't matter because the regular season and playoffs are two different animals.
We're talking about completely changing his role from what he did in the playoffs though. He wasn't asked to be a top 6 C, he was asked to play shutdown defense and take whatever they could get at the other end.

In that aspect, he plays great. Nobody will deny that. If he's put on a line that has a completely different objective though, we have NO IDEA how it will even pan out yet...

C'mon man, he played in 82 games to get those 54 points!
Of course he did... and I already pointed out that Ek's season pro-rates to 43pts in 82 games...

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Of course he did... and I already pointed out that Ek's season pro-rates to 43pts in 82 games...

Koivu was also playing in the top six with our best wingers and getting PP time. Eriksson Ek paced for 44 this season. If he was playing with Fiala or Kaprizov for the entire season, getting PP time the whole way, does anyone think he couldn't have picked up 10 more points?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Koivu was also playing in the top six with our best wingers and getting PP time. Eriksson Ek paced for 44 this season. If he was playing with Fiala or Kaprizov for the entire season, getting PP time the whole way, does anyone think he couldn't have picked up 10 more points?
He was playing the 2nd line with Rolston, not the top line with Gaborik. The point is, Koivu proved that he was a top 6 center by actual production by the same age. Something we don't know if Ek can do yet... as he hasn't even come close to playing such a role.

It will be vastly different than what he's been asked to do thus far. Some players can't make that next step. I don't see offensive instincts that inspire confidence from my perspective is all.

I see him as an offensive 3rd wheel on any line that has any chance of success in the top 6 with him as the center.

Legegendsofthenorth

Jun 6, 2018
We're talking about completely changing his role from what he did in the playoffs though. He wasn't asked to be a top 6 C, he was asked to play shutdown defense and take whatever they could get at the other end.

In that aspect, he plays great. Nobody will deny that. If he's put on a line that has a completely different objective though, we have NO IDEA how it will even pan out yet...

I could give 2 craps what his regular season stats are, I know it's not a popular opinion. Is he someone who at a high level could help the Wild win a Cup. The answer is yes. You folks can have your regular season projections vs AAV arguments over 500 to 750k AAV cap structure

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I could give 2 craps what his regular season stats are, I know it's not a popular opinion. Is he someone who at a high level could help the Wild win a Cup. The answer is yes. You folks can have your regular season projections vs AAV arguments over 500 to 750k AAV cap structure
My argument has more to do with his role than anything else. He's GREAT at his current role. He's a complete unknown in the potential top 6 center role.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
He was 54th among Centers in the league for points, and 14th in goals for C's last year. Those are top 6C numbers. Once you throw in his defense and other attributes, he is a top 6 C for sure.

I just want him to get better at FO's, so he can play some PP, and out there at the end of close games. I will be happy if he gets 15-20 g, 20-25 a, unless he starts getting regular PP TOI. Then i need to see another 8-10 points, bringing him up to 50-55...pretty close to Koivu territory.
he was also 20th among centers in icetime and 156th in assists

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He was playing the 2nd line with Rolston, not the top line with Gaborik. The point is, Koivu proved that he was a top 6 center by actual production by the same age. Something we don't know if Ek can do yet... as he hasn't even come close to playing such a role.

It will be vastly different than what he's been asked to do thus far. Some players can't make that next step. I don't see offensive instincts that inspire confidence from my perspective is all.

I see him as an offensive 3rd wheel on any line that has any chance of success in the top 6 with him as the center.

The point is Koivu was placed in a much better position to be able to produce the points.

I understand that this is a steep contract if he fails in that role and can't ever score more than 40, but given what he's already done with third line grinders and no PP time, there should be more optimism that he CAN succeed. I realize he's not a flashy player, but that doesn't mean he's not a damn good player.

The other thing you could easily argue is that, if we did put him with Fiala or Kaprizov with PP time last season, and he went out and scored at a 50-60 point pace, we might be talking about an 8 year, 6M+ contract. Worst case scenario, we know we have one of the top shutdown centers in the league locked up from age 24-32 at 5M.

Reactions: grimmel95

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
He was the best player in the playoffs and it wasn't close. I have said this several times. BG is building a team that is hard to play against. I know many of you love ppg arguments, that doesn't matter because the regular season and playoffs are two different animals.
who were their softest 2 defenseman in the playoffs?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
he was also 20th among centers in icetime and 156th in assists

Maybe if Greenway could shoot his way out of a wet paper bag he might've had more assists. And Foligno, for his sky high shooting percentage, still only scored 11 goals. Maybe instead of assuming the problem is Ek, we should consider he's playing with guys who average 10 goals per 82 games in their careers.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The point is Koivu was placed in a much better position to be able to produce the points.

I understand that this is a steep contract if he fails in that role and can't ever score more than 40, but given what he's already done with third line grinders and no PP time, there should be more optimism that he CAN succeed. I realize he's not a flashy player, but that doesn't mean he's not a damn good player.

The other thing you could easily argue is that, if we did put him with Fiala or Kaprizov with PP time last season, and he went out and scored at a 50-60 point pace, we might be talking about an 8 year, 6M+ contract. Worst case scenario, we know we have one of the top shutdown centers in the league locked up from age 24-32 at 5M.
Yeah, but then would he even be close in Selke? He placed 4th in Selke as much because he was on the GREEF line which is SO suited to his strengths. Putting him in a completely different role, you are no longer playing to his strengths as much and the biggest value he brings thus far could actually be lost.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yeah, but then would he even be close in Selke? He placed 4th in Selke as much because he was on the GREEF line which is SO suited to his strengths. Putting him in a completely different role, you are no longer playing to his strengths as much and the biggest value he brings thus far could actually be lost.

Who cares if he actually wins a Selke or not? The defensive play he brings is still there helping us win games.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Who cares if he actually wins a Selke or not? The defensive play he brings is still there helping us win games.
The defensive play was supported by strong defensive wingers is my point. He's a shutdown guy played in a shutdown role. You're talking about changing that role. He won't be a shutdown guy anymore if he's on a line with Fiala and Boldy... I don't see a line with Fiala on it, going out to shutdown the other team's line.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The defensive play was supported by strong defensive wingers is my point. He's a shutdown guy played in a shutdown role. You're talking about changing that role. He won't be a shutdown guy anymore if he's on a line with Fiala and Boldy... I don't see a line with Fiala on it, going out to shutdown the other team's line.

Well Fiala played the PK this year, which I wouldn't have seen prior.

I don't think Boston is upset that Bergeron isn't on a purely defensive line, I don't think St. Louis is upset that O'Reilly isn't on a purely defensive line. It's just us, for some reason, that are upset by the possibility of Ek not being on a purely defensive line.

Legegendsofthenorth

Jun 6, 2018
You think Brodin and/or Spurgeon are "hard to play against"?

Yes very much so. Brodin is one of the best skaters in the NHL, in case you didn't know is very important for defenseman. Spurgeon was just named Captain of an NHL team because he was horrible...hahaha. But really his body positioning and hand eye coordination is NHL elite

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If you are one of the people on this board think Eriksson Ek shouldn't get an increased role in the offense, but wanted to sign Philip Danault to a contract to play with Kaprizov, you need to close the internet and go have a conversation with yourself before you have a conversation with other people.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Yes very much so. Brodin is one of the best skaters in the NHL, in case you didn't know is very important for defenseman. Spurgeon was just named Captain of an NHL team because he was horrible...hahaha. But really his body positioning and hand eye coordination is NHL elite
Sorry for killing your "playoffs are a different animal" argument.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Well Fiala played the PK this year, which I wouldn't have seen prior.

I don't think Boston is upset that Bergeron isn't on a purely defensive line, I don't think St. Louis is upset that O'Reilly isn't on a purely defensive line. It's just us, for some reason, that are upset by the possibility of Ek not being on a purely defensive line.
It's just us that are unaware if the center in question can excel in such a role. Go figure. He hasn't been asked to do it, his strength don't make it exactly obvious if he CAN do it... so we simply don't know. That's my point.
If you are one of the people on this board think Eriksson Ek shouldn't get an increased role in the offense, but wanted to sign Philip Danault to a contract to play with Kaprizov, you need to close the internet and go have a conversation with yourself before you have a conversation with other people.
Pretty sure I wasn't one of those people either.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It's just us that are unaware if the center in question can excel in such a role. Go figure. He hasn't been asked to do it, his strength don't make it exactly obvious if he CAN do it... so we simply don't know. That's my point.

I don't care if you think he can do it or not. The part that doesn't make sense is the people who think it shouldn't be given a chance because they don't think he can do it.

Everybody complaining about the lack of top six centers hurting our offense, here we have a chance to remedy that for free, and God forbid we try it because what about defense.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I don't care if you think he can do it or not. The part that doesn't make sense is the people who think it shouldn't be given a chance because they don't think he can do it.

Everybody complaining about the lack of top six centers hurting our offense, here we have a chance to remedy that for free, and God forbid we try it because what about defense.
Then you and I have no beef, because my entire point is that we don't know if he can...

Edit: Which is also why my position has been that I certainly don't love the deal he got, but I don't necessarily hate it either. It's a deal in which we gave out with a lot of unknowns that doesn't go easy on either money or term. There was absolutely no discount achieved for the term here and thus it just seems so odd to have him locked up for 8yrs. Ek felt more like a 5yr term max type player to me.

Last edited:

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Pretty sure I wasn't one of those people either.

I wasnt talking to you specifically in that post, I was talking hypothetically to someone who might use stats like "156th in assists" to try to explain why Ek sucks, but completely disregards the fact that Ek's linemates average 10 goals per 82 games because they aren't good at scoring goals. And others who might be like him, hypothetically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad