Speculation: Trade and Free Agency Talk XLVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Yes, I know. I don't why that's a wrench when they knew what was going on, unless something more was going on in the background. And what was the motivation to leak this?
The wrench is management being annoyed by these negotiation tactics. The motivation is Kap trying to get more money and perhaps the term he wants by threatening to go to the KHL.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I haven't been able to track it down online, but Russo mentioned that Weekes was represented by Theophanous when he was a player. So it's not hard to see what might have inspired that tweet.

Edit: Nevermind, here we go.

Seems weird that his agent would be talking to Weekes about another client, but then again Weekes is a reporter now...so

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Seems weird that his agent would be talking to Weekes about another client, but then again Weekes is a reporter now...so
That's not being a reporter, that's being a shill for an agent, throwing out bogus implications to make a empty threat, so the negotiating party can claim they made no such threat themselves... all to get the term/ money they want.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
So, basically, our top 6 center upgrade this off-season is just breaking up one of the best lines in the league to try and milk a few more points out of Ek.
Guerin said the plan is for Eriksson Ek to bite off more power-play time than his average of 71 seconds per game. And, perhaps, we could even see him elevated in the lineup so he could play between more skilled, top-six wingers.
[\QUOTE]
Wild GM ramping up talks with Kirill Kaprizov, Kevin Fiala now that Joel Eriksson Ek is committed

Reactions: WildisLaw

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
What exactly should he have done? He just locked in the only top 6 center we have for 8 years and the cap hit is not terrible. That's a win in my book.
For far too long for too much for the caliber player he is. Ek was the last player I'd have thought earned a max term deal.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
For far too long for too much for the caliber player he is. Ek was the last player I'd have thought earned a max term deal.
I guess I'm just not that hurt about it. I don't see his game falling off a cliff and I don't think his current game is far off from a $5.25m player. I just think it's funny that people talk about how we always lack top 6 centers. BG just locked one in for the next 8 years. BG just drafted a center in the 1st round and the 2nd round. It's clear to me fixing the center issue is his primary long term focus and signing the only guy worthy of being called a top 6 center on our team is just step 1.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I guess I'm just not that hurt about it. I don't see his game falling off a cliff and I don't think his current game is far off from a $5.25m player. I just think it's funny that people talk about how we always lack top 6 centers. BG just locked one in for the next 8 years. BG just drafted a center in the 1st round and the 2nd round. It's clear to me fixing the center issue is his primary long term focus and signing the only guy worthy of being called a top 6 center on our team is just step 1.
Is he really a top 6 center though? He hasn't really been that yet in his career. Thus far, he's only proven he can be a top 9 center.

BTW - I said I don't completely HATE the deal, I'm just not particularly fond of it either.

grimmel95

Jan 13, 2016
Minnesota
Is he really a top 6 center though? He hasn't really been that yet in his career. Thus far, he's only proven he can be a top 9 center.

BTW - I said I don't completely HATE the deal, I'm just not particularly fond of it either.
you think maybe Ek was the top 9 center because Koivu and Staal were ahead of him and we all know how coach budreau played the vets over the young kids. As soon as Ek didn't have those 2 guys a head of him he blossomed and took on a huge role for this team.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

What does he need to do with his given opportunities to prove he is a top 6 center?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
What does he need to do with his given opportunities to prove he is a top 6 center?
Put up top 6 worthy numbers.
you think maybe Ek was the top 9 center because Koivu and Staal were ahead of him and we all know how coach budreau played the vets over the young kids. As soon as Ek didn't have those 2 guys a head of him he blossomed and took on a huge role for this team.
And played well for a 3rd liner. Not nearly enough for what most would consider a top 6 center.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

That's kind of up to the coach at this point. Barring any major lineup changes next season (disappointing for most, I know), looking at a lineup like:

Kaprizov-Rossi-Zuccarello
Boldy-Ek-Fiala
Foligno-?-Hartman
?-Sturm-?

That could end up being viable if Rossi hits the ground running, and I wouldn't be shocked to see Ek hit something like 50-55 points with PP time. Maybe the reason they were grooming Fiala on the PK this season is to run Boldy-Ek-Fiala as our mock Perfection Line.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Eriksson Ek is top 30 in ES points and top 60 in total points amongst what the NHL's website deems to be a "center." What are top 6 numbers to you?
And yet has a career high of 30pts that pro-rates to 43pts in an 82gm season.

I don't know about you, but I expect top 6 centers to get well into the 50's myself.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... he doesn't seem to have great instincts at all offensively. He thinks things out far too deliberately, and thus offense just doesn't come naturally to him.

He has a ok shot and can get it off from time to time, but he's not much of a play maker. He doesn't read offense all that well.

He gets offense mostly by just grinding things out more than anything. That's why the GREEF line is so good with him on it... they all go at it the same way, and with their size and strength - it just works.

For comparison's sake... Koivu at the same age as Ek had 54 points. Koivu also wasn't the most "skilled" guy, but he had much better instincts.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

And played well for a 3rd liner. Not nearly enough for what most would consider a top 6 center.
He was 54th among Centers in the league for points, and 14th in goals for C's last year. Those are top 6C numbers. Once you throw in his defense and other attributes, he is a top 6 C for sure.

I just want him to get better at FO's, so he can play some PP, and out there at the end of close games. I will be happy if he gets 15-20 g, 20-25 a, unless he starts getting regular PP TOI. Then i need to see another 8-10 points, bringing him up to 50-55...pretty close to Koivu territory.

Legegendsofthenorth

Jun 6, 2018

He was the best player in the playoffs and it wasn't close. I have said this several times. BG is building a team that is hard to play against. I know many of you love ppg arguments, that doesn't matter because the regular season and playoffs are two different animals.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
And yet has a career high of 30pts that pro-rates to 43pts in an 82gm season.

I don't know about you, but I expect top 6 centers to get well into the 50's myself.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... he doesn't seem to have great instincts at all offensively. He thinks things out far too deliberately, and thus offense just doesn't come naturally to him.

He has a ok shot and can get it off from time to time, but he's not much of a play maker. He doesn't read offense all that well.

He gets offense mostly by just grinding things out more than anything. That's why the GREEF line is so good with him on it... they all go at it the same way, and with their size and strength - it just works.

I think you're maybe not giving him as much credit as he deserves. He's not a high end playmaking center, sure, but last year he started to really show glimpses of being able to make good passes in the offensive zone. He doesn't have excellent hands, he's doesn't have the agility to force guys out of position, no. But he is very good at reading the play and getting in position to shoot. Boldy and Fiala are both guys who are comfortable with the puck, as are Kaprizov and Zuccarello for that matter. Eriksson Ek doesn't need to be. He's in as good of a position to succeed in the top six as he can be here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad