Speculation: Trade and Free Agency Talk - LIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
What do you all think Hertl would cost? He or Miller seem to be the best options on the market.
It's a good question because he has a pretty restrictive no-trade and would have a good deal of control over where he ends up. An expiring UFA that can almost pick his landing spot might keep the price down... but there's no telling how interested he'd be in coming to Minnesota, either.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I'm talking myself into JT Miller. That extra year we can actually probably make room for gives us two proven Cs next year +Rossi.

Reactions: TwiztedHeat

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'm talking myself into JT Miller. That extra year we can actually probably make room for gives us two proven Cs next year +Rossi.

Okay, how do you make room for him next year? Because any solution I can see involves downgrading the roster around him to the point where it's just a lateral move. And that still doesn't account for the assets you gave up to get him that won't contribute in the future.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Okay, how do you make room for him next year? Because any solution I can see involves downgrading the roster around him to the point where it's just a lateral move. And that still doesn't account for the assets you gave up to get him that won't contribute in the future.

Looks like I misread something a trade thread somewhere along the line. I thought I read he's only at 2.5 ish cause Tampa retained. Must have been Vancouver retains offer to juice the return.

I'm less enthused. At 5 and some change.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Recent Insider Trading segment mentions that Dorian and McGuire were indeed scouting Minnesota last night. Not a lot that I'd really want to try to pick off of that roster, though.
Yeah, I looked at the Sens roster when McGuire was on the radio. I didn't see anything I'd be interested in having on the Wild.

Doesn't really make sense for Ottawa to scout the NHL team if they're selling anyway. Anything we give them probably wasn't playing last night if the two teams are looking at a true deadline deal. They might be getting an early look at someone like Fiala/Dumba/Greenway/Sturm/etc for the summer. It might also be more of a true hockey deal, where we get one of their younger centers in exchange for some NHL pieces that they like long term. Who knows.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Doesn't really make sense for Ottawa to scout the NHL team if they're selling anyway. Anything we give them probably wasn't playing last night if the two teams are looking at a true deadline deal. They might be getting an early look at someone like Fiala/Dumba/Greenway/Sturm/etc for the summer. It might also be more of a true hockey deal, where we get one of their younger centers in exchange for some NHL pieces that they like long term. Who knows.
LeBrun made it sound like they'd be looking at "cap strapped" teams that might be looking to make more of a hockey trade before the deadline. Which makes sense, even if I can't see that going anywhere with Minnesota this year.

Getting an early look at some trade candidates this summer also makes a lot of sense.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Maybe they just wanted to watch the Habs lose?

If I had to guess it would be the 4th line, Fiala, and Greenway they were scouting.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
It's a good question because he has a pretty restrictive no-trade and would have a good deal of control over where he ends up. An expiring UFA that can almost pick his landing spot might keep the price down... but there's no telling how interested he'd be in coming to Minnesota, either.

He might want to move to a playoff team to showcase himself and improve his price in the offseason?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
He might want to move to a playoff team to showcase himself and improve his price in the offseason?
Maybe, though I dunno how much he really needs to market himself anymore. He'll be able to make bank as it is, and may just want to go to a team that he can sign an extension with.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
Maybe, though I dunno how much he really needs to market himself anymore. He'll be able to make bank as it is, and may just want to go to a team that he can sign an extension with.

Yeah, that's actually pretty likely. Meh, I'll keep my fingers crossed anyway. He'd be fantastic between Boldy and Fiala.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Tierney fell off a cliff aka the ol' Rask career

Gaudette seems to be doing okay in Ottawa - 3 goals, 3 assists for 6 points in 15. Wish we had picked him up.

They aren't going to trade Norris.

Won't trade Pinto either.

I'm kind of digging Nicolas Roy out of Vegas.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Following along with really most threads on the trade board, I’m confused by how the Rangers prospects are being viewed. What’s so special about Schneider? Kravtsov? I don’t see blue chippers there and their overall pool is nothing to write home about, especially in comparison to the Wild’s pool.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Following along with really most threads on the trade board, I’m confused by how the Rangers prospects are being viewed. What’s so special about Schneider? Kravtsov? I don’t see blue chippers there and their overall pool is nothing to write home about, especially in comparison to the Wild’s pool.

Schneider has always held some high value, no idea why. Kravtsov only because he was a top 10 pick.

Ranger fans always tend to overvalue their players.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Big, physical, two-way RD, wore a letter for his junior team for three years. That's like asking what's so special about Lambos, only Schneider has more of a physical edge.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Schneider was one of my fav Dmen in his draft year. Old school, big, defender, but can skate, and has some puck skill.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
If you think Pavelski is going to be an option as a center upgrade, you’re probably wrong. He’s on pace for close to 100 points this year.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota

I haven't done the deep dive, but if there is a way that Vancouver retains 50% (overpay,) I would think we could make it work. Price would be high, but I would consider 1st/2nd/prospect. Don't think many will agree with me, but I think he would make this team legit this year. 2 real scoring lines and the best 3rd line in the league could be dangerous.

Or, trade him at full cap and move him this off-season for parts.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I haven't done the deep dive, but if there is a way that Vancouver retains 50% (overpay,) I would think we could make it work. Price would be high, but I would consider 1st/2nd/prospect. Don't think many will agree with me, but I think he would make this team legit this year. 2 real scoring lines and the best 3rd line in the league could be dangerous.

this line of thinking makes plenty of sense. even if you take him at full hit and wait till offseason to see what happens that is fine. does it mean no greenway next year? thats ok. do we need to shuffle more than we wanted to with defense and sliding rookies in? probably but that is also ok.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

Trading for him and flipping him is kind of an interesting option. Between those two trades I'm not sure how much the half-season + playoffs you get from him costs, but it wouldn't be hard to trade him again.

Jesus comma Brodin

Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Trading for him and flipping him is kind of an interesting option. Between those two trades I'm not sure how much the half-season + playoffs you get from him costs, but it wouldn't be hard to trade him again.

I mean, it could work but we'd have to know going in that we are not going to get the same value back this summer. Which is fine.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I mean, it could work but we'd have to know going in that we are not going to get the same value back this summer. Which is fine.

If we're talking about losing a 1st + 2nd + prospect, but then getting back a 1st + 3rd + maybe slightly lesser prospect, it's definitely worth considering, though "prospect" is a fairly wide range.

Moving Lambos and even getting an O'Rourke-type guy back is still probably a slight gut punch.

Jesus comma Brodin

Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
If we're talking about losing a 1st + 2nd + prospect, but then getting back a 1st + 3rd + maybe slightly lesser prospect, it's definitely worth considering, though "prospect" is a fairly wide range.

So there are 2 different situations here, at least in my opinion that is essentially irrelevant.

1st/2nd+high prospect @ 50% retained.

1st/2nd+lesser prospect for no retention.

If we get JT @ 50% retained, we are able to keep him around for the remainder of his deal when the cap hit is an effing steal @ $2.625M

Reactions: Prior

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN

Moving Lambos and even getting an O'Rourke-type guy back is still probably a slight gut punch.

hard to say, you could potentially get more than you bought him for since itll be the offseason and more teams will want his services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad