Speculation: Trade and Free Agency Talk - LIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Eichel is still a big risk for 10M/year. Plus the cap situation. Minnesota realistically wasn't ready for the trade.
This is where I am at. The Wild just couldn't make it work unless you try to sell off players to make the cap work. As it stands I think the Wild know they will be treading water/tanking for the next 4 years at least. I'm not convinced an Eichel makes us a contender with a roster heavily infected by dead cap. We'd probably look like the Oilers did for so many years. A team with a star but not a good enough supporting cast.

As it stands the timing of this trade didn't help the Wild. If it was a few years earlier or later I'd be more upset.

Reactions: TheeNorthStar

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Or perhaps....just maybe the Wild didn't have a lot that Buffalo was interested in... takes two to make a trade and from the sounds of it over the past couple months, it was always, always going to be Vegas. We need a top center badly, but you can't pitchfork BG without knowing every detail.

And I say that as someone who is rather suspect of our GM.

Not to mention, we're gonna be in cap hell thanks to the buyouts. This team couldn't handle it.

This is where I am at. The Wild just couldn't make it work unless you try to sell off players to make the cap work. As it stands I think the Wild know they will be treading water/tanking for the next 4 years at least. I'm not convinced an Eichel makes us a contender with a roster heavily infected by dead cap. We'd probably look like the Oilers did for so many years. A team with a star but not a good enough supporting cast.

As it stands the timing of this trade didn't help the Wild. If it was a few years earlier or later I'd be more upset.
Treading water for the next 4 years. In other words, we're gonna waste Kaprizov's prime years just like we did with Gabby. It's a shame. But here we are....

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: thestonedkoala

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Eichel is the type of player you acquire and figure out the rest later. Current cap and future projections do not matter. Even with the buyouts.

You move what you need to make it work especially with this rock bottom price.

Reactions: 2Pair

RussosBurner

Jun 19, 2012
State of Hockey
I understand the risks and drawbacks of the Wild making a move for Eichel. I know the cap would be hard to navigate. My prevailing feeling is still that this was a missed opportunity for Guerin to acquire the type of player we've always needed and never have come close to having. A healthy motivated Eichel is all-world.

It also annoys the f*** out of me that he's going to Vegas

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Eichel is the type of player you acquire and figure out the rest later. Current cap and future projections do not matter. Even with the buyouts.

You move what you need to make it work especially with this rock bottom price.
I'm sorry if this reply is mean, but:

Enron is the type of company you invest in right now and worry about what it's doing later. It's such a good company that valuation doesn't matter. What you could gain or lose doesn't matter, even with its debt problem.

Seriously, you have to figure everything in right now. You don't just acquire something without worrying about its cost and it's risks.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
All I can say is they better figure something out this summer, bc otherwise I think the failure to act will cost us the prime years of KK, Dumba, Spurgeon and brodin. After seeing Rossi, I don’t think it’s smart to even count on him being 1C next year.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
At this point, I think Minnesota has some sort of Stockholm Syndrome going on with their GMs...fans are always making excuses (not saying it isn't warranted here), but the goalposts and the whole "I really didn't want it" attitude is showing. I've been guilty of that myself, but...

"Reinhart doesn't even play center"
"Trocheck was injured and doesn't look great"
"Bennett hasn't shown anything."
"The cap hit is too high"

At some point, Minnesota is going to have to either tank hard OR roll the dice on a center.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
At this point, I think Minnesota has some sort of Stockholm Syndrome going on with their GMs...fans are always making excuses (not saying it isn't warranted here), but the goalposts and the whole "I really didn't want it" attitude is showing. I've been guilty of that myself, but...

"Reinhart doesn't even play center"
"Trocheck was injured and doesn't look great"
"Bennett hasn't shown anything."
"The cap hit is too high"

At some point, Minnesota is going to have to either tank hard OR roll the dice on a center.
In fairness, I was all for trading for all three of those guys. I am not in favor of this Eichel deal. Too much risk and not enough reward. On the others, it was buying low.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
I'm sorry if this reply is mean, but:

Enron is the type of company you invest in right now and worry about what it's doing later. It's such a good company that valuation doesn't matter. What you could gain or lose doesn't matter, even with its debt problem.

Seriously, you have to figure everything in right now. You don't just acquire something without worrying about its cost and it's risks.

It’s not mean, the analogy just has no basis in a sport or cap world. It’s okay, you can try again.

Reactions: 2Pair

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Greenway, Boldy, 1st, 3rd

Cap doesn’t work for us.

Is Eichel even going to play this year?
Well, the cap doesn't really work for VGK, and I bet BUF would've taken Rask.

Rossi/Boldy, Greenway(upstate NY guy), Rask, protected 1st, 2nd for Eichel and a 3rd? Value wise, i'd do that. Cap wise, it'd cost us one of Dumba, Fiala, or Zuccarello. Probably Fiala, as it would be tough to trade Dumba or Zuc with nothing coming back, and i'm not sure the team can afford to lose Dumba for at least another year.

On top of that, the 1st will probably be in the mid late teens, and I like keeping picks in @RossiSaveUs's hands.

So I reluctantly come to the conclusion that I am ok with not making this trade.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
In fairness, I was all for trading for all three of those guys. I am not in favor of this Eichel deal. Too much risk and not enough reward. On the others, it was buying low.

Me too...well I was against Trocheck.

At this point, Minnesota fans want a magical unicorn. An elite, 1st line center for cheap.

The biggest concern now is what if Rossi/Marat doesn't develop like they hope and they end up being like Granlund? Good complimentary player that plays wing?

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
It’s not mean, the analogy just has no basis in a sport or cap world. It’s okay, you can try again.
It's not a perfect parallel, I agree, but it does have basis. That basis is that you have a cap when you're buying a company for your portfolio (presumably you don't have unlimited money), and when you're acquiring an asset for your portfolio (re: team), weighing the asset's current price, potential risk, and potential return to calculate a current and future value is vitally important. That's true of all assets, including hockey players.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Tuch has had multiple 15+ goal seasons (his outlier I believe was when he was injured). He's a much better player physically as well than Greenway. Greenway is a Coyotes version of Tuch.
Tuch is not a more physical player than Greenway.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Me too...well I was against Trocheck.

At this point, Minnesota fans want a magical unicorn. An elite, 1st line center for cheap.

The biggest concern now is what if Rossi/Marat doesn't develop like they hope and they end up being like Granlund? Good complimentary player that plays wing?

Then we continue on as we have been. And it's been so fun that we're all still here! ;)

Reactions: thestonedkoala
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad