Speculation: Trade and Free Agency Talk - LIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
C’mon Wild, couldn’t come close to tuch, krebs, 1st and 3rd?
Tuch is probably considered better than Fiala so which forward are you giving up? Rossi + 1st + 3rd. trade is quite a bit more fair than most people thought it would be.

Greenway, Boldy, 1st, 3rd

Cap doesn’t work for us.

Is Eichel even going to play this year?
he can potentially be back for the olympics.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Tuch is probably considered better than Fiala so which forward are you giving up? Rossi + 1st + 3rd. trade is quite a bit more fair than most people thought it would be.

Why is Tuch considered better than Fiala?

Fiala has been playing at a ~66 point pace since the 2019-20 season, compared to Tuch's 42p pace.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Why is Tuch considered better than Fiala?

Fiala has been playing at a ~66 point pace since the 2019-20 season, compared to Tuch's 42p pace.
playoff performance. Tuch brings a different element than fiala along with 42 point pace and doesnt stop once playoffs hit. even if its a wash, you would think we could of made an offer close to this.

If I'm VGK, I don't want Eichel anywhere near the Olympics.
im not saying put him in the olympics. that is just the timeline i have heard speculated as they say its 4 months recovery so if its completed today, he could be ready to play in february.

Last edited by a moderator:

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Tuch is a Greenway level player.

That is an extremely underwhelming return for Buffalo and even more so that Guerin stayed on the outside of getting a high level center for pennies on the dollar.

Reactions: 2Pair

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Tuch is a Greenway level player.

That is an extremely underwhelming return for Buffalo and even more so that Guerin stayed on the outside of getting a high level center for pennies on the dollar.
Tuch>>>Greenway.

as annoying as it is that we didnt beat that, the amount of teams interested that could easily have beaten that offer is confusing.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Tuch had one outlying year and fell back into the type of player he is and he’s a better player than Greenway? He’s not.

Reactions: guitarhunterdude

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Tuch had one outlying year and fell back into the type of player he is and he’s a better player than Greenway? He’s not.

Tuch has had multiple 15+ goal seasons (his outlier I believe was when he was injured). He's a much better player physically as well than Greenway. Greenway is a Coyotes version of Tuch.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Vegas has been extremely aggressive from a roster point of view. They've now traded for Eichel, Patches, Stone, Martinez, Tatar, Brassard, etc.

You'd think up to this point they would have made almost no first or second round picks, but after the expansion year, they've only been down a single first and a single second in the past few drafts. Crazy what they were handed in the expansion draft to pull something off like this.

RussosBurner

Jun 19, 2012
State of Hockey
Can’t believe this is the asking price Guerin backed off of. Players like Eichel are almost never available, we should have pushed much harder given the specifics of this deal. I’m guessing salary cap was the ultimate deterrent? I

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
So, Buffalo got 3 first rounders? Tuch, Krebs and a 1st...so it looks like they backed off the whole at least (4) 1st round pieces. They even had to give up a 3rd. So essentially, they got one roster player, one developing prospect and a mid-to-late first round pick (the pick is top 10 protected)

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Tuch isn't even close to a Fiala level player

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Greenway, Boldy, 1st, 3rd

Cap doesn’t work for us.

Is Eichel even going to play this year?
I actually don't think that's enough to beat Vegas's offer. I see it as Fiala, Boldy, a 1st and a 3rd. (this isn't about equaling Tuch, it's about beating Tuch) That solidly beats Vegas's offer. I think Buffalo would prefer Foligno to Greenway, even.

And yeah, you're right, that cap situation makes no sense for the Wild. I think this would have been a bad move for Guerin. He'd have been losing or trading a player(s) for nothing just to shed cap this year (to say nothing of the next three seasons, which would be very hard to predict at this point). Can you imagine how angry people would be getting as he'd be trading some of our better players for almost nothing, just to get cap-compliant this year?

Actually, I'm going to just consider that for a minute. If they traded the above package for Eichel, the Wild would need to clear another $5m in cap space to become complaint this season. Zuccarello has a NMC, so we can't assume he'd just suddenly change his mind about wanting to play for the Wild, and with Kaprizov. He seems to enjoy it on the Wild. The easiest player to move to clear that much space would be Matt Dumba, thanks to both the dollar amount of his cap hit and how short his contract is.

So the (uninjured) roster becomes:

Kaprizov - Eichel - Zuccarello
Hartman - JEE - Foligno
Greenway - Gaudreau - Bjugstad
Sturm - Rask/Pitlick - Duhaime

Brodin - Spurgeon
Goligoski - Addison
Kulikov - Merrill/Benn (both are wrong-handed for the job)

As for the off-season the Wild will have to re-sign or replace Sturm, Rask, Bjugstad, Merrill, and Benn as they are UFAs. They also have Greenway and Kahkonen as RFAs. I think they could reasonably fill those spots, "thanks" to Greenway's lack of growth. The main issue is losing Dumba for almost nothing right now. Really the Eichel trade becomes Eichel + Bufalo's 3rd + whatever return you get for Dumba mid-season from an unknown team (I'm guessing a 2nd or 3rd as an optimist, because remember, Dumba has a modified NTC) in exchange for Fiala, Dumba, Boldy, a 1st and a 3rd. The Wild would be paying way more than Vegas for virtually the same trade.

Overall, I think the Wild come out of it a different team, but I'm not sold on them either being a better or worse team. They have a better top line, less scoring depth overall (Fiala and Dumba), and a weaker defense. Overall, I think it's a lateral move, but that's assuming a healthy Eichel. Guerin would have to add in the risk that Eichel would not regain his old form. If he doesn't regain his old form in this scenario, the Wild come out of it with a net negative. I don't know about you, but if I were investing in a stock and, after valuation, saw that the best-case scenario would be to keep my money, I just wouldn't invest in it. There has to be potential upside, or the deal isn't worth it.

Of course, there will be those who think the Wild wouldn't have to include Fiala. To them, I need to mention that Fiala would become a cap casualty because of the trade, if he weren't included in the trade.

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP
i understand wanting a 1C and it sucks hes coming to the west, but I think holding the line here was the right move.
Too many variables. plus I dont think we'd feel comfortable with the offer it would take to beat the VGK offer, nor am I confident that our "equivalent" wouldve been accepted over this one or Calgarys.

However, i truly have no idea where we're getting a 1c anymore. I dont see it anytime soon. Larkin? idk..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad