OT: TPT article - Tavares: To the Islanders Faithful

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The issue I have with this article is that he directs it as a response to Islanders fans. If this had been an article put out in a couple of months, I'd be a great view into the mind of Tavares with a lot of nostalgia going both ways. But as a response to how Islanders fans feel right now? Not good. A good response to Islanders fans would be concise, honest, and no bull****ting around. It should go something like: "I grew with the Islanders and had 9 wonderful years in the organization. My feelings for the franchise will be something I carry with me for life. But I am also a professional with a short career that I need to make the most of, and this is my one big chance to influence it. I had to do what was right for me as a professional, and for my family. The Leafs offered us a direction and an opportunity that continued to elude the Islanders, and so I had to make the tough decision to leave."

Something like that. Probably change the wording to illustrate and include the point that it was a decision he arrived at in the courting period. But Islanders fans are pissed and bewildered. Throwing lots of nostalgia and professions of love at them now is not going to help things. That's like being dumped and asking why, and all you get are assurances that you are a great person and that they care for you. You don't want that. You want to know why.

He should have been as honest as he could about how he no longer believed in the direction of the team. That's something they could at least relate to.
The growing up in NY was nice and I agree, all the rest probably won’t be touching to the fans. NY doesn’t care about Gilmour in ‘93 or the Leaf pajamas any more than we would care about Matthews learning to love the game in Arizona if he left UFA.
Overall it was a very nice sentiment but we can look at it objectively because we didn’t lose, the Islander fans lost. They lost for multiple reasons and most of them ring hollow. They most likely will never forgive us, even if the eventually forgive JT.
But now the next chapter starts so let’s see if the kid who grew up in NY can evolve into a champion in Toronto.

Reactions: TeamBester

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
but it's him talking to the fans. like that's the point of the players tribune. they write (or they speak and someone writes it for them). the goal was just explaining this was not easy, it's not about the fandom, and things that led up to it.
(which quite frankly, was a lot more than what I would have offered, because he did zero wrong).
I think the message was directed to 2 fan bases which might have been a mistake. I am not trashing him.
There is an old saying. Everything before "but" is bull shit

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
but why is it empty?
it was a hard decision to leave something, and he tried to articulate them.
The tweet message? I think it sounded just like every other similar goodbye, from players who have much less of a connection to their teams. It was just platitudes. The Player's Tribune article was absolutely full of nostalgia and emotions, so it went to the other extreme.

I was just saying that Islanders fans didn't want declarations of love, they wanted him to tell them why he left. And since he leaves them mostly with childhood dream as argument, they feel like he's trying to say it had nothing to do with them. And everyone knows that it had a lot to do with them. That first tweet message should have been more honest and straightforward, and the Player's Tribune article shouldn't have been written as a response to fans being angry.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Islanders fans are not happy that he signed with the Leafs. Simple as that.

They made fun of Leaf fans for 9 years who though Tavares would eventually come home and now that it actually happened they are directing their anger at Tavares.
yeah i'm sure that's a big part of it. I don't think anything Tavares could say or do can ease their pain. He had the choice between the Islanders and the Leafs and he decided he wanted to be a Leaf, and for less money. That doesn't mean it's okay to snap like they did, but I get it

kindalaidback

숨 참고 LOVE DIVE
Nov 24, 2017
NYC
I kind of wish JT tweeted

"to NY islanders and fans.... Go **** yourselves, im going home. Ive wasted 9 years of my life with this ****ty team and ownership/management have done nothing to create a winner."
Why should he tweet this to the fans? I mean, it's not their fault that the team has been a tire fire for decades.

Blair

Oct 15, 2006
Edmonton, AB
Islander fans are merely justifying his decision. Any doubts he might have had about signing with the Leafs are surely quelled when the alternative was to play in front of so many people spitting on him and his fiance the way that they are. That is obviously not the appropriate response. You can say JT indicated this or that or said he didn't want to go... but was that perhaps before any substantial changes to the organization? Did a general manager or maybe a coach get shown the door recently? Believing his mind was completely made up on Toronto for a long time is just plain dumb (as Nithoniniel says there is nothing to gain from charades), and Islander fans directing all of their flavourful emotions (from sour to bitter to salty) at Tavares is letting the organization itself off the hook. Big time.

Reactions: AppsSyl

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Why should he tweet this to the fans? I mean, it's not their fault that the team has been a tire fire for decades.

well obviously its hindsight with their reaction since he left. I mean they also had terrible attendance issues when they were at the coliseum that is on the fans no?. Also it would be just plain funny to me, even if lets say Matthews left as a UFA id still find it funny

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think the message was directed to 2 fan bases which might have been a mistake. I am not trashing him.
There is an old saying. Everything before "but" is bull ****

lol that is true.

The tweet message? I think it sounded just like every other similar goodbye, from players who have much less of a connection to their teams. It was just platitudes. The Player's Tribune article was absolutely full of nostalgia and emotions, so it went to the other extreme.

I was just saying that Islanders fans didn't want declarations of love, they wanted him to tell them why he left. And since he leaves them mostly with childhood dream as argument, they feel like he's trying to say it had nothing to do with them. And everyone knows that it had a lot to do with them. That first tweet message should have been more honest and straightforward, and the Player's Tribune article shouldn't have been written as a response to fans being angry.

ah. i se.

napoleon in rags

Fred's dead, Baby... Fred's dead
Jun 17, 2009
St. Helena
The issue I have with this article is that he directs it as a response to Islanders fans. If this had been an article put out in a couple of months, I'd be a great view into the mind of Tavares with a lot of nostalgia going both ways. But as a response to how Islanders fans feel right now? Not good. A good response to Islanders fans would be concise, honest, and no bull****ting around. It should go something like: "I grew with the Islanders and had 9 wonderful years in the organization. My feelings for the franchise will be something I carry with me for life. But I am also a professional with a short career that I need to make the most of, and this is my one big chance to influence it. I had to do what was right for me as a professional, and for my family. The Leafs offered us a direction and an opportunity that continued to elude the Islanders, and so I had to make the tough decision to leave."

Something like that. Probably change the wording to illustrate and include the point that it was a decision he arrived at in the courting period. But Islanders fans are pissed and bewildered. Throwing lots of nostalgia and professions of love at them now is not going to help things. That's like being dumped and asking why, and all you get are assurances that you are a great person and that they care for you. You don't want that. You want to know why.

He should have been as honest as he could about how he no longer believed in the direction of the team. That's something they could at least relate to.

Nith, I generally love your posts, but on this occasion I have to say that a pro athlete leaving one team and going to another is nothing "like being dumped". Nor is it similar, as one NYI fan suggested, to finding out that your spouse is having an affair with your best friend. The hyperbole over a hockey free agent exercising his right to sign with whomever he pleases has reached peak silliness.

Regardless of the timing of the article and whether or not it should have been addressed to NYI fans, I, for one, am baffled by the unreasonable spleen, venom, and vitriol spewing out of the NYI forum, and I refuse to rationalize it. As a poster on here suggested, the hatred expressed toward JT by NYI fans probably has more to do with the fact that JT signed with the Leafs than it does with any of the flimsy excuses I've read in their forum. It is impossible to prove, but I'm certain that if JT had signed with Dallas, for instance, then the hysteria, anguish, and distress from NYI fans would be but a whisper compared to the current ridiculous cacophony.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando

They made fun of Leaf fans for 9 years who though Tavares would eventually come home and now that it actually happened they are directing their anger at Tavares.
This is why Leafs fans are so happy.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Oh my the drama! Welcome to TO, John where fans hang on, speculate and discuss everything you say or do!

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017

It sounds extremely funny when someone here says he could have been honest or something alike. How do you know how he feels or what he is going through? Do you live his life? He wrote however he felt, he didn’t write to the likings for you guys to sympathize with him.

How do you know that he wasn’t being honest when he said he wasn’t happy with the organization’s direction going forward? I don’t know why people would act like something that sounds good is always the honest way to put things together.

He could’ve been dishonest and saying words that would have felt like flowers falling from his mouth but he didn’t and that’s the honest way to do it.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Nith, I generally love your posts, but on this occasion I have to say that a pro athlete leaving one team and going to another is nothing "like being dumped". Nor is it similar, as one NYI fan suggested, to finding out that your spouse is having an affair with your best friend. The hyperbole over a hockey free agent exercising his right to sign with whomever he pleases has reached peak silliness.
I agree with you. The comparison was more about wanting one kind of answer and getting another completely.

Regardless of the timing of the article and whether or not it should have been addressed to NYI fans, I, for one, am baffled by the unreasonable spleen, venom, and vitriol spewing out of the NYI forum, and I refuse to rationalize it. As a poster on here suggested, the hatred expressed toward JT by NYI fans probably has more to do with the fact that JT signed with the Leafs than it does with any of the flimsy excuses I've read in their forum. It is impossible to prove, but I'm certain that if JT had signed with Dallas, for instance, then the hysteria, anguish, and distress from NYI fans would be but a whisper compared to the current ridiculous cacophony.
I agree with this too. I understand them being heartbroken over it, but the reactions are just beyond anything reasonable. I share your position on that. I tried to focus more on the article itself, what could have been done differently with that from JTs perspective.

A bond between a fanbase and their franchise player can be something special. I feel for JT as his bond with the Islanders fans seem to be hanging by a thread, and it's mostly from that perspective I'm arguing what he could have done better here. But I understand him too. If I was in his shoes, I'd probably be desperate to try and explain myself as well.

It sounds extremely funny when someone here says he could have been honest or something alike. How do you know how he feels or what he is going through? Do you live his life? He wrote however he felt, he didn’t write to the likings for you guys to sympathize with him.
It's quite obvious to anyone that has followed the JT saga from the start that his doubts about the franchise was a major, major issue here. Everybody knows it, but JT doesn't want to ruffle feathers after leaving so he keeps a lid on it.

How do you know that he wasn’t being honest when he said he wasn’t happy with the organization’s direction going forward? I don’t know why people would act like something that sounds good is always the honest way to put things together.
Eh. That's exactly what I wanted him to say, and what he didn't say in either of his addresses to the Islanders fans.

He could’ve been dishonest and saying words that would have felt like flowers falling from his mouth but he didn’t and that’s the honest way to do it.
That's pretty much exactly how I would describe how that PT article comes across. EDIT: Ok, that's not completely true. Everything he says sounds genuine. But it also sounds like someone who tries to tell you how much he cares because he can't offer a good explanation for why he let you down.

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Oh my the drama! Welcome to TO, John where fans hang on, speculate and discuss everything you say or do!

JT did not write the article in response to posts on this board. Posters on this board bleed the same blue and white as JT does and it is a 24x7 loveathon for JT here.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I absolutely was “Pajama Boy.”

You know, guilty as charged. And I absolutely deserve every bit of ribbing that I got on that one: I had the pajamas, I had the bedsheets, the blankets, the pillow cases. Man, it was just — it was an absurd, obsessed amount of Leafs stuff. And it was the time of my life.

In no way had I made up my mind yet, as far as where I was signing, before I took those free-agency meetings.

In no way.

Has it been a boyhood dream of mine to play for the Leafs? I’d be lying if I said it hasn’t. And was realizing that dream a major factor in my ultimately choosing to sign with the Leafs — even over a franchise that, like I said, in many ways raised me? It was a major factor, yes. But it wasn’t my entire decision. And anyone who claims it was … I’ll just say that they must not know me at all.

I for sure know there will still be some people who think I signed a wink-wink contract with the Maples Leafs, in secret, on Christmas morning of 1997. (Not true, though for the record I would have if they’d offered.)

Welcome to Toronto John! Honoured to have you in the Blue & White. Let's do this!

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
there is no doubt he is gonna get boo'd in brooklyn/long island/whatever dumpster they decide to play in next.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
It was a decent thing to do, he didn’t have to lay out his emotions the way he did, but I think it was from the heart.

Sports fans are spoiled in general, we have this feeling of propriety over the teams but at the end of the day it’s this mans living and his family involved with the decision. We felt it with Sundin, but Isles fans will get over it.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I think it was heartfelt but in communications, you have to have clear goals. He should have hired a professional PR firm and if he did, he should stop payment of the cheque. The message was a bit muddled in MHO

100% Agree.

but it's him talking to the fans. like that's the point of the players tribune. they write (or they speak and someone writes it for them). the goal was just explaining this was not easy, it's not about the fandom, and things that led up to it.
(which quite frankly, was a lot more than what I would have offered, because he did zero wrong).

That's quite ironic considering there's Stamkos did nothing wrong in not coming to Toronto yet you're so pissed at him, you're still taking pot shots at him years after the fact. I can only imagine what you'd be posting right about now if you were a NYI fan. Would you be saying Tavares did "zero wrong"? I doubt it. :laugh:

Sums it up, on the Islanders board a lot of them are talking about how they're planning to chant 67 at games, as if their nearly 40 year drought is any better lol. I've also been taking a glance around other boards on this topic and there are actually a ton of fanbases that are salty about the Leafs getting Tavares. There is even some very salty postings on the Penguins boards if you can believe it. Leafs sign the best Free Agent in decades and they're just pissed off lol, too funny.

Get used to it. We're by far the most hated fan base in the league. I joined here 5 years ago or whatever and the more time that passes, the clearer it becomes. As we get better as a team the hate just grows and grows. It's never bothered me, I've just ignored it but now, honestly I'm starting to revel in it and I suggest everyone else do the same. :)

There is an old saying. Everything before "but" is bull ****

I hadn't heard that saying before but that's awesome!

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Frankly this article would only make things worse if I were an Islanders fan. Why does the letter addressed to Islanders fans contain so much Leafs talk? They don't care about his origin story of becoming a Leafs fan. All it does is reinforce the narrative that he was always going to do this. They're angry and gushing about Leafs memories is only throwing gas on the fire.

If I were John I would have been frank about the arena situation and near decade of mismanagement. The Islanders feel like a wandering gypsy franchise with their various buildings. He'd be signing for 8 years before shovels hit the ground at the Belmont location. That would be tough for me. The mismanagement of the franchise for his entire career is pretty obvious as well. And I wouldn't have faith in Lou turning things around.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

ninetyone

Jul 12, 2018

longtime lurker and Tavares fan, I feel for the fans but Tavares leaving gives them a scapegoat - completely undeserved since he's the only reason the team's been respectable for SOME of the last nine years.

If they were a better team, he'd still be there. He signed a six year extension giving up UFA years, making very little money compared to his peers, and the team rewarded him by surrounding him with no goalie, no defense, no coach, no GM, one playoff victory.

If fans believe Tavares' feelings are sincere, how pathetic to they look burning jerseys for the one marquis player who clearly enjoyed playing there and gave the team respectability. Makes no sense.

I remember when Sundin refused to be dealt in his last year. He was trashed, but not that much, and still revered in Toronto because of what he did on the ice.

In any case, this is the most exciting Leaf season since (well, since last year) maybe 1993?

And that jersey looks like it's always been on him.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Frankly this article would only make things worse if I were an Islanders fan. Why does the letter addressed to Islanders fans contain so much Leafs talk? They don't care about his origin story of becoming a Leafs fan. All it does is reinforce the narrative that he was always going to do this. They're angry and gushing about Leafs memories is only throwing gas on the fire.

If I were John I would have been frank about the arena situation and near decade of mismanagement. The Islanders feel like a wandering gypsy franchise with their various buildings. He'd be signing for 8 years before shovels hit the ground at the Belmont location. That would be tough for me. The mismanagement of the franchise for his entire career is pretty obvious as well. And I wouldn't have faith in Lou turning things around.

Sometimes all the planets just line up perfectly, and it is extremely rare for any person in their life to get the opportunity to do something transcendent...John Tavares reached out and grabbed it...we're a great team on the cusp of true greatness, the Leafs was his childhood love, all his family is here (plus, you know, if still around our mothers and fathers do age, get old with each passing day, and won't be around forever), his fiance is from here and they are getting married probably in a couple of weeks, he's 27 years old (not really that young in hockey terms though still has a few prime years left), our core is young, talented and still relatively cheap in a cap world and John fits in perfectly, and he's needed here and we have the room for him.

About the Islanders, I think he's comforted that they are in great hands with a new management team, they have young core pieces like Barzal and just had a great draft...all these things make it "easier" (not easy) to let go and come home.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad