OT: TPT article - Tavares: To the Islanders Faithful

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
I totally understand the Islanders fans rage. I almost even feel bad for them.

But mostly I don't care. We got Tavares! And he came home because being a Leaf means something. Damn right it does.

Thread The Needle

I have no strong feelings one way or the other.
Nov 28, 2016
Detroit
Let's face it, he didn't have to say any of this. I don't even know what he is trying to achieve. Anyone who is mad at him for leaving will stay mad (its just how they feel) and anyone not that upset will still not be that upset (maybe some will be more upset lol). But, I for one am just glad he signed with the Leafs. This just seems like when you dump someone and stick around to try to comfort them when the best thing is to not show your face anymore :laugh:

Reactions: phillipmike

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Let's face it, he didn't have to say any of this. I don't even know what he is trying to achieve. Anyone who is mad at him for leaving will stay mad (its just how they feel) and anyone not that upset will still not be that upset (maybe some will be more upset lol). But, I for one am just glad he signed with the Leafs. This just seems like when you dump someone and stick around to try to comfort them when the best thing is to not show your face anymore :laugh:

I get what you're saying, but he gave 9 years to the Islanders, for whatever reason he probably felt he needed to do it for his own peace of mind. I think he deserves that after 9 years.

Im just happy he's a Leaf. :D

Reactions: KIWILEAFFAN

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Hockey fans are a spoiled bunch. In the NBA, superstars leave teams via free agency all the time and you rarely see anything remotely like the Tavares backlash by the Isles fans (Lebron "The Decision" part I aside). At some point hockey players have to be loyal to themselves (by this I mean dreams/career goals i.e. winning a cup) and their family before the organization and a fan-base. Would any of us in his position, presented with a 1 time opportunity to take your dream job in your field pass it up strictly based on loyalty to an employer that has squandered your talents for 9 years, and looks to need another 2-3 years at least to even have any sort of serious playoff hopes?

Tavares gave essentially a decade to that franchise, signing a sweetheart deal to give them a chance to surround him with talent and they didn't. No legit starter in 9 years, a porous D and squandered top 5 pick after top 5 pick (Strome, Dal Colle).

I have been disgusted by some of the things that have been thrown around regarding Tavares, his fiancee, etc during this whole saga. The guy clearly cared about the team and the fans, and the fact that compared to the situations of the other teams pitching him during the interview period, that the Islanders were amongst them, and a finalist showed how much his loyalty to that franchise was weighing on him.

The fact that Islander management/ownership is not bearing the brunt for Tavares leaving and the franchise having nothing to show for it is ludicrous to me. They switch management and bring in Lou literally a month and a half prior to him hitting free agency and Trotz a week (or less) before, and expect it to coax him into staying? The owner threw the whole franchise into turmoil at the 11th hour. If I am the player I am thinking how is this going to play out? Are we rebuilding? Is my role going to change? Who that I am close to is going to be moved out the door? etc.

Last edited:

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
The fact that Islander management/ownership is not bearing the brunt for Tavares leaving and the franchise having nothing to show for it is ludicrous to me. They switch management and bring in Lou literally a month and a half prior to him hitting free agency and Trotz a week (or less) before, and expect it to coax him into staying? The owner threw the whole franchise into turmoil at the 11th hour. If I am the player I am thinking how is this going to play out? Are we rebuilding? Is my role going to change? Who that I am close to is going to be moved out the door? etc.

This too shall pass. There were some dark moments in the history of the leafs.
When Punch Imlach became GM in 1979, he did not get along with Sittler. He wanted to trade Sittler but there was a no trade clause. Out of spite, he traded his buddies, Lanny McDonald and Joel Quenneville to the Colorado Rockies. This was right after the leafs made it to the semi finals. McDonald had a fantastic career and the leafs continued to lose.
However bad the Isles fans feel, it is nothing that Toronto hasn't experienced 10 fold.
It is our time now. I care not that the Isles suffer because we have suffered enough
:banana::bb::bb::dd::dm::devdance::dumbo::pickle::walrus:

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
It doesn't matter what he says, they were never going to be happy or come to terms with his departure from the Isles, at least not any time soon.

Just because he fairly exercised his right as a player doesn't mean that the fans can't be upset by his decision. My annoyance at this point is that very few are willing to own that their anger is purely driven by the fact that he left. Instead, they want to push a narrative that their anger is because of how he left...and much of that narrative requires references to unverified sources and their own assumptions of what happened, what JT was thinking and how he was feeling.

If I'm not mistaken, he references being okay accepting that many fans may not believe him or feel much solace in his explanation but I think that also suggests that he's ready to move on with or without their blessings.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Hockey fans are a spoiled bunch. In the NBA, superstars leave teams via free agency all the time and you rarely see anything remotely like the Tavares backlash by the Isles fans (Lebron "The Decision" part I aside). At some point hockey players have to be loyal to themselves (by this I mean dreams/career goals i.e. winning a cup) and their family before the organization and a fan-base. Would any of us in his position, presented with a 1 time opportunity to take your dream job in your field pass it up strictly based on loyalty to an employer that has squandered your talents for 9 years, and looks to need another 2-3 years at least to even have any sort of serious playoff hopes?

Tavares gave essentially a decade to that franchise, signing a sweetheart deal to give them a chance to surround him with talent and they didn't. No legit starter in 9 years, a porous D and squandered top 5 pick after top 5 pick (Strome, Dal Colle).

I have been disgusted by some of the things that have been thrown around regarding Tavares, his fiancee, etc during this whole saga. The guy clearly cared about the team and the fans, and the fact that compared to the situations of the other teams pitching him during the interview period, that the Islanders were amongst them, and a finalist showed how much his loyalty to that franchise was weighing on him.

Thank you. Business is business. JT was nothing but class for the last decade.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Lol at the people who said he said to much it it was mushy or anything other then awesome.

He did not write the letter for Leaf fans he wrote it for himself and the fans who loved him. He was truly torn and he poured his heart out and wanted his fans to have an understanding of what he was going through as well as how much he knew it would hurt his fans.

Class act through and through and easily a player we will be able to depend on to help lead us to the ultimate goal.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Pretty much all the Players Tribune articles aren't written by the players. They do an in-depth interview and someone turns that into text. Similar to how most autobiographies are ghost-written.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
John wrote a "Dear John" letter to the islanders.
"It isn't you, it's me"

Leafsguard

Feb 1, 2018
What Islanders fans are forgetting is that their new president and GM Lou left the Leafs and his senior advisor role to take a dream job to work with his son! (Still say Lou was a Leafs plant that put the idea in JT's head)

I get the Islanders being upset I've seen us lose Sittler, Lanny, Dougie, Clark, Dougie again via injury, Sundin all of our greats became someone elses greats so I really understand.
JT doesn't appear to be a very outward emotional guy. Feel like he tried to convay that he wasn't even thinking about the Leafs until he had a 3 hour meeting with the Leafs who blew his socks off, I get the sentiment but seeing it from their POV i'd feel even worse.

What I did get is that he had/has a really close relationship with Doug Weight and that might have been the biggest mistake that Lou made was to fire him (of course replcing him with the most recent Cup winning coach is a plus)

beleaf101

Aug 9, 2009
Lou went to Long Island because he is a control freak

Funny the number 1 reason JT came to the Leafs is Lou. He did a fine job making us a desirable location to play for and clearing cap space. Dubas gets all the credit but Lou did all the work.
If l was an islanders fan l would be pissed at management past and present.

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013

Funny the number 1 reason JT came to the Leafs is Lou. He did a fine job making us a desirable location to play for and clearing cap space. Dubas gets all the credit but Lou did all the work.

Lou is not the number 1 reason. There are many that had a part in this. The ball started rolling with Lieweke who hired Shanahan who then hired Lou, Dubas, Babcock and Hunter.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario

No. If anyone gets the majority of credit for where this team is now its Shanahan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad