OT: TPT article - Tavares: To the Islanders Faithful

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What's kind of awesome is this is the thought process I would have imagined any Toronto born Leaf fan (Stamkos, McDavid, etc.) going through and Tavares just put it all into writing. Hopefully this isn't a one off but a road map for guys who want to come home in their primes.

Reactions: EN4CER

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
What's kind of awesome is this is the thought process I would have imagined any Toronto born Leaf fan (Stamkos, McDavid, etc.) going through and Tavares just put it all into writing. Hopefully this isn't a one off but a road map for guys who want to come home in their primes.
Just the perfect storm for JT. His old team is going no where, Leafs is close to contender status and have the cap space.
With the cap it is quite hard for any teams to be a super team, unless you have a whole bunch of ELC playing in bottom 6 fwd and bottom 3 D consistently.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
The issue I have with this article is that he directs it as a response to Islanders fans. If this had been an article put out in a couple of months, I'd be a great view into the mind of Tavares with a lot of nostalgia going both ways. But as a response to how Islanders fans feel right now? Not good. A good response to Islanders fans would be concise, honest, and no bullshitting around. It should go something like: "I grew with the Islanders and had 9 wonderful years in the organization. My feelings for the franchise will be something I carry with me for life. But I am also a professional with a short career that I need to make the most of, and this is my one big chance to influence it. I had to do what was right for me as a professional, and for my family. The Leafs offered us a direction and an opportunity that continued to elude the Islanders, and so I had to make the tough decision to leave."

Something like that. Probably change the wording to illustrate and include the point that it was a decision he arrived at in the courting period. But Islanders fans are pissed and bewildered. Throwing lots of nostalgia and professions of love at them now is not going to help things. That's like being dumped and asking why, and all you get are assurances that you are a great person and that they care for you. You don't want that. You want to know why.

He should have been as honest as he could about how he no longer believed in the direction of the team. That's something they could at least relate to.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Islander fans

main-qimg-6e37ab79b35d1156c85d57320fc6a1a5-c

Once

Jul 16, 2010
The man is pure class. Honoured to be a Leafs fan and to have him aboard.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The issue I have with this article is that he directs it as a response to Islanders fans. If this had been an article put out in a couple of months, I'd be a great view into the mind of Tavares with a lot of nostalgia going both ways. But as a response to how Islanders fans feel right now? Not good. A good response to Islanders fans would be concise, honest, and no bull****ting around. It should go something like: "I grew with the Islanders and had 9 wonderful years in the organization. My feelings for the franchise will be something I carry with me for life. But I am also a professional with a short career that I need to make the most of, and this is my one big chance to influence it. I had to do what was right for me as a professional, and for my family. The Leafs offered us a direction and an opportunity that continued to elude the Islanders, and so I had to make the tough decision to leave."

Something like that. Probably change the wording to illustrate and include the point that it was a decision he arrived at in the courting period. But Islanders fans are pissed and bewildered. Throwing lots of nostalgia and professions of love at them now is not going to help things. That's like being dumped and asking why, and all you get are assurances that you are a great person and that they care for you. You don't want that. You want to know why.

He should have been as honest as he could about how he no longer believed in the direction of the team. That's something they could at least relate to.

Yeah I agree. No big deal either way, he spoke from the heart and all that but it was just too long and mushy (and for that reason I didn't read it all). I read a couple pages on the NYI board and there was one comment that nailed it I think, it was something like "sounds like a guy who just left his bride at the altar but still wants to be friends". :laugh:

So yes, shorter and more to the point may have been better received on the island but whatever, I don't care too much about who helps him with his PR, I care about what an awesome hockey player he is and the fact that he's now a Maple Leaf. On paper this is by far the best Leaf team I've seen in my life and for the first time ever since I've been old enough to know what the Leafs are, I can honestly say that we have a realistic chance of winning the cup.

Welcome home JT!!

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I think a lot of the animosity stems from the fact that Tavares signed with the Leafs of all teams. I doubt the level of vitriol directed his way by Islanders fans would be even close to the same if he had signed with San Jose or Tampa Bay. Bet we’d see a lot more “Go get a Cup Johnny” and less of “I hope you achieve nothing you snake.”

I guess after nine years of chiding Leafs fans for daring to dream that Tavares would come here, only for it to actually happen, has caused something to snap within them. A lot of the insults are based on the fact that he followed his childhood dream. “Pyjama boy” is one of their favourite insults.

In the end, how they feel no longer matters. He’s not an Islander anymore. They can insult him and even go so far as to insult his fiancé, but it won’t change anything.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The issue I have with this article is that he directs it as a response to Islanders fans. If this had been an article put out in a couple of months, I'd be a great view into the mind of Tavares with a lot of nostalgia going both ways. But as a response to how Islanders fans feel right now? Not good. A good response to Islanders fans would be concise, honest, and no bull****ting around. It should go something like: "I grew with the Islanders and had 9 wonderful years in the organization. My feelings for the franchise will be something I carry with me for life. But I am also a professional with a short career that I need to make the most of, and this is my one big chance to influence it. I had to do what was right for me as a professional, and for my family. The Leafs offered us a direction and an opportunity that continued to elude the Islanders, and so I had to make the tough decision to leave."

Yeah, the address to Islanders fans might be annoying if you're one of them. Getting dumped and then having to listen to all the over wrought emotional turmoil.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana

You mean his July 1st tweet? Did not make one bit of an impact on isles fans..

Reactions: Clark4Ever and Pi

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
I think what he said is fine. Considering he didn't have to say anything. That's the thing now a days though... Everyone expects that stuff on Twitter, newspaper etc.

Islanders had a lot of time with him to figure it out, and they didn't, So he left. Pretty simple.

Prefect storm like someone else mentioned.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
but why is it empty?
it was a hard decision to leave something, and he tried to articulate them.
I think it was heartfelt but in communications, you have to have clear goals. He should have hired a professional PR firm and if he did, he should stop payment of the cheque. The message was a bit muddled in MHO

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Not only a great hockey player..... but class act and one day has a future in writing!!!!

All in all, the Islanders only have themselves to blame for letting this guy go. Ownership never provided him with depth to become a winner, or a building to call home. Yes I believe the fans of the NYI are a great set of fans. But everything that Tavares spoke to in his letter is the past. The Coliseum, playoff wins, players that have left, good friend Weight being fired, Snow being fired. Nothing really other then Barzel and Lee mentioned.

One thing that I believe played a huge part in him leaving, is the fact that Lou only kept Snow around until they signed Tavares. Johnny knew this. The vindictive ways of Uncle Lou was showed true colors. Why bring Snow to your pitch when you fired him and replaced him with yourself? Although I like Lou and what he did for the Toronto Maple Leafs. Sometimes he really needs to stop and think about what he is doing. Firing Weight and Snow were the wrong things to do if you wanted to keep Tavares.

Thanks for doing it though. Greatly appreciated. You can have Hunter though!!!

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I can relate to the feeling of being torn. I can't tell you how many life decisions where I've felt that I wish someone else could make the choice for me and by some grandiose means, it works itself out for better or worse. I was screaming in a Walmart when he signed with the Leafs and I'm counting down the days till October. No problem with his send-off to the Islanders fans.

I noticed he referenced himself as "pajama boy". Let that be a note that online buzzwords will eventually get back to the player. Hope he can convert some of that guilt and heartbreak into happiness and excitement. I'm optimistic!

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
I teared up a little, which cued me into the fact that Islander fans might not take kindly to the Leaf adoration. If anyone is curious what the Islander board thinks of the article, be prepared for a shit storm.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I can relate to the feeling of being torn. I can't tell you how many life decisions where I've felt that I wish someone else could make the choice for me and by some grandiose means, it works itself out for better or worse. I was screaming in a Walmart when he signed with the Leafs and I'm counting down the days till October. No problem with his send-off to the Islanders fans.

I noticed he referenced himself as "pajama boy". Let that be a note that online buzzwords will eventually get back to the player. Hope he can convert some of that guilt and heartbreak into happiness and excitement. I'm optimistic!

well i think a lot of people were tweeting that at him, so he would have seen it.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think it was heartfelt but in communications, you have to have clear goals. He should have hired a professional PR firm and if he did, he should stop payment of the cheque. The message was a bit muddled in MHO

but it's him talking to the fans. like that's the point of the players tribune. they write (or they speak and someone writes it for them). the goal was just explaining this was not easy, it's not about the fandom, and things that led up to it.
(which quite frankly, was a lot more than what I would have offered, because he did zero wrong).

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Islander fans

main-qimg-6e37ab79b35d1156c85d57320fc6a1a5-c

Sums it up, on the Islanders board a lot of them are talking about how they're planning to chant 67 at games, as if their nearly 40 year drought is any better lol. I've also been taking a glance around other boards on this topic and there are actually a ton of fanbases that are salty about the Leafs getting Tavares. There is even some very salty postings on the Penguins boards if you can believe it. Leafs sign the best Free Agent in decades and they're just pissed off lol, too funny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad