WJC: Tournament standouts and dissapointments so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
I 100% disagree with this assessment, and I will point out that many of Peterka's points have come on plays not involving Stuetzle. I find him quite noticeable, though the one thing that this forum has proven to me is that player assessment is an "eye of the beholder" type of thing. :laugh:
Since I consider him as a future NHLer, It's more related to my expectations of him. His impressive stats from this season of ICEHL force me to expect more. Sixteen points in only twelve games? Thats imposing.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Since I consider him as a future NHLer, It's more related to my expectations of him. His impressive stats from this season of ICEHL force me to expect more. Sixteen points in only twelve games? Thats imposing.
Umm... his current WJC pace projected out to 12 games would be 20. That's even more imposing. ;)

Reactions: majormajor

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
Don't get how someone could watch Peterka so far and come away disappointed. And I have high expectations too.

As for standouts; Soderblom has already been mentioned and he is a big one for me. Groshev has been great too. Berard has stood out as a guy who is really stepping up for the US.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Standouts - Soderblom for sure, Guy has been awesome.
Disappointments - I would probably go with Podkolzin and Caufield, I expected more from both so far.
Lots to go tho.

Do you guys want me to lock this thread and make a new thread? Has a lot of last year posts in this one.
Let me know.

UPDATE: HOW THINGS CHANGE! Podkolzin and Amirov are lighting it up now, Dominating.
What a turn around!

Last edited:

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
Umm... his current WJC pace projected out to 12 games would be 20. That's even more imposing. ;)
You got me.

Despite that, the greater impact on the game and more visibility is what I have found lacking in his game. As you said, Peterka can deliver points nonetheless. It's just my feeling he could do better.

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON
Caufield - after a disappointing tourney as an 18 year old, you got to expect better things from him this year. How does he not even get a point against Austria?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You got me.

Despite that, the greater impact on the game and more visibility is what I have found lacking in his game. As you said, Peterka can deliver points nonetheless. It's just my feeling he could do better.

I would disagree, even disregarding points he's been stellar. I always thought of Peterka as more of a forechecking type of guy but he has added some puck control skill it seems and ran transition for his team. He's also set up a lot of plays that his teammates failed to convert. Of all the Slovaks and Germans on the ice last night, the second best player, after Stutzle, was clearly Peterka.

Reactions: Statsy

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Standouts - Soderblom for sure, Guy has been awesome.
Disappointments - I would probably go with Podkolzin and Caufield, I expected more from both so far.
Lots to go tho.

Do you guys want me to lock this thread and make a new thread? Has a lot of last year posts in this one.
Let me know.

It makes sense to specifically update this thread for this year's tourney.

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
I dont really get the excitment for Soderblom. Theres no way any of the stuff he pulls off is ever going to work against a #6 dman in the NHL. I see a lot of might but not really the speed of execution.

Caufield is fine with me, points arent coming but does his thing, very elusive, has had his shots. Comes off as unlucky in a small sample.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Soderblom looks ok, but he looks nowhere near as dominant as another giant, Jordan Greenway, did in his WJC. Soderblom has the reach, but nowhere near the strength.

Totally different circumstance and players though. Greenway was drafted in the second round as a big, strong guy and Soderblom was a late rounder that no one really expected anything from. Soderbloms skill game looks a lot better than Greenways did at the same age while Soderbloms hands/skill look better than Greenways.

But Soderblom isnt a bully like Greenway either. He needs to put on a lot of strength because hes still weak on his feet. His hands are as soft as any big guys that has been drafted in a while though. Stick him in the minors for 3 years and buy him a squat rack and he'll look really good.

Reactions: JBeast

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
Since I haven’t watched games in group B, I evaluate only group A. From what I’ve seen so far, standouts would be Newhook, Cozens, Levi, Nemec, Niemela and Stutzle. On the other hand, I consider a bit dissapointing performances of Byfield, Peterka and Knazko.

Whoa there, it looked like you thought JJP was disappointing for a moment

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Surprises on the big-5:

Canada: Harley, Tomasino
USA: Boldy (I guess he was expected to dominate, but he's been a force so far), Faber
Russia: Groshev
Sweden: Olausson, Gunler, Soderblom
Finland: Niemela, Lambert

Reactions: MNRube and Grantham

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Zegras is the best player in the tournament. Boldy is USA's 2nd best player.

Reactions: Blue Ox

dm1371

May 29, 2010
Chicoutimi, QC
Canada

Standouts: Cozens, Tomasino, Levi
HM: Mercer, Drysdale

Disappointment: Byfield

It is early to tell though, tonight's game should give us alot more information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad