WJC: Tournament Awards and All-Star Team

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
As a Ranger fan, I have to say Kreider. This is not to take away from either Stepan or D'amigo who both had great tournaments, but the truth is that until the WJCs no one really knew much about Kreider.

The kid was in high school prep hockey last year, and he has been playing as a checking line forward at BC this year (as a 17 year old freshman). No one had any real idea what this kid's ceiling was, esp. Ranger fans.

Pretty sure Kreider is 18. He repeated a year in high school because of his switch to Andover (I think) and that's why he had to accelerate his classes in order to go to college this year.

But he did great. Now he gets to go home and go play in an outdoor game at Fenway against BU.

As for Stepan and D'Amigo...I think that they're the kind of players who compliment each other. Not many players can do it all...score at will and setup their linesmates all night. Stepan will probably need guys with him who can put in the chances he creates, and someone like D'Amigo will probably need someone to help set him up. Doesn't really mean one is so much better or so much more valuable than the other.

Though you would think that a team captain who leads his team to an upset victory over a hockey giant like Canada, and who also leads the tournament in scoring (even if he did play one more game than Eberle) would get some recognition for that other than being "one of the three best players for team USA!". He was also a +9 to Eberle's +3, indicating that he did an excellent job defensively and at scoring 5 on 5.

Eberle, though, does have great claim to the tournament MVP and all, I just wish Stepan got some recognition for what he did as well.

Sif

Jan 2, 2010
By peak performance it shouldve been Bobkov. I just dont buy it when "the best" goaltender of the tournament lets in 16 goals his last two games.

Yeah, Bobkov had that beast of a shutout vs. Finland. I think the tally for Conz last 2 games was even 17. 1-6 against Canada and 4-11 against Sweden, no?

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Yeah, Bobkov had that beast of a shutout vs. Finland. I think the tally for Conz last 2 games was even 17. 1-6 against Canada and 4-11 against Sweden, no?

yeah my mistake. I for some reason pressed a 6 instead of a 7 :P

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
Just an interesting fact: the tournament's second worst goaltender, Janis Kalnins, was also the co-leader in scoring among goaltenders, with two assists. Atleast something worked out for him. Too bad it wasn't what he was there for.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Someone explain to me how stepan didn't get the MVP of the tourney? Led the whole thing in points captained the winning team and had a big goal and assist in the gold medal game. That absurd

Canadian Homerism!

If not MVP, he should have won best forward. Not only did he march the American team into the belly of thye beast, but he also led the tourney in points. Only the third American team to make it to the Gold medal game, and the 2nd to ever win it. He sould have won either MVP or Best Forward.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
How did Petersson score the most goals in 17 years for Sweden and not be named one of their 3 best players?

kleslanashfan

Jul 21, 2009
I thought D'Amigo should have been named to the all star team instead of Niederreiter. I also thought Stepan should have gotten atleast one of best foreward or tournament MVP with Eberle getting the other. The Americans were shortchanged on the awards and I am a Canadian. Best goaltender should have been Markstrom too. The Swiss were generously treated in the awards to reward them for having such a surprise tournament, basically being held to their own standards rather than the others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad