Jerry D'Amigo (F)
Tyler Johnson (F)
Derek Stepan (F)

http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/205/IHM205000_85J_1_0.pdf

Last edited:

Energise

Mar 6, 2009
The Phog
I would not put Hall as a top 3 for Canada...but thats just me.

In the grand scheme of things...it doesn't really mean much.

Last edited:

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
Yep. People who don't believe that just need to take a look in the USA roster thread and see all the people claiming Stepan isn't a lock for the team, etc. etc. just to see how unknown he was to even USA fans except for Rangers fans or fans who follow college hockey.

People who watch a lot of the college game knew Stepan quite a bit (like myself), so it wasn't as much of a surprise. Though even I was surprised at how big of a leader he was and by him leading the tournament. I figured he'd finish top 5 in scoring, but not #1.

So is your back sore from all the patting or what???
confused.gif

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Conz getting goalie prize is all politics imo. What is it with those poor poor goalies getting consolation prizes because the team is even worse? Sweden was by far the better team, but he certainly wasn't "keeping the score down". In fact he was crap. Bobkov and Markström were the only ones I could possible see winning it looking at the whole tournament. Statistically no other starting goalie were even close. I'd probably give it to Campbell because of his successful entry in the gold medal game before Conz.

Giggli G

Sep 8, 2006
Stepan had a great performance but Eberle was certainly the most important player to his respective team. Canada would have been a crap team without him. Therefore, I think Eberle was the right choice for MVP.

The fact that USA didn't get any player awards is merely a testament to their superior overall team play.

Derick*

I think it's harder to get an assist without a goal than it is to get a goal without an assist. That's just my opinion though.

I never understood this arguement for goals being better than assists. It's not like you get assists for unassisted goals :amazed:

You really need to watch the player to know whether any particular assist is better than any particular goal. Adam Oates or Joe Thornton bounce a goal off of someone, the assist was better. Backstrom or Conroy pass it to Iginla or Ovechkin in the neutral zone, and then Iginla or Ovechkin plows through four people, the goal was worth more.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
I really think Conz is a weird selection but could be worse

My own personal awards!

MVP: Stepan
Best game: Gold Medal Game
Best goal: Tedenby vs Finland
Mr Clutch: Eberle
Best shot: Petersson
Worst Player : Rundblad
Best Surprise: Niederreiter
Most dissapointing: Hall or Kadri(and pretty much the entire swedish D)

Nice tournament and finally another winner than Canada (No offense) with the best game I have seen in a very longtime. Too bad only 3 teams showed up this time.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
I never understood this arguement for goals being better than assists. It's not like you get assists for unassisted goals :amazed:

You really need to watch the player to know whether any particular assist is better than any particular goal. Adam Oates or Joe Thornton bounce a goal off of someone, the assist was better. Backstrom or Conroy pass it to Iginla or Ovechkin in the neutral zone, and then Iginla or Ovechkin plows through four people, the goal was worth more.

It's true that some assists are more important to a goal than the shot, but I think it's fair to say this is far less frequent than the goal scorer being more valuable... particularly when there are 2 assists given. There might be a goal a game where the shot is a tap in, but there are way more assists that are just random passes that happen to lead to a goal - that's why people put more weight on goals.

AK

May 31, 2008
The only reason for D'Amigo scoring as he did was because of Stepan, TBH. D'Amigo will be a good NHLer, I think, but never THE guy. He'll always need someone to get him the puck.

Stepan is THE guy.
I absolutely loved Stepan's game in this tournament, but teenage kids are almost always impossible to project. It is way too early to suggest what he could be in the NHL. He could wind up being Chris Drury in his prime, or he could fizzle and look like Tyler Arnason.

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
Conz was the best Goalie in the tournament till the last game. His team was so tired and over matched I'm surprised he only let in 10.

Derick*

By peak performance it was Conz.

Are Eberle and Stepan competing with Hall for first overall now or no?

daethfromabove1979

Jun 20, 2006
the goaltending in this tournament was pretty average.. conz took a very bad team to a forth place finish so i think he deserved it

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
By peak performance it was Conz.

Are Eberle and Stepan competing with Hall for first overall now or no?

By peak performance it shouldve been Bobkov. I just dont buy it when "the best" goaltender of the tournament lets in 16 goals his last two games.

And Eberle and Stepan both been drafted... two years ago..

Derick*

By peak performance it shouldve been Bobkov. I just dont buy it when "the best" goaltender of the tournament lets in 16 goals his last two games.

And Eberle and Stepan both been drafted... two years ago..

Oh, uh, I knew that :blush:

cmdevisser

Apr 9, 2006
Chesapeake, Va
As a Ranger fan, I have to say Kreider. This is not to take away from either Stepan or D'amigo who both had great tournaments, but the truth is that until the WJCs no one really knew much about Kreider.

The kid was in high school prep hockey last year, and he has been playing as a checking line forward at BC this year (as a 17 year old freshman). No one had any real idea what this kid's ceiling was, esp. Ranger fans.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
I could see Eberle over Stepan for the MVP if the voting or whatever was done before the overtime period. Couldn't go wrong with either but it probably should have went to the guy on the winning team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad