MEDIA ALL-STAR TEAM

G – Benjamin Conz (SUI)
D – John Carlson (USA)
D – Alex Pietrangelo (CAN)
F – Jordan Eberle (CAN)
F – Nino Niederreiter (SUI)
F – Derek Stepan (USA)

BEST PLAYERS PER TEAM
According to their respective teams' coaches.

Austria
Dominique Heinrich (F)
Lorenz Hirn (G)
Andreas Kristler (F)

Canada
Jordan Eberle (F)
Taylor Hall (F)
Alex Pietrangelo (D)

Czech Republic
Roman Horák (F)
Tomáš Kubalík (F)
Tomáš Voráček (D)

Finland
Jani Lajunen (F)
Sami Vatanen (D)
Veli-Matti Vittasmäki (D)

Latvia
Roberts Bukarts (F)
Rolands Ķēniņš (F)
Ralfs Freibergs (D)

Russia
Igor Bobkov (G)
Maxim Chudinov (D)
Kirill Petrov (F)

Slovakia
Peter Hraško (D)
Richard Pánik (F)
Marek Viedenský (F)

Sweden
Oliver Ekman-Larsson (D)
Jacob Markström (G)
Magnus Pääjärvi-Svensson (F)

Switzerland
Benjamin Conz (G)
Nino Niederreiter (F)
Lukas Stoop (D)

U.S.
Jerry D'Amigo (F)
Tyler Johnson (F)
Derek Stepan (F)

Last edited:

Sif

Jan 2, 2010
I really thought Markstrom was a shoe in for best goaltender.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
He did the most horrible giveaway in the bronze game. Maybe that turned the boat.

On the other hand, Conz in the bronze medal game.... not so solid :), although not getting much help from his defensemen, but he made several blunders imo.

koeltrain

Oct 27, 2005
E-town
Watched a lot of Sweden, but missed the third period of the USA-Sweden game...

Markstrom was awesome and Conz never looked that great IMO. He was an alright goalie, but I felt he had average rebound control at best.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I would have gone with Fowler over Carlson, and Hamonic over Pieterangelo, but those are minor qualms. The guys who were picked had excellent tournaments. They were deserving choices, it's just I think there were a couple who were more deserving.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
lol Hall. Maybe when he could dangle the bad teams by himself. McMillan, Hamonic and Scandella not getting the nod over him from the coaching staff shows why they shouldn't be the coaching staff next season.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Stepan is easily the "break out" player of the tournament.

80% of this board never even heard of him besides Ranger fans who knew he was something special..and boy did he prove it.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Nah, it was D'Amigo. Stepan did a great job but I was blown away by D'Amigo.

The only reason for D'Amigo scoring as he did was because of Stepan, TBH. D'Amigo will be a good NHLer, I think, but never THE guy. He'll always need someone to get him the puck.

Stepan is THE guy.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
The only reason for D'Amigo scoring as he did was because of Stepan, TBH. D'Amigo will be a good NHLer, I think, but never THE guy. He'll always need someone to get him the puck.

Stepan is THE guy.

i little too early to know that :p

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head

Stepan is THE guy.
I think it's harder to get an assist without a goal than it is to get a goal without an assist. That's just my opinion though.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

Stepan is THE guy.

I'd say Stepan was the breakout USA player pretty easily, even though I think D'Amigo is a stud.

More so than anything, Stepan was pretty unknown by everyone here (including a lot of the USA Hockey followers) except for the Rangers fans. D'Amigo got himself a lot of attention by having a dominant Under 18 Championships not too long ago. I knew what D'Amigo's game was and what to expect. With Stepan, I had no idea.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I think it's harder to get an assist without a goal than it is to get a goal without an assist. That's just my opinion though.

Obviously true, but if you look how Stepan or whoever else set him up all tournament, it's clearly obvious why he was scoring when he did.

Great player, though, at this level. I think he'll be good in the NHL and make it, too. Glad to have him back next year.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I'd say Stepan was the breakout USA player pretty easily, even though I think D'Amigo is a stud.

More so than anything, Stepan was pretty unknown by everyone here (including a lot of the USA Hockey followers) except for the Rangers fans. D'Amigo got himself a lot of attention by having a dominant Under 18 Championships not too long ago. I knew what D'Amigo's game was and what to expect. With Stepan, I had no idea.

Yep. People who don't believe that just need to take a look in the USA roster thread and see all the people claiming Stepan isn't a lock for the team, etc. etc. just to see how unknown he was to even USA fans except for Rangers fans or fans who follow college hockey.

People who watch a lot of the college game knew Stepan quite a bit (like myself), so it wasn't as much of a surprise. Though even I was surprised at how big of a leader he was and by him leading the tournament. I figured he'd finish top 5 in scoring, but not #1.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Someone explain to me how stepan didn't get the MVP of the tourney? Led the whole thing in points captained the winning team and had a big goal and assist in the gold medal game. That absurd

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I watched a lot of Jamie McBain last year for the Badgers, so Stepan wasn't a foreign commodity to me either. I just really thought that the threat of D'Amigo made that line work. Nothing against Stepan, who I think is a really solid player, but the guy that "broke out" for me was the 6th round pick D'Amigo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad