WJC: Tournament Awards & All-Star Team

washcaps008*

Caps were represented well this last game.
Eakin was top guy for canada in a huge game.
Kuznetsov played awesome as did orlov considering how many minutes he played!

scream_guy3

Nov 7, 2006
Conz was robbed. Campbell had no business in the discussion. Ortio, maybe. Not Campbell.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Here's the list of the 3 Best Players from each team as selected by the coaches:

Canada

Jared Cowen
Ryan Ellis
Brayden Schenn

Czech Republic

Michal Hlinka
Jakub Jerabek
Antonin Honejsek

Finland

Sami Vatanen
Joonas Nattinen
Joni Ortio

Germany

Dominik Bittner
Corey Mapes
Marcel Noebels

Norway

Tobias Skaarberg
Andreas Stene
Jonas Oppoyen

Russia

Vladimir Tarasenko
Dmitri Shikin
Yevgeni Kuznetsov

Switzerland

Benjamin Conz
Inti Pestoni
Dario Trutmann

Slovakia

Juraj Majdan
Richard Panik
Miroslav Preisinger

Sweden

Tim Erixon
Johan Larsson
Patrick Cehlin

United States

Jack Campbell
Charlie Coyle
Jon Merrill

sag2k3

Feb 4, 2009
Goalie
Jack Campbell

Defender
Ryan Ellis

Forward
Brayden Schenn,Kuznetsov,Tarasenko. I think its impossible to choose.

scream_guy3

Nov 7, 2006
I'd love to hear an explanation for this.

I watched every single game, and only once could I say Campbell played exceptionally well (against Canada). Conz, however, put his team on his back. Routinely facing over 30 shots a game, making saves he had no business making, etc. I didn't see this from Campbell. He was solid, sure, but GOTT? Conz was robbed.

AO

Feb 7, 2007
Raleigh
Caps were represented well this last game.
Eakin was top guy for canada in a huge game.
Kuznetsov played awesome as did orlov considering how many minutes he played!

kuz and orlov are on the all tornament team despite canada beating up on weaker opponents for point totals. Good for eakin though, he's a solid player.

outofrange

Feb 6, 2007
Yeah but how much is that factored in when deciding who gets the titles?

As a Columbus fan I'm more than pleased with Johansen's production. However, I think that Schenn currently deserves the title at this point in time.

Schenn suffered a separated shoulder + had some other bumps. I don't know how he is overhyped or what more he could have done.

http://tsn.ca/world_jrs/story/?id=348167

It was disclosed after the game that Schenn played despite suffering a separated shoulder in Sunday's quarter-final win over Switzerland.

But congrats to all the kids! They all played very well.

edit: replied to the wrong guy, sorry!

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Here's the list of the 3 Best Players from each team as selected by the coaches:

Canada

Jared Cowen
Ryan Ellis
Brayden Schenn

Czech Republic

Michal Hlinka
Jakub Jerabek
Antonin Honejsek

Finland

Sami Vatanen
Joonas Nattinen
Joni Ortio

Germany

Dominik Bittner
Corey Mapes
Marcel Noebels

Norway

Tobias Skaarberg
Andreas Stene
Jonas Oppoyen

Russia

Vladimir Tarasenko
Dmitri Shikin
Yevgeni Kuznetsov

Switzerland

Benjamin Conz
Inti Pestoni
Dario Trutmann

Slovakia

Juraj Majdan
Richard Panik
Miroslav Preisinger

Sweden

Tim Erixon
Johan Larsson
Patrick Cehlin

United States

Jack Campbell
Charlie Coyle
Jon Merrill

No Frk? That was odd.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I always find the coaches top 3 one of the most interesting things to look at, because it is a very different perspective. The omission of Frk was interesting, but was probably related to his lack of discipline that frustrated his coaches (he was clearly one of their top players though).

What is also very interesting is that Orlov and Johansson were named to the tourney allstar team, but their respective coaches didn't even think they were one of their teams top 3 players.

sillygoose

Jan 15, 2009
ya cuz 1 period (albeit it cost us the game), does not take away from some amazing individual performances we had.

they voted in between the second and 3rd period. i think the outcome might have been different had they voted after the game.

Thunderhawks

Jan 5, 2011
My votes would have been (saw 11 games in 9 days):

G - Conz
D - Orlov
F - Schenn

MVP - Kuznetsov

I didn't see the US enough to comment on Campbell, but Conz and Ortio were both very solid. Conz gets the node for playing tougher games (with less in front).

Ellis was a fine choice, but I suspect if they knew the Russians would win they would have chosen Orlov. Sami Vatanen and Adam Larsson would be my 2nd team all-stars.

I think Schenn was the best player, he dictated the play when on the ice and was clearly a leader for Team Canada. He played very well at both ends.

Kuznetsov gets the MVP as he had the biggest impact on the results of the tournament. He singlehandedly beat the Finns and contributed to the tying goal vs the Swedes. He was the most dangerous Russian early in the final and picked up 3 assists in the 3rd. Tarasenko had a better 3rd period, but the other games I saw (Swe, Fin, Swe, Can) Kuznetsov had more impact.

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
ya cuz 1 period (albeit it cost us the game), does not take away from some amazing individual performances we had.

yeah... like against Sweden. Good luck overhyping your guys. Except for, perhaps, Ellis and Gudbranson this whole team is destined for switching between 3rd-4th lines and AHL. Your forwards matures very fast and I didn't see in this tournament any individual who have some actual skills. Physical play and speed is all what they brought to the ice. A bunch of Helms, Blundens, and Marchands.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Except for, perhaps, Ellis and Gudbranson this whole team is destined for switching between 3rd-4th lines and AHL.

A bunch of Helms, Blundens, and Marchands.

You honestly believe this?

You don't think guys like Schenn, Johansen, Couturier, or Connolly will be more than "3rd-4th lines and AHL"?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad