Tougher player, Laine or Matthews?

Tougher player?

• Total voters

BAM

Nov 21, 2016

Learn more about how concussions work, you don't need to get hammered to have a concussion.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Tough to tell who is tougher. Matthews seems a bit fragile though. I'll vote Laine due to Matthews fragility so far in his career.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
He wasn't the one that got knocked out on the ice after a hit[/QUOTE
Laine’s concussion, Gets absolutely crushed.
Matthews concussion, Gets tapped on the head.
Just missing that bracket at the end to fix the quote.

Last edited:

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
2 of the softest players in the league, especially considering both are huge.

But I guess Laine. I think he shys away from contact less. But it was bad that he was knocked into next week by a clean hit by McCabe

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
2 of the softest players in the league, especially considering both are huge.

But I guess Laine. I think he shys away from contact less. But it was bad that he was knocked into next week by a clean hit by McCabe

Anyone taking that suicide pass get's hammered open ice. Scheifele set him up to get decapitated.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
You are also conveniently ignoring the fact that in Matthews rookie season he played all 82 games.
I am fully aware he played 82 games. I am also fully aware how last season he became fine china and was damaged with the slightest bump. Either he was faking it, or last season he was delicate. He doesn't strike me as a guy who is going to fake injuries, so I'm assuming they were legit.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I am fully aware he played 82 games. I am also fully aware how last season he became fine china and was damaged with the slightest bump. Either he was faking it, or last season he was delicate.
Just like the way Laine got a concussion when he had his head down in his rookie season, you didn't see anyone call him fragile, fine china or delicate for the remainder of his career.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Just like the way Laine got a concussion when he had his head down in his rookie season, you didn't see anyone call him fragile, fine china or delicate for the remainder of his career.
Laine got absolutely rocked. Matthews was injured multiple times on little bumps. Big difference.

Anyways instead of this lame posting back and forth lets just settle this, you are a Matthews fan and are taking exception to someone viewing him as the more fragile of the two. I don't have a preference for either of these two players and am calling it as I see it. We can agree to disagree and move on.

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
Laine stands up for his teammates, He’s actually tried to fight a few times. For some reason nobody’s been willing so far. I know it’s kinda stupid for a star to fight but I predict this is the year.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Laine got absolutely rocked. Matthews was injured multiple times on little bumps. Big difference.

Anyways instead of this lame posting back and forth lets just settle this, you are a Matthews fan and are taking exception to someone viewing him as the more fragile of the two. I don't have a preference for either of these two players and am calling it as I see it. We can agree to disagree and move on.
With the exception of Matthews 1st and 3rd in injuries from last season, when he got his 2nd one which was a concussion after accidently colliding with Morgan Rielly, that was an accident and not a true calling of Matthews physical health.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
With the exception of Matthews 1st and 3rd in injuries from last season, when he got his 2nd one which was a concussion after accidently colliding with Morgan Rielly, that was an accident and not a true calling of Matthews physical health.

This post was unnecessary, we got the point, you disagree with me and I disagree with you. Time to move on.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Neither guy is a tough guy. And that’s fine lol.some players aren’t meant to be tough.

Between them? A wash. Maybe Laine, but we’re not talking about a huge margin here.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
So your saying you are tougher than that kid that used to punch the &$%# out of you in High School? Interesting
this isn't comparing two guys who were in a fight and one got their ass kicked. This is one guy who throws some hits sometimes, and one guy who is willing to block shots and get into the tougher scoring areas while taking punishment to a higher degree. i'd consider him tougher

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

This is what I think of every time I hear Laine’s name. Couldn’t handle a good solid check by McCabe.

I’ll take Matthews.

This is a pretty weak poll, neither are tough. Laine might have a lsight edge because he'll dish out the odd check here or there.

But your post makes no sense. Would you make the argument that certain players are tougher than Lindros because he got laid out a lot?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Laine of course is tougher.

Matthews is very soft for his size. Take a look at their career hits.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Both are Sundin like in terms of toughness for large players, but Matthews goes to dirty areas and receives more punishment despite not throwing the body much. Laine hits a bit more but overall I feel like his game is slightly less 'tough'.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Laine has actually stood up for teammates on multiple occasions in the past, has Matthews?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad