Tougher player, Laine or Matthews?

Tougher player?

• Total voters

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Laines averages a about one hit a game and, half a block a game
Matthews averages 0.25 hits a game but 0.84 blocks a game.

Neither is tough as nails type of player, but Matthews does have a power forward/grinder type element to his game.
Matthews drives hard to the net, board battles and uses his power to protect the puck so based on that i would say Matthews. But Laine can throw a occasional good hits here and there.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Neither is tough as nails type of player, but Matthews does have a power forward/grinder type element to his game.
Matthews drives hard to the net, board battles and uses his power to protect the puck so based on that i would say Matthews.
Based on those reasons it's why I would also go with Matthews.

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
Well Laine does hit occasionally and played pretty hard in the playoffs.
I don't think I've seen Matthews throw a big hit in his career so far, so it's Laine by default.
Neither is particularly tough however, so it doesn't really matter as it's not what they're about.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Laine throws more hits, Matthews blocks more shots.

Laine's offensive game is more about staying around the perimeter while Matthews likes to play more in the cycle game and around the net. So him I guess?

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
Laine hits more and blocks more shots, Matthews does nothing tough even though his nose looks like it.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

This is what I think of every time I hear Laine’s name. Couldn’t handle a good solid check by McCabe.

I’ll take Matthews.

5tzbeg.jpg

That is McCabe face after hitting Laine's chin.

Laine should have been gone for the year with that kind of hit. Any player who got hit that hard is not going up.
Laine was back on ice after a week and played shortly after.

Laine is no power forward but he can hold his own ground.

The question is who is the tougher between the 2. it's Laine.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
Matthews plays tougher competition. He plays a tougher position and plays in tougher areas on the ice.
It's Matthews.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
How the hell are we supposed to know this? Neither fight or hit a ton. I would say Laine is easily the more perimeter player considering Matthews scores 90% of his goals fighting for the puck in front of the net. However does that make one "Tougher"?

Neither are tough if you mean the Lucic mold. If you mean who is more physical I imagine Matthews is technically as he used his body more to protect pucks around the net vs Laine who usually looks for open space to get off his shot.

Either way though, this doesn't impact either player in any way when considering the level of athlete they are. It's like asking which goalie has the best shot. Both have found success with their game styles who cares if they don't go looking for Dion Phaneuf hits.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
5tzbeg.jpg

That is McCabe face after hitting Laine's chin.

Laine should have been gone for the year with that kind of hit. Any player who got hit that hard is not going up.
Laine was back on ice after a week and played shortly after.

Laine is no power forward but he can hold his own ground.

The question is who is the tougher between the 2. it's Laine.
I highly doubt that came entirely from the hit. He was mauled afterwards for throwing a good hit. Laine should keep his head up.

Still Matthews.

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
Laine throws the body around quite a bit. Matthews gets into the slot where things are pretty thick. Depends on your definition of tough really.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nizdizzle

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Laine throws the body around quite a bite. Matthews gets into the slot where things are pretty thick. Depends on your definition of tough really.
Unless Laine turns into Eric Lindros and starts steamrolling through players to get to the net and score I just don't see a massive difference between the two. Neither are fighters, but cheapshot Ehlers and you can definitely see Laine lose his temper. Personally, I'm of the who gives a shit? side. I'd rather they focus on being a better hockey player than train like Adam Sandler in the batting cages taking baseballs to the skull back in Happy Gilmore.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Nether is a gritty player but Matthews uses his size more often to his advantage - especially in terms of driving to the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad