Tough life in the Metropolitan division

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Yea the pens have done a 180 over the past two weeks. I've gone from thinking they might not have it this year to expecting to finish 2nd in the metro and gearing up for another run. The cup hangover was real and brutal this year.

Agreed. I think they were just in an early-season trance, I imagine it ain't hard to slack a bit in November after all that winning in June. Was never really under the impression that they were going to miss the playoffs or something.

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
I'm not even going to try to handicap the Metro yet. This could be something that causes the NHL to re-examine the wild-card picture after the season to have 4 wild cards and only 1 and 2 in each division to be guaranteed a spot. A good team in the Metro will miss the playoffs.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Its a bit of a weird year because the Pens were sleepwalking for half a season and Columbus for one reason or other have not been able to build on what they did last year (injuries being part of it of course). Other than that as everyone knew, the previous bottom dwellers in the division got significantly better and thus we see a lot of parity.

We don't see much greatness though, and while points wise the difference isn't very big between the Central and Metro, scoring differentials underline that there has been a pretty big difference in quality this season.

Lucky for the Pens that there is this much parity in the Metro and this much suckage in the Atlantic in a year where we have been the worst team in the league ES until very recently (the worst... bizarre). Could have had a real hole to dig out from.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Central has a lot of solid teams, but none that are truly great. I'd be surprised if a central team won the cup.

Nashville and St.Louis look like they could beat any metro team on top of every central team having a winning record against the mighty metropolitian :eyeroll:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
It's almost like counting out the two-time defending Stanley Cup Champions who have unfair top-end talent half way through the season when they were never really out of it was foolish. As for me, I already know what's coming... Pens / Caps, 2nd round, ending with me crying quietly in the corner.

Reactions: Devil Dancer

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
Nashville and St.Louis look like they could beat any metro team on top of every central team having a winning record against the mighty metropolitian :eyeroll:
I'd be careful w/the unwarranted sarcasm.
Tell us, after the vainglorious 7 team Central, :innocent: which is the best division?

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
It's almost like counting out the two-time defending Stanley Cup Champions who have unfair top-end talent half way through the season when they were never really out of it was foolish. As for me, I already know what's coming... Pens / Caps, 2nd round, ending with me crying quietly in the corner.
No fn way. We are not losing to the Pens. Anyone but the Pens.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I'm not even going to try to handicap the Metro yet. This could be something that causes the NHL to re-examine the wild-card picture after the season to have 4 wild cards and only 1 and 2 in each division to be guaranteed a spot. A good team in the Metro will miss the playoffs.

So not so much the wild card format itself, but maybe re-examine the schedule so that more Metro teams can play more bad Atlantic teams? Because right now there are 3 Atlantic teams ahead of all but 2 Metro teams in points%. At least one Metro team is out of the top 8 right now no matter how you slice it. One good Metro team would miss the playoffs in the current format, your proposed format, or the previous format.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Saying the Atlantic is a joke is false when ppl ignore 3 of the top 4 are from them, that is my point. Proper way is to say it is the bottom 5 of the Atlantic are bad. Or is it the metro is just mediocre, other then the Caps. The Rangers and Pens are 6 pts behind Boston and the Bruins have 2 and 4 games in hand and the ROW tie breaker should fall to them if they win those games in hand.They already have it over everyone except the Caps and are tied with the Pens in the ROW.

Perhaps those teams catch the Leafs. Bruins are looking at taking over the Caps or Jets if everything goes well and be top 5 in the league, they are 6th right now. Columbus are 2 behind the Bruins and played 5 more games, maybe that was the joke. Devils are closer in perspective. Caps are the only team in the Metro that may make noise. It is far fetched but the Bruins are 10 behind Tampa with 3 games in hand and they play each other 2 more times. With Hedman out 4 to 6 weeks it should be interesting. The Metro should have 5 teams in that is a given, unless something crazy happens.

Why is it that Boston fan always has to come into the Metro threads and start thumping their chests?

As has been stated many times, there are some serious advantages to having 5 bad teams in your division when it comes to standings points. Not only do the top 3 teams have zero competition for their playoff berths, they also get to fatten up their overall records as well.

We will see how it all shakes out in the end....but if Boston fan is going to toot about Games in Hand, then New Jersey fan can do the same. That said, be careful what you wish for. GIH at this point simply means more B2B’s in coming, which never helps a team.

Far as the Metro standings? Wash and Pitt will probably be 1/2 (not necessarily in that order either). Then really any of the 6 teams can make it. Isles seems to be in the worst spot simply due to their Blueline injuries. Flyers are being ignored here by a lot of posters, and that is probably unfair.

By balance, the Jackets and Rangers have the least amount of glaring holes of the 6, so I’d wager they make it. Then it’s a race between Philly, NJD, NYI, and the Canes. Who knows?

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
I'd be careful w/the unwarranted sarcasm.
Tell us, after the vainglorious 7 team Central, :innocent: which is the best division?

You could take out the worst metro team all you want, doesnt take away the fact that 6th and 7th in the central would be in the wild card for the east as of now

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
The Metro is good and close, 11 pts from 1st to last in the division, but a negative 9 goal difference

The Central is 9 points from 1st to last and a positive ONE HUNDRED AND TWO goal difference.

That division is clearly the best.

Last edited:

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
If the Devils win their games in hand, they are right back in the hunt for first place. If they win their games in and AND beat the Caps tomorrow (they won't) then they will be in first place. It's a crazy division. We had a six game losing streak and seem to have survived it as far as positioning goes. Crazy that the Devils are one point ahead of third place Columbus with THREE games in hand.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
If the Devils win their games in hand, they are right back in the hunt for first place. If they win their games in and AND beat the Caps tomorrow (they won't) then they will be in first place. It's a crazy division. We had a six game losing streak and seem to have survived it as far as positioning goes. Crazy that the Devils are one point ahead of third place Columbus with THREE games in hand.

I think the Devils win tomorrow. The Caps are notoriously awful after long breaks.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
It seems like Washington New Jersey and. Columbus have the top 3 seeds locked up. The two wild cards are wild however.

Individual 1

Jan 25, 2012
It seems like Washington New Jersey and. Columbus have the top 3 seeds locked up. The two wild cards are wild however.
Columbus has 2 more points than Pittsburgh and the Rangers who have a game in hand. The Islanders are only 3 points back of Columbus.

Columbus plays Dallas, and Vegas the next 2 games they could very easily lose both.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

SN-SCF-GM6-01-640x360.jpg

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Flyers would be the first team in NHL history to win 10 in a row and miss the playoffs - then the following year lose 10 in a row but make the playoffs.

Such a weird team lol

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes