total new guy.. specific stick question

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
ive been playing for about 2 months. I originaly bought a sher-wood flex 85.. she's a fine stick for me. But ive been messing around with some of the composites laying around and i decided i wanted to get one. my shot needs all the help it can get

once i got to the store.. unfortunately i was in a rush and they where busy. I ended up picking out my own stick

:shakehead

i bought a easton eq 40

much to my dismay when i got home.... the stick felt stiffer then in the store... like i said i was in a hurry and picking a lot up and putting them back.. then picking them back up

so 15 minutes of research later i realize i picked up a 100 flex rated stick... who knew :sarcasm:

so my question... as a new player is it better to learn with a stiffer stick? this 100 composite still seems to have more flex then my wood stick. should i stick with the stiffer stick or take it back

and if i take it back should i get a different stick? it was on sale, was there a reason? i have not read any reviews i really trust

thank you for any help... do to scheduling im actually headed back to Columbus tomorrow morning.. so im trying to figure out what to do quickly so i thought id ask.. thank you

nullterm

Dec 8, 2007
Port Moody, BC
No, stick with an 85. Maybe even try an intermediate 70 flex. Depends on what you feel comfortable with.

Only reason you should try a 100 would be if you're bigger, stronger, and/or have developed the right technique where you can actually get the benefit for a stronger flex.

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
thank you for the advice..

im just looking for reasons to not have to drive back. But it needs to be done.. i even toyed with the rationalization that maybe since it was stiffer it wouldnt break like i have seen some of the guys sticks do

the other thing i noticed was it was made in china...

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
How much do you weigh? A good rule of thumb to start off with is to take your weight (pounds obv) and divide by half to get your flex rating to start off. If you find that 100 is too stiff, move down to an 85/87 and if you find that too stiff, try 75/77 (not 70 flex intermediate; that's only available on some Warrior sticks, and INT sticks have smaller shafts and are shorter).

Almost everything is MiC...or Mexico

DJnet65

Aug 29, 2005
San Jose, CA
The unfortunate reality is for a new player it will take you several sticks until you find what you like in a stick.

It will be basically trial and error on what length, lie, flex, blade curve, open/closed face, grip until you know what kind of a tick you prefer.

I wouldn't recommend buying the more pricier sticks until you have a good handle on this.

Alot of this is preference.

Generally for new players you should start with a more flexible stick until you get stronger on your skates.

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
i ended up getting the same type of stick just with the 85 of flex and a nice curve on it.

it is hard to get a feel for what i want/need really..... its one of those things you dont realize watching hockey.... but when you start wanting to try new sticks and curves, you gotta pull out the cash to try it... unlike the pro's or what ever that can just pick up and go. try this guys stick, or that guys curve. Im reluctant to ask the people ive been playing with to try their stick during a game... i would hate to of broken somebody elses equipment

i wanted to stay with my wood stick... but the more i used it, the more i could feel the stiffness and weight. my goal when i bought it a couple months ago was to use it until i "could" feel the difference and the need to upgrade. not just the desire

i didnt plan on buying a over 100 dollar stick... but i did one of those cost analysis you do in stores... with a $150 on sale for 125... i thought jeesh, i could get this ok stick for $80.. or take advantage of this sale, and pay a little bit more now but hopefully enjoy the higher end piece of equipment later.. I just kept thinking... if i buy this $80 stick now, in 4 months im going to be wanting to upgrade again.

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
5'7 or 5'8

probably somewhere aroun 175lbs ive lost some weight since playing so im not really sure what i weigh now

why, you thinking about asking me on a date? :)

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
5'7 or 5'8

probably somewhere aroun 175lbs ive lost some weight since playing so im not really sure what i weigh now

why, you thinking about asking me on a date? :)

I'm betting there's no way a beginner a hockey with a 100 flex stick cut to 5'8 height (probably around 120 to that point) can flex that stick during a shot while skating.

I would say take it back if you haven't used it.

Edit: NM I see you already did that lol.

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
i cant wait to try it out on the ice

ive been messing around on the smooth floor with a puck lightly... im hitting laundry baskets like a pro

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
i cant wait to try it out on the ice

ive been messing around on the smooth floor with a puck lightly... im hitting laundry baskets like a pro

in all honesty, being a beginner at your height/weight, you should really be getting a 75 flex or even an intermediate 70 flex stick. you have to realize that when you cut the stick down for your height(likely anywhere from 4-6 inches off a sr. 60" stick, if not more), the flex gets progressively stiffer. so an 85 flex sr. would actually be playing closer to a 100+ flex when cut down. when starting with a sr. 75, the flex would still be 85-95 at least when cut down...

just fyi...

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
im going to try to pay attention and see how much trouble the longer stick causes me tonight

but i cant imagine cutting mroe then a inch off of it

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
im going to try to pay attention and see how much trouble the longer stick causes me tonight

but i cant imagine cutting mroe then a inch off of it

If you're 5'7"-5'8" you should be cutting off a MINIMUM of 3" or so off a 60" sr. stick. The general rule of thumb is for the stick to be anywhere from your nose to your chin standing barefoot with stick standing straight up. Another common noob mistake.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I ask height because that's by far the biggest factor in determining your stick flex. At 5'9 if you're above average strength, 75 flex would be a good fit. 85 flex would be good if you've got pro level mechanics and strength. 100 flex...well at that point stick flex isn't going to matter and my guess is you'll either develop elbow or wrist pain or else lose a lot of power on your shot. Unless you don't cut the stick, as you say you do...in which case your puck handling, skating, and potentially shot will suffer.

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
If you're 5'7"-5'8" you should be cutting off a MINIMUM of 3" or so off a 60" sr. stick. The general rule of thumb is for the stick to be anywhere from your nose to your chin standing barefoot with stick standing straight up. Another common noob mistake.

butt of the stick on the ground...

and the heel of the stick is what i should be measuring off of? or should i be measuring off of the highest point of the curve against my lip area?

my mechanics are horrible, not because i have bad habits, i just have to practice with repition doing it correctly. the puck comes off my wood stick usually going end over end instead of a tight spiral... ive been picking the high school kids heads for tips in between shifts. im strong enough to have a nice shot... its just not coming along as fast as my skating did

they suggested the composite with a curve to help me a little.... i have no dreams of grandjure.. im very aware of where im at... knowing how much i need to progress... my goal with the stick is to just give me as much help as possible.

i can see where my left elbow is way to flexed holding the long stick..... thank you for pointing this issue out guys

Last edited:

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
butt of the stick on the ground...

and the heel of the stick is what i should be measuring off of? or should i be measuring off of the highest point of the curve against my lip area?

my mechanics are horrible, not because i have bad habits, i just have to practice with repition doing it correctly. the puck comes off my wood stick usually going end over end instead of a tight spiral... ive been picking the high school kids heads for tips in between shifts. im strong enough to have a nice shot... its just not coming along as fast as my skating did

they suggested the composite with a curve to help me a little.... i have no dreams of grandjure.. im very aware of where im at... knowing how much i need to progress... my goal with the stick is to just give me as much help as possible.

i can see where my left elbow is way to flexed holding the long stick..... thank you for pointing this issue out guys

stand the stick straight up with the tip of the blade's toe touching the ground...the shaft should be perfectly vertical. the butt end of your stick in this position should come up to anywhere between your nose to chin...some even like it shorter...that's something you're gonna need to experiment with. but I can tell you right now, if you're only cutting an inch or so off a sr stick at your height, the stick is entirely too long.

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
looking at it this way the wood stick is a touch to long also

mmmm to late to bust out the power tools tonight... I guess ill play with woody again tonight... then tomorrow at work ill bust out some saws

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
At your height, weight and experience level, I'd probably suggest a 70ish flex intermediate, or maybe a 75ish flex senior. You would have got zero flex out of the 100 flex stick, and honestly you likely won't be getting much flex at all out of that 85 flex either, especially since your technique is gonna be pretty basic. As you get more experienced, and REALLY learn how to get your weight into a shot, you may want to move up from an intermediate to a 75 flex senior, or from a 75 flex senior to an 85 flex senior, but you many experienced players just stick with whippy sticks (myself included, I'm 6' tall, 185 lbs, reasonably strong, have been playing hockey for 17 years, and still shoot best with a 75 flex senior).

As for stick height, stock length or just 1" off is way too long for you, follow the adice of other posters like Jarick and thedonger - a good rule of thumb is indeed to have the stick cut to somewhere between your nose and your chin, though some guys like them a bit longer or a bit shorter than that. This is when you're in bare feet, looking straight forward, with the stick standing vertically (resting on it's toe). Measuring the same way, but on your skates, that translates to roughly between your chin and your collar bone.

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
ok just lobbed about 4.5 inches off this sucker. ill admit, it was strange feeling dropping 125 bones on something, only to throw it in the table clamp and tear into it with a saws-all

my eye says its to short... which probably means its a good size

i left it at the top end of the range you guys advised on.... cant wait to try her out tonight

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
ok just lobbed about 4.5 inches off this sucker. ill admit, it was strange feeling dropping 125 bones on something, only to throw it in the table clamp and tear into it with a saws-all

my eye says its to short... which probably means its a good size

i left it at the top end of the range you guys advised on.... cant wait to try her out tonight
Glad you took the plunge, and don't worry, virtually everyone who buys a stick cuts it down to some extent. Give it a few games, it might take some time to adjust to the new length, but once you do it should work great for you. Sounds like you had your stick at roughly forehead height (in bare feet) before? That's way too long for 99% of players.

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
composite stick was as tall as me

wood stick is forhead

took the composite down to just a touch above the nose... deliberatly leaving it a touch long so i have more room to tweak.. there was a range drawn out on the handle... i assume that is the recommended area of cutting without ruinning the flex... right now its on the inside of minimum line. but i did notice the stick stiffened up

last night i noticed i was choking up on my wood stick.... i have a big grip tapped out... so without even realizing it ive been compensating for the long stick

i think im going to take a little off the wood.. then take them both tonight it see if a i can tell a difference

ive had some problem missing some pucks that i feel like i had eyed and timed up right, but im barely missing them.... im forming a theory that my hands moving on my stick more then i realize, causing me to be swinging at different lengths

i also have developped a sore top of my left (off) hand. like a tendon thing.. again.. im thinking long stick related

does that make sense?

thanks for the help

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad