total new guy.. specific stick question

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
top.. in between my wrist and knuckles.. hurts when i grip sometimes or roll the stick only using my left (top) hand

goes away after a couple days..

after going from no activity to what ive been doing... im, 32, it being my only "ache" i didnt think much about it.. its more of a hurt then a injured thing

but someone mentioned using the wrong stick causing sore elbows and stuff. it got my attention

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Yes that could be it.

When I first started and got a composite, it was an 87 flex Vapor XX. Those were fairly stiff. I'm 5'8 and had to cut it down 6", so it was about 110-115 flex when I was done with it.

I remember practicing slappers and getting some pain in my top hand at the base of my thumb and in my wrist. Eventually I got severe tennis elbow and had to stop playing for a few weeks. That's when I learned about stiff sticks causing pain.

Since then I've gone between 65-75 flex (between 75 and 95 cut down) and haven't had any pain at all.

What happens is this: when you shoot a puck, you're transferring your forward momentum and all your strength down into your arms, into the stick, and then into the puck. If your stick is too stiff, it won't flex and store the energy, so some of the energy will go into the puck and some will go back into your wrists, elbows, etc.

Also when I was using sticks that were almost up to my nose, I had to bend my top hand in order to keep the blade flat on the ice while playing and developed a massive (and disgusting) ganglion cyst. Chopped the sticks down a couple inches, it went away and haven't seen it in years.

Your body's pretty good at telling you when you're screwing up!

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
4 words

short stick... im loving it

ok 5 words

immediate benefit to

stick handling
receiving passes
back hand clearing attempts
attempted tips

and

my hand dont hurt

the stick does feel stiffer. i can get it to flex a little bit when i get a real nice shot off.. ive actually become quite freindly with our goalie... he complimented me during warm ups and after the game on a couple shots i had during the game.. so he noticed and i blushed

thanks for all the help guys

Last edited:

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Glad it's working for you! I'm a big fan of at least semi-short sticks too (for myself I've settled on around collar bone length in skates after trying both longer and shorter). Bet you now won't be able to resist trying to find that perfect length, cutting off 0.5-1" or so at time, liking it more and more until you go too far and have to add an end plug :) Only way to find the perfect stick length for yourself though, and end plugs are fine.

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
just wanted to give a month later follow up and thanks

im currently riding a two game scroring streak going into tonight.. the sticks been great, all is well

im just working on getting my footwork down on the ice and my shots right there.

i got a practice net and pad.. i can get some nice flex on the stick and get some real torque, but im loosing some of that on the ice when my drive foot is sliding

but that another issue, thanks for all the stick help.. mine and my sons games have been improved

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->