Dreger: Torts didnt get brought in for a rebuild. Expect Flyers and Fletcher to "Swing for the Fences" with trades.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Always shocks me that every cup winner from recent history was like:

Bad for half a decade.
Collected a bunch of top 10 picks.
Was bad some more, got some more highly rated prospects.
Made a couple savvy trades once their core was built.

Meanwhile you have these GMs going out and trying to reshape their entire roster with "swing for the fences" moves.
Like, St Louis got away with it because of ROR now every f***ing GM thinks they have the recipe.

STL also got super lucky with a hot goalie and had a good existing core. ROR was the final piece in a way.

Sorry, not sorry, Flyers fans

Couldn't of happened to a nicer fan base :sarcasm:

This tells me a few things.
1) Johnny Gaudreau would be a fool to sign in Calgary before he hears what Philly has to offer him.
2) Philly isn't interested in a rebuild, so at best they are going to spend themselves into the middle of the pack for eternity, and at worst they are going to burn futures hoping to get better and still end up rebuilding.

Its hilarious because trading a franchise stalwart is the perfect way to kick start a rebuild. But no, lets mortgage the future.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
I figure JVR has to go the other way. I think @rt mentioned 5th/jvr for Chychrun would be suitable from him. I don’t know how other coyotes / flyers fans feel about it.
I could see that. The name of the game for the coyotes is draft capital and near-ready prospects. If the Flyers trade Provorov and replace him with Chychrun retained 25-50%, that along with sending JVR our way gives them a good amount of cap savings for Free Agency, as I think rt has previously noted.

Chychrun (50%) + Fischer

for

5th + JVR + Frost

I think alot of this is predicated on Provorov being shipped out, which I'm not sure happens.

Reactions: SnS

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
I could see that. The name of the game for the coyotes is draft capital and near-ready prospects. If the Flyers trade Provorov and replace him with Chychrun retained 25-50%, that along with sending JVR our way gives them a good amount of cap savings for Free Agency, as I think rt has previously noted.

Chychrun (50%) + Fischer

for

5th + JVR + Frost

I think alot of this is predicated on Provorov being shipped out, which I'm not sure happens.

I don’t know much about Fischer, but if he can’t play center. It likely won’t work.

I think Provo is traded first from the Flyers, personally.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Chychrun (50%) + Fischer

for

5th + JVR + Frost

Does Provorov land JT Miller?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I figure JVR has to go the other way. I think @rt mentioned 5th/jvr for Chychrun would be suitable from him. I don’t know how other coyotes / flyers fans feel about it.
I would do JvR and 5th for Chychrun. I might even retain 25% but with OEL retained long-term, that’s a little tougher to stomach than it ought to be.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Indeed you did. Was aiming for those who said it was impossible no matter what they were about to do in the off-season because Fletcher is an idiot.

i can see both Wsh and Pit going down, not to the bottom but down.

Fedotov is huge wildcard for Flyers imo. Plus new coach. Ellis also big part of solution.

All CF transactions since he took over. He had a very bad week mid-July thats for sure.

voracek was replaced by Atkinson. Giroux will be missed.
Fletcher is not a complete idiot but he will over pay for a player he wants. He also will sell players at their lowest value far too often.

He has the draft, smraft type of attitude his father had so the 5thOA is as good as gone.

I agree both Pti and Wash are trending down but both can improve with a great summer. no guarantee they keep dropping.

I honestly have not seen Fedotov play. Once Yeo took over I could not watch that hockey. Nothing worse than watching a team of Yeobots out there. That is the worst hockey the Flyers have ever played.

Ellis does need to get healthy. Not sure his body is going to let him. He was showing signs of breaking down in Nashville 2 seasons before the trade. Acquiring a veteran Dman or two that can play up in the lineup seems pretty critical along with adding two 1st line forwards.

In the end I don't believe CF is the right GM to be pulling the trigger as he entire body of work since being a GM in the league leaves a lot to be desired.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Here's what I don't get...

Philadelphia was the worst team in their division last year.

They were 39 points out of a playoff spot. That's 20 regulation losses turned into wins.

They're in a division with Carolina, who just put 116 points and the New York Rangers who just put up 110. Both teams are younger at the tops of their lineups.

Sure, the glory days may be behind the Penguins, Capitals, and Islanders, but there's a long way to fall and a long way to go before Philly is ready for prime time.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina

They were 39 points out of a playoff spot. That's 20 regulation losses turned into wins.

They're in a division with Carolina, who just put 116 points and the New York Rangers who just put up 110. Both teams are younger at the tops of their lineups.

Sure, the glory days may be behind the Penguins, Capitals, and Islanders, but there's a long way to fall and a long way to go before Philly is ready for prime time.
Because ownership doesn’t believe in rebuilding.

pooch

May 30, 2017

As Flyers fans, we dont get it either. Most of us don't want to go in this direction, or if we did, we wouldn't want this group of morons leading the charge.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Could Petry be a fit, as well ? He's perfect for a win-now team, and the Habs need a positive return but they are basically a tire fire so position isn't critical - offer us another young D and we'll take him even though we have a lot of youth and talent there.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Could Petry be a fit, as well ? He's perfect for a win-now team, and the Habs need a positive return but they are basically a tire fire so position isn't critical - offer us another young D and we'll take him even though we have a lot of youth and talent there.

I think Philly, for better or worse, is set at RD with Ellis and Ristolainen.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Does Provorov land JT Miller?

I'd certainly think something could be worked out there.

I think it'd have to be a situation where Philly have been given the green light to talk with JT Miller's camp and feel confident that they've more or less got a "deal in principle" worked out extension-wise. But i don't see any issues with that, and at that point, i can see it working for both sides.

Vancouver fans will obviously gripe that it's another LHD and they really need a RHD with Hughes+OEL already in the fold, but in terms of getting "quality" for a Miller trade, it's going to be hard to do much better than Provorov's upside. It's either someone like that for Miller, or more of a "quantity" package of lesser assets (which i'm not as partial to). And in terms of Philly's end, as long as they can get that extension in place, you're not going to get more "quality" in return for Provorov than someone like Miller, as a versatile top line caliber power forward.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think Philly, for better or worse, is set at RD with Ellis and Ristolainen.

Yeah. I'm not sure it's really a good duo, but both Ellis and Ristolainen are guys that have specifically been targeted and brought in by this current regime. Risto may not be as good as Fletcher thinks he is, and Ellis may not be as healthy as desired...but i think they've made it pretty clear that in their minds, these are a 1-2 RHD that they are committed to and want to move forward with. :dunno:

Reactions: pth2

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Unless Ellis is moved or they cut their disaster move with Risto. Petry has no spot on the Flyers.

I can't imagine that Philly will move Ellis when his value is so much lower than it was when they acquired him due to not being healthy and Philly is clearly all-in on Ristolainen.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Oh, I agree 100%. There were rumblings Ellis wasn’t happy here but I don’t think anything was ever confirmed.

Even if he wasn't happy, he's a 31 year old undersized D-man with 5 more years on his contract who played half the season last season and only 4 games this season. Philly isn't going to move him because he's unhappy unless it makes sense for them and no team is going to make an offer that makes sense until Ellis can show that he can stay healthy.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
Even if he wasn't happy, he's a 31 year old undersized D-man with 5 more years on his contract who played half the season last season and only 4 games this season. Philly isn't going to move him because he's unhappy unless it makes sense for them and no team is going to make an offer that makes sense until Ellis can show that he can stay healthy.

No disagreements here. I hope the flyers are even more of an abomination this coming year.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
No disagreements here. I hope the flyers are even more of an abomination this coming year.

I actually think they'll be quite a bit better. Couturier and Ellis will probably play more than 4 games, they're going to be aggressive in improving the roster and you'd expect continued improvement from Hart.

Whether that's the correct path for them is another story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad