Tortorella is a Problem, Part II

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I mean, the only issue I can think of - if they hired Travis... darn, what is it.. anyway if they hired him - is that if the want to surround him with more experienced coaches, those guys might be green with envy.

Could you be talking about Travis _Green_? :laugh: That's the guy I think... Could be wrong...

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I mean, the only issue I can think of - if they hired Travis... darn, what is it.. anyway if they hired him - is that if the want to surround him with more experienced coaches, those guys might be green with envy.

I have no idea who you're on about. Who is this guy?

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Travis Green.

He's well regarded for sure, but really, well, green...

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Travis Green.

He's well regarded for sure, but really, well, green...

Darn, didn't think I'd need the sarcasm emoticon. :p:

On that front however it would be interesting if they did bring him in, because I thought the intention with such a green bench boss was to let him take root in Utica for a while and allow for some continuity in the minors. It would be beneficial to have someone who can track the young guys' progress year-to-year and grow with the team. You know, prune bad habits that some prospects carry over from junior.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
I don't like the idea of building a team around a coach i believe a skilled professional coach should be able to adjust and coach the players he has in the best way possible. AV got us to the playoffs in 07 playing a defensive style with no offense to work with, then coached us to a cup final with a very skilled offensive minded team. IMO thats a good coach. If Torts can only coach one way he's not the right guy.

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
I don't like the idea of building a team around a coach i believe a skilled professional coach should be able to adjust and coach the players he has in the best way possible. AV got us to the playoffs in 07 playing a defensive style with no offense to work with, then coached us to a cup final with a very skilled offensive minded team. IMO thats a good coach. If Torts can only coach one way he's not the right guy.

Torts has proven since about 2008 he only coaches one way.

FAMOUSfin

Oct 11, 2011
I think Torts is pretty set with the style of hockey that won him a Cup back in the dead puck era. The game has changed. Torts hasn't.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
we need a coach that can implement a 4 line system effectively. All the top teams roll 4 lines where the 4rth line plays an effective attack role. His method of overplaying top lines and using the lower lines as punishment lines is antiquated I think. So far, I don't see anything from Torts that would suggest that he's changed his outlook

FAMOUSfin

Oct 11, 2011
And what style was that?

Agressive 2-1-2 forecheck and pinching. Pulling forwards out of position to make quick transition breakout plays so that they can play safeguard instead as well as block shots. Torts' system de-emphasizes play in the neutral zone in order to emphasize play in the offensive and defensive zones. This might have worked in the dead puck era when clutching/grabbing/two-line pass offsides would have slowed down play through the neutral zone but his system is a bad match for today's game where possibilities in the neutral zone are more threatening.

You see it when the forecheck/pinching is ineffective in either turning the puck over or slowing down the breakout: easy controlled entry into our own zone and odd man chances against. I have no qualms with aggressive pinching. I think this team should play that way. The 2-1-2 on the other hand has been effective against some teams and god awful against others. The teams CORSI is down from last year so I'm not sold on it's ability to retrieve/turn over more pucks than playing a 1-2-2 and trying to cause more turnovers in the neutral zone. It could also be that AV's system had them breaking out more effectively so I'm kind of ambivalent about the forecheck.

So CORSI is down, FENWICK is up. I attribute this mostly to defensive zone play. FENWICK is up because the team is blocking more shots and playing safeguard. CORSI is down because the team is too busy blocking shots and playing safeguard to set up quick breakouts.

bsjezz

Nov 28, 2011
Agressive 2-1-2 forecheck and pinching. Pulling forwards out of position to make quick transition breakout plays so that they can play safeguard instead as well as block shots. Torts' system de-emphasizes play in the neutral zone in order to emphasize play in the offensive and defensive zones. This might have worked in the dead puck era when clutching/grabbing/two-line pass offsides would have slowed down play through the neutral zone but his system is a bad match for today's game where possibilities in the neutral zone are more threatening.

You see it when the forecheck/pinching is ineffective in either turning the puck over or slowing down the breakout: easy controlled entry into our own zone and odd man chances against. I have no qualms with aggressive pinching. I think this team should play that way. The 2-1-2 on the other hand has been effective against some teams and god awful against others. The teams CORSI is down from last year so I'm not sold on it's ability to retrieve/turn over more pucks than playing a 1-2-2 and trying to cause more turnovers in the neutral zone. It could also be that AV's system had them breaking out more effectively so I'm kind of ambivalent about the forecheck.

So CORSI is down, FENWICK is up. I attribute this mostly to defensive zone play. FENWICK is up because the team is blocking more shots and playing safeguard. CORSI is down because the team is too busy blocking shots and playing safeguard to set up quick breakouts.

great post - thanks for this analysis. it makes a lot of sense to me.

FAMOUSfin

Oct 11, 2011

Doing a bit of math to adjust for the fact that the current team is playing higher event hockey this season than last. Seems that there has been an increase to FENWICK-FOR even to the decrease in FENWICK-AGAINST. So looks like there's something they're doing on offense which is contributing to the FENWICK% increase.

Type Not Specified

Part of the process
Oct 1, 2010
Vancouver

AV's system unquestionably had us breaking out more effectively. Our breakouts have been a problem this year and Torts seems to like to dump the puck in and rely on an aggressive forecheck to get offensive zone pressure and scoring chances, but as mentioned his forechecking system has not worked well for us overall. I think we're better suited to a 1-2-2 forecheck and an emphasis on puck possession and quick transitions, and I think in general the 2-1-2 has become less and less effective as the game has evolved. We have certain players who could probably have decent success with a dump-and-chase 2-1-2 strategy if they executed it properly, but the team is really built around Sedins and that strategy doesn't play to their strengths at all.

Last edited:

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Interesting talk on the Moj show two nights ago. A lawyer phoned in and pretty much said he thinks Torts violated his contract by storming the Calgary dressing room, and knowing the Aqulinii's penchant towards litigation- he'd be surprised if Torterella saw a dime of the money he's owed after he's gassed.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004

No, I was asking what style he coached when he won a cup, not what he currently coaches now.

Flash Walken

May 10, 2005
Vancouver
Interesting talk on the Moj show two nights ago. A lawyer phoned in and pretty much said he thinks Torts violated his contract by storming the Calgary dressing room, and knowing the Aqulinii's penchant towards litigation- he'd be surprised if Torterella saw a dime of the money he's owed after he's gassed.

Morality clause?

I've never seen a coaches contract, but what clause could it be?

Wetcoaster, paging wetcoaster.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Morality clause?

I've never seen a coaches contract, but what clause could it be?

Wetcoaster, paging wetcoaster.

Apparently many of these contracts carry language against embarrassing the team, franchise and brand.

I would say push come to shove I've seen the Aquilini's in court for less.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad