Post-Game Talk: Toronto vs Canadiens pre-season game opener!

Status
Not open for further replies.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
Not only that, but why not Flash-DD-Kassian.

20110730-013615-g.jpg

turbodragon

Jan 24, 2014
Tinordi was alright for most of the game, but he made a few mistakes, and that's what tends to get noticed, hence the backlash against him today. For now, I'm ready to write it off on not having played in a while, but if he keeps making mistakes like these regularly, he won't play in the NHL for long.

What would be best for him would be to have to fill in for an injury. If he could get 20 guaranteed games, it just might make him more at ease. If his decision making improves, he could be quite good for us. His skating is really smooth for his size.

rumple03

Oct 1, 2008
Hehe, not hard to tell hockey is back. Hab's board already giving up on players and complaining about vets after 1 meaningless preseason game.

I was able to watch the 1st and 2nd periods, took it for what it was, a warm up for vets and a chance for guys trying to make the cut to give management some extra looks.

Someone mentioned about Pleks lack of effort and leadership in a preseason game. Honestly I think that is a bit of a ridiculous expectation from the vets in preseason. The purpose of preseason for them is for warmup and prep for the real season, which is long and physically demanding. Expecting the vets to play a preseason game and go anything over 70% effort is setting yourself up to be disappointed. It's not worth risking injury and I'd rather them save all that muster for when it counts.

If the young players need a vet to lead by on ice example in a preseason game in order for them to work their buts off for a spot on the team, then those young guys are not ready for the NHL anyway.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
So Therrien still isn't smart enough to use his kids in this pre season skate? Vets in the OT? What a tool.

They had what, 20 seconds in OT?

If anything is dumb it's that the refs stopped the OT after the goal, I thought they were playing 3 on 3 no matter the score. The game ended without any 3 on 3...stupidness.

The 3 on 3 is not for the kids, it should be for veterans to get used to it because it will cost or gain points in the standings. The AHL guys will see it in the AHL and the ones that played there last year already saw it first hand.

He was ok on the physical and defensive part of the game.

He has a mountain to climb with the puck on his stick though.

At this point he'll be either traded, waived or press-boxed. From what I seen so far this year, my playing order would be:
Subban (Need to see in pre-season, saw only scrimmages)
Markov (Need to see in pre-season, saw only scrimmages)
Petry
Emelin
Beaulieu (Need to see in pre-season, saw only scrimmages)
Pateryn
Gilbert (Need to see in pre-season, saw only scrimmages)
Barberio
Dietz
Tinordi

I hope he can fix himself before the end of training camp.

He's already ahead of Dietz and Berberio and played better and more than them.

Unless the make a trade I think everybody but Markov Subban and Petry will see games in the press box. MB would have to be an idiot to waive Tinordi.

The biggest disappointment to me in this game was by far Ghetto. He lost lot of points yesterday imo.

I thought he played hard and competed. Their line had little chemistry. Plekanec looked to be playing not to get hurt.

Flynn-Plekanec-Gallagher?

What's that all about... :shakehead

Pacioretty is injured. They probably don't want to mess up the other lines.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
They had what, 20 seconds in OT?

If anything is dumb it's that the refs stopped the OT after the goal, I thought they were playing 3 on 3 no matter the score. The game ended without any 3 on 3...stupidness.

The 3 on 3 is not for the kids, it should be for veterans to get used to it because it will cost or gain points in the standings. The AHL guys will see it in the AHL and the ones that played there last year already saw it first hand.

Unless the make a trade I think everybody but Markov Subban and Petry will see games in the press box. MB would have to be an idiot to waive Tinordi.

I thought he played hard and competed. Their line had little chemistry. Plekanec looked to be playing not to get hurt.

Pacioretty is injured. They probably don't want to mess up the other lines.

Possible, but I would try other rookies instead (like Hudon).

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Not sure why you'd say that. "It's just preseason, nothing to get worked about" works fine as an excuse for Plekanec and Gallagher. Not for Tinordi. This is exactly when he should be playing his best. If last night was his best, he's making Bergevin and Therrien's decision for them and not in the good way.

Some people don't seem to grasp the importance of these games for non roster and second year players. It's not like they have a boatload of games to make an impression.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

I'm only one pair of eyes, but from what I've seen last game, I would have both Dietz and Barberio as a 8th D before Tinordi.

Dietz is waiver exempt so he'll go down and Barberio is 99% to clear waiver, so I think Tinordi stays. However, I do not see him as our 8th best D. So as I said, if he stays, he'll see the action from the pressbox a whole lot.

Chez Weber

King of the North
Jun 27, 2011
Montreal
I'm only one pair of eyes, but from what I've seen last game, I would have both Dietz and Barberio as a 8th D before Tinordi.

Dietz is waiver exempt so he'll go down and Barberio is 99% to clear waiver, so I think Tinordi stays. However, I do not see him as our 8th best D. So as I said, if he stays, he'll see the action from the pressbox a whole lot.

The best thing that could happen to Tinordi is that a LHD gets injured

Vi Nc E x13x

Oct 30, 2011
Who Knows
Exactly I think if we played Tinordi with Gilbert he could be successful

Tinordi has the tools ... He skates very well, can hit, long reach, etc but he went from being confident during his call up in playoffs/ that great preseason to being way too scared to make a mistake. People can say its because he is a bust or not a good prospect but I blame MT for ruining the kid.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Tinordi has the tools ... He skates very well, can hit, long reach, etc but he went from being confident during his call up in playoffs/ that great preseason to being way too scared to make a mistake. People can say its because he is a bust or not a good prospect but I blame MT for ruining the kid.

Why would him being a afraid to make a mistake be MT's fault? it's a competitive business and there are not a lot of spots.

That being said, I think Tinordi would have to really **** the bed to not make the team. He played a solid game last night, safe and mistake free, had a couple of big hits.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

I thought the Dietz-Barberio pair struggled. They had a few moments on offense but they had a hard time in their own end and gave up some great scoring chances.

Mercury10

Feb 9, 2012
Vernon, BC
Tinordi just seems to take too long to settle the puck on his stick, then too long again to make a decision with it. He is just not 'crisp' with the puck, and in today's game that is a very important skill needed to diffuse the opposing team's forecheck.

I thought our best player tonight was Petry.

I don't understand the Tinordi bashing and/or the Petry love.

Unless I watched a different game, this is what I saw:
Petry: 1. A)On the first goal he gave a bad pass that caused a turnover leading to a
2on1.
B)Then turned a 2on1 into a 2on0 by forgetting to cover his man.
2. On the 2nd goal, again a 2on1, he bailed on his man to go cover the
shooter. This led to an easy pass over and a goal.

Tinordi: Looked shaky while handling the puck and really not confident. None of his mistakes led directly to goals.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I don't understand the Tinordi bashing and/or the Petry love.

Unless I watched a different game, this is what I saw:
Petry: 1. A)On the first goal he gave a bad pass that caused a turnover leading to a
2on1.
B)Then turned a 2on1 into a 2on0 by forgetting to cover his man.
2. On the 2nd goal, again a 2on1, he bailed on his man to go cover the
shooter. This led to an easy pass over and a goal.

Tinordi: Looked shaky while handling the puck and really not confident. None of his mistakes led directly to goals.

To me Tinordi didn't make any glaring mistakes, he kept players outside and protected the slot. Took the man, and when he had the puck he made simple plays. If you definition of mistake is chipping it off the glass instead of a pass then it's a pretty severe measuring stick. His main weakness right now is that he wants so badly not to make mistakes and he plays too safe...90's style off the glass and out. I think it's something that will fix itself, his main role is to stop goals in his net and he does it well.

Mercury10

Feb 9, 2012
Vernon, BC
To me Tinordi didn't make any glaring mistakes, he kept players outside and protected the slot. Took the man, and when he had the puck he made simple plays. If you definition of mistake is chipping it off the glass instead of a pass then it's a pretty severe measuring stick. His main weakness right now is that he wants so badly not to make mistakes and he plays too safe...90's style off the glass and out. I think it's something that will fix itself, his main role is to stop goals in his net and he does it well.

I agree.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Tinordi was better last night..he still made a few errors but nothing too glaring. Defencemen are not always developed at 23...an that's certainly the case with Tinordi. For him it is more mental than anything as his mobility/quickness looks improved..he has to get his confidence back. Let's not forget that he suffered a scary injury last year.

I thought he handled himself fairly well out there. Certainly not good enough to make the team, but I'm not giving up on him either.

Everyone around here loves the way Pateryn plays and expect him to make the team, for the first time in his career... He's 25 years old. Why is it that so many people aren't willing to let Tinordi as much time to develop himself? We always knew he was a project from the day he was drafted. He was five years away at least, from day one. He may end up take a bit more time to get to the NHL, or heck, he may never reach it. But I'm not giving up on that type of defenseman at 23 years old.

The only issue is, keep him as an 8th defenseman or send him down and risk (almost a guarantee at this point) losing him to waivers.

Carey The Habs

Sep 18, 2015

Tinner has nobody to blame except himself. MT expects a lot for sure and I don't agree with it in this case but Tinner basically has to say "%$#@ MT I will play my game and be confident". I also think maybe since he got knocked out in that fight a while back that he's been a lot more timid. Just something I've observed

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I thought he handled himself fairly well out there. Certainly not good enough to make the team, but I'm not giving up on him either.

Everyone around here loves the way Pateryn plays and expect him to make the team, for the first time in his career... He's 25 years old. Why is it that so many people aren't willing to let Tinordi as much time to develop himself? We always knew he was a project from the day he was drafted. He was five years away at least, from day one. He may end up take a bit more time to get to the NHL, or heck, he may never reach it. But I'm not giving up on that type of defenseman at 23 years old.

The only issue is, keep him as an 8th defenseman or send him down and risk (almost a guarantee at this point) losing him to waivers.
We have no choice but to keep him or trade him imo .

At this point i'm not sure he has anything to learn from the AHL. He is not really the kind of guys who shine in the AHL anyway (a league filled with smallish Dumont like not too much talented forwards and weak goalies). He will surely not learn to make quicker NHL level decisions in the AHL where there's no guys like Crosby.

The best season of Souray in the AHL was 13 points +12.
Bouwmeester best season in the AHL was 17 points -22.
Brewer did 4 points -6 in 25 AHL games.

He is the 5th tallest dman in the whole NHL. I would like to see him more at the NHL level before making a decision.

I think just training as a 8th dman against NHL quality forwards like Patch would help him more than spending another year in the AHL facing guys like Dumont.

He could train here and if Emelin or Beaulieu are injured then we can give him a try. He could be interesting at the deadline as an extra added to a trade to finalize it.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Tinordi was better last night..he still made a few errors but nothing too glaring. Defencemen are not always developed at 23...an that's certainly the case with Tinordi. For him it is more mental than anything as his mobility/quickness looks improved..he has to get his confidence back. Let's not forget that he suffered a scary injury last year.

It has nothing to do with that. While what you are saying is totally true.....it STILL means that even if he's ok or "better" than last year, it's still not good enough to be a regular. And now he has the waivers going for him. So if he can't play regularly, and can't go to waivers, HE will ask to move on from them. Yes, I guess you can force him to stay and refuse to trade him...which they probably can do till they see how healthy they will be...but there's a limit you can have. At one point, there are numerous cases of d-men that develop elsewhere than the team they are drafted from because you can't keep them eternally and wait for their possible development, because of the waivers, because etc. And for Tinordi it's nto even solely about him anymore....it's about guys that surpass him....it was tough enough for Tinordi to just be good enough, now he was surpassed by Pateryn....we added Barberio....would not even be surprised if Dietz starts surpassing him.....Lernout is coming soon....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad