Series Talk: Toronto vs Boston - Round #1 - PGDT (NOT for other series' discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
Leafs in seven. Think the two playoff rematches (VGK-SJ being the other) will be the most competitive series.

Would be great to bank a win in Game 1, but I'd take a series split going back to Toronto regardless of which of the first two games they win. I suppose "must wins" don't exist until elimination games, but a 2-0 deficit would be too similar to the previous two series against Boston. Not impossible to fully claw back, but definitely not making it easy.

Adding Tavares slots Matthews and Kadri differently from a postseason ago. Muzzin does the same for at least a couple of blueliners. Have to hope the lesser playoff experienced guys on the team are even hungrier now and the playoff veterans are still hungry to return to the level of success they've previously had. Get the lead, protect the lead. Fingers crossed they're better equipped to do that this time around.
I've seen this MULTIPLE times the past couple days.

FYI in 2013 it was 1-1 after the first 2 games in Boston.

Reactions: zaqq and Buds17

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
What do we actually have..

Hy JT Marn
AJ Mat Ny

That's two first lines in my books.

Mar Kad Kap

Easily a second line if Kadri Kap and Mar get going.

Ennis Goat Brown

It's a 4th line but when they play well it's a 3rd line.

The D... Absolutely contender worthy. I have no issue.

Freddy is a boss.

Basically I love the players on the team. I think if they actually come together and play hard, stick up for each other with Freddy being hot, they go as far as they want. TB is the biggest test.
AJ should not be on top 2 lines. He is weak on his skates. Falls over too easy. and his stride is too short. and he wants too much. he will be out of town in summer. don't get too attached. he is as good as gone.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Challenge for all Leaf fans. Let’s keep all negative thoughts comments until the series is over. Post positives.

Let’s fill this forum with positive posts so that every fan base can see what Leaf fans are truly about!

A good post.

This team has spent most of the last 15 years not even being able to make the playoffs. Folks should try to at least enjoy the experience

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
AJ should not be on top 2 lines. He is weak on his skates. Falls over too easy. and his stride is too short. and he wants too much. he will be out of town in summer. don't get too attached. he is as good as gone.

I agree but he is good enough. For me AJ Brown and maybe trade high on Hyman are all gone. Ennis will be gone as well but you never know. In place of them I would have guys that play heavier and set the tone a bit more. Hyman has been good, just not sure I want to be the one to give him a raise.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I agree but he is good enough. For me AJ Brown and maybe trade high on Hyman are all gone. Ennis will be gone as well but you never know. In place of them I would have guys that play heavier and set the tone a bit more. Hyman has been good, just not sure I want to be the one to give him a raise.

We still have Hyman for 2 more seasons before his contract's expired.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
We still have Hyman for 2 more seasons before his contract's expired.
Yes but they will all be gone. Others can bring much more to table for same price tag. AJ is only one gone this summer. and Bracco will come up and team overall will improve because of it.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
amazing how quickly leafs fans get spoiled.

don't make the playoffs for a decade and now just 2 yrs later they're complaining about how terrible it is to be a top-5 team in every metric, with the youngest core in the league.

I'm getting tired of this. According to fans such as yourself we aren't allowed to call out any faults in the team because they are "good".

Oh and top 5 in every metric except for you know.. Points, goals against, shots for/against, Powerplay, penalty kill....

Do I go on?

Reactions: IPS

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
But what about the excessive skill on the Leafs?
Surely we need to get rid of it if we lose
Too bad all those Europeans on the Marilies weren't traded for some good penalty box sitter toughness - those are my brain damaged beliefs
Maybe we can follow the Blue Jays, as they change their name to the Boos.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'm getting tired of this. According to fans such as yourself we aren't allowed to call out any faults in the team because they are "good".

Oh and top 5 in every metric except for you know.. Points, goals against, shots for/against, Powerplay, penalty kill....

Do I go on?

I think it's less about this, and more about the hyperbolic nature it's being said.

.. Which can be said for parts of the other side of the debate as well.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
But what about the excessive skill on the Leafs?
Surely we need to get rid of it if we lose
Too bad all those Europeans on the Marilies weren't traded for some good penalty box sitter toughness - those are my brain damaged beliefs
Maybe we can follow the Blue Jays, as they change their name to the Boos.

We don't need face smashers. We need support players like Hyman perhaps a little softer hands that get in there and crash and bang the puck free. Not Browns that dump and abort plays or Ennis or even AJ. If they are willing to grab a guy by the collar and throw a punch because Freddy gets run, good.

I don't think people mean hammers.

Reactions: Trapper and AreBe

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
A good post.

This team has spent most of the last 15 years not even being able to make the playoffs. Folks should try to at least enjoy the experience
We did, when we were playing with house money against the Caps 2 years ago. That money is all spent.

Most of those 15 years was wasted with the goal of just making the playoffs. Teams tend to fall short if that's all they aspire for. If you want success, you aim for the Cup, and the playoffs become a given.

Reactions: Kamiccolo

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I think it's less about this, and more about the hyperbolic nature it's being said.

.. Which can be said for parts of the other side of the debate as well.

I've been here long enough to remember people defending the Kessel deal, Clarkson signing, Burke/Nonis, etc long after it was apparent these were terrible moves. The reality is that yes, there are negative posters on here but there are also blatant homers who never see any fault in the team.

I think it's fair to say that after last year, and all the weapons added to the team, expectations should be higher. Instead, they have been lowered by many on here.

And especially after some of the contracts these kids have gotten, yeah it's fair to ask them to produce.

Reactions: IPS

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I don't see any prospect in our system with Hyman's skill-set ready to supplant him.
That is because we have not drafted well after Hunter left. Dubie is soft as butter. Smart guy really smart but soft as butter. So with Hunter we got guys like Dermott who can play with an edge. Now we got Sandin. I love Sandin don't get me wrong. He will be our #1 for many years. But he has no edge. We need to draft guys who have some edge to their game. Dubie can bring is skill and lift a team up which he has done. But to get over the edge you need guys with edge to take you there. I don't think he is that kinda guy. I hope I am wrong here too. I really do. I think that is the issue between him and Babs. Everyone wants skill and speed yes but where is the edge. Where is the eye of the tiger?

Reactions: Trapper

Eric bungay

Jun 30, 2018
Okay guys whats your predictions. I don't want to hear Bruins in 4, they are too big, and Leafs are soft.
I want to see predictions from the actual rational fans.
If all goes well and freddy stays steady leafs in 6 games . I think the boys have something to prove and they will show up from the start to finish. Just hoping that the refs dont fck up and try to decide the series them self's!

Reactions: Menzinger

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
If all goes well and freddy stays steady leafs in 6 games . I think the boys have something to prove and they will show up from the start to finish. Just hoping that the refs dont fck up and try to decide the series them self's!

Problem is we never know which Leafs we are getting, sometimes they look like Cup contenders and sometimes they look like lottery pick contenders. If we play like we did vs NYI (last game) its gonna be a short series for Boston. If we play like we did vs Ottawa, its gonna be a short series for us. If we play to our full potential and they play to their full potential, we win the series.

Eric bungay

Jun 30, 2018
Problem is we never know which Leafs we are getting, sometimes they look like Cup contenders and sometimes they look like lottery pick contenders. If we play like we did vs NYI (last game) its gonna be a short series for Boston. If we play like we did vs Ottawa, its gonna be a short series for us. If we play to our full potential and they play to their full potential, we win the series.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
He also said our top 3 centers are not better than Boston...hmmmm...

Tavares, Matthews, Kadri vs Bergeron, Kreji, Coyle. The only guy I would take from Boston is maybe Bergeron. It's debatable who is better Bergeron or Tavares.

Tavares=Bergeron
Matthews >Kreji
Kadri>Coyle

Reactions: Eric bungay
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad