Toronto, Vancouver or Edmonton?

Which city do you think the NHL will choose as the 'hub'?

• Total voters

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
They likely won’t be playing all their games at 7pm, when they have 8 series to cover so 4 games a day.

For qualifying rounds, it is only four 3 out of 5 game series. And then there are 6 round robin games. From what I understand, games will only be played at the NHL arena; other rinks will be used for practices. I don't think there are going to be more than 3 games a day. I think you need at least an hour between each game and while the round robin games are pretty much guaranteed to be over in 3 hours, the qualifying round is being played with playoff overtime rules, so you probably need to leave more room for those games.

Once you hit the actual playoffs, you have 4 series in round 1, 2 series in round 2, and 1 series in round 3. My guess is that for Round 1, you'll see two games a day. Basically each of the four series playing on alternate days.

It will be interesting to see the scheduling. Rogers will certainly want the Leafs in the prime slot but there might be a move to spread the odd times around all the teams, so no one gets an unfair advantage.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
For qualifying rounds, it is only four 3 out of 5 game series. And then there are 6 round robin games. From what I understand, games will only be played at the NHL arena; other rinks will be used for practices. I don't think there are going to be more than 3 games a day. I think you need at least an hour between each game and while the round robin games are pretty much guaranteed to be over in 3 hours, the qualifying round is being played with playoff overtime rules, so you probably need to leave more room for those games.

Once you hit the actual playoffs, you have 4 series in round 1, 2 series in round 2, and 1 series in round 3. My guess is that for Round 1, you'll see two games a day. Basically each of the four series playing on alternate days.

It will be interesting to see the scheduling. Rogers will certainly want the Leafs in the prime slot but there might be a move to spread the odd times around all the teams, so no one gets an unfair advantage.
During the 2016-17 preseason Toronto played some of their games at the Coca-Cola Coliseum due to the World Cup of Hockey still going on at Scotiabank Arena. Remember Matthews scored a hat trick against Montreal.

So why couldn't some of the games be played there and where is it said they all need to play at Scotiabank Arena?

Reactions: Nineteen67

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
During the 2016-17 preseason Toronto played some of their games at the Coca-Cola Coliseum due to the World Cup of Hockey still going on at Scotiabank Arena. Remember Matthews scored a hat trick against Montreal.

So why couldn't some of the games be played there and where is it said they all need to play at Scotiabank Arena?

Especially round one of the playoff series. You can’t play two games in the same arena without a large buffer between games...3 OT would mess the schedule.
This whole deal is all about Rogers anyway.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Edmonton was always the best option it seemed, glad Toronto is hosting the East, I guess. Interested to see what they do with the crowd noise and broadcast to make it seem somewhat normal.

I just want to watch hockey again!

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Toronto being a hub city guaran-freaking-tees that this is the year the Leafs will finally break the drought and win the Cup.

It will be won at home, with no fans in attendance. and we won't be allowed to have a parade.....................

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Toronto being a hub city guaran-freaking-tees that this is the year the Leafs will finally break the drought and win the Cup.

It will be won at home, with no fans in attendance. and we won't be allowed to have a parade.....................

That’s the most Leafs thing ever. But hey I’ll take it.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Edmonton was always the best option it seemed, glad Toronto is hosting the East, I guess. Interested to see what they do with the crowd noise and broadcast to make it seem somewhat normal.

I just want to watch hockey again!
They are going to use cardboard cut out as Fans in the Stands like Euro Football

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Edmonton has the best ice in the league.....I wonder how much that will help the Leafs?

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
That’s the most Leafs thing ever. But hey I’ll take it.
Darn straight. Bring on that result I say. Not simply saying this because I'm out West and wouldn't easily be able to take part in a parade much less see them win in person anyways...

Even if it's the most ridiculous thing ever. I'd take that kind of Cup win.

Reactions: kb

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

I think the League needs them or Montreal in the *Cup Final, but how do you know there won’t be fans and a parade 3 months from now?

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think the League needs them or Montreal in the *Cup Final, but how do you know there won’t be fans and a parade 3 months from now?

NFL football is planning on playing their season without fans schedule for fall of this year.

However yesterday Bob Mackenzie was saying that each team/player might be able to have a handful of family and friends allocated that could be allowed into the building to watch their team in person.

20 players per team X 2 teams playing X 10 Family/Friends each = 400 fan is attendance [with socially distancing rules applying] spread throughout the arena.

If this becomes true than Paul, Bonnie and Chris Marner as well as Brian and Ema Matthews might be able to see their sons and brother hoist a Cup in TO.

cut.jpg

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
NFL football is planning on playing their season without fans schedule for fall of this year.

However yesterday Bob Mackenzie was saying that each team/player might be able to have a handful of family and friends allocated that could be allowed into the building to watch their team in person.

20 players per team X 2 teams playing X 10 Family/Friends each = 400 fan is attendance [with socially distancing rules applying] spread throughout the arena.

If this becomes true than Paul, Bonnie and Chris Marner as well as Brian and Ema Matthews might be able to see their sons and brother hoist a Cup in TO.

cut.jpg

I suggested this a few months ago. Having a few hundred fans in attendance trying to make noise would be awesome.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

cut.jpg

How would that work for the US teams, they cannot have fans travelling to Canada,

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
How would that work for the US teams, they cannot have fans travelling to Canada,

According to Bobby Mac yesterday .. He said those US Teams fans would need to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival to hub city first, and then could go among city freely thereafter mixing and sight seeing etc and attending games in person if that is the route the NHL goes.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
I cannot see player's family/friends isolating themselves for two weeks just so they can watch a game live. I honestly think they should just shut this down and write off the season/playoffs.
If the border continues to be restricted to American visitors, then that's it as far as I'm concerned. I don't believe they should get special treatment because they are attending a pro hockey game. Too risky considering how out of control Covid-19 seems to be in the US.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
According to Bobby Mac yesterday .. He said those US Teams fans would need to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival to hub city first, and then could go among city freely thereafter mixing and sight seeing etc and attending games in person if that is the route the NHL goes.
Wait, they’re going to let these healthy people out of the bubble and then back in?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I cannot see player's family/friends isolating themselves for two weeks just so they can watch a game live. I honestly think they should just shut this down and write off the season/playoffs.
If the border continues to be restricted to American visitors, then that's it as far as I'm concerned. I don't believe they should get special treatment because they are attending a pro hockey game. Too risky considering how out of control Covid-19 seems to be in the US.
On Monday Florida had about 3.5 % of their hospital beds occupied by patients with the virus.
Cant shut the league down for that considering the expense it would incur.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Wait, they’re going to let these healthy people out of the bubble and then back in?

Still early days of discussions with lots of things to be finalized in these next phases or reopening and playing games again.

That was Bob McKenzie speculating on some of the things being discussed that there might be a few fans allocated to each player in bubble, that might be allowed into the arena. The "fans" would be physically separated from the players but after being quarantined they could walk among Canadians freely.

The "friends and family fans" would not be in any bubble only the players.

The NFL is talking about blocking off the first rows in the stands keeping the fans (if they allow any) from the sidelines and players. NHL might also do similar so that fans couldn't come within 10-15 feet of the players or glass etc. Maybe they even use the suites and luxuary boxes for fans in the building.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad