Toronto, Vancouver or Edmonton?

Which city do you think the NHL will choose as the 'hub'?

• Total voters

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Can they get three Canadian teams in the final four . Two is likely enough but three guarantees a final for Sportsnet.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
According to Bobby Mac yesterday .. He said those US Teams fans would need to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival to hub city first, and then could go among city freely thereafter mixing and sight seeing etc and attending games in person if that is the route the NHL goes.
That makes very little sense. The series they are going to watch could be over before their 14 day quarantine is even over. I highly doubt they allow US fans to travel up here for any games. Maybe fans from Toronto can go to games, but not US fans. Just don't see it. Way too much risk.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
That makes very little sense. The series they are going to watch could be over before their 14 day quarantine is even over. I highly doubt they allow US fans to travel up here for any games. Maybe fans from Toronto can go to games, but not US fans. Just don't see it. Way too much risk.

Are you perhaps getting confused with play-in round vs playoff rounds?

If you are coming to watch the playoffs as one of these designated Fans of a player and you know the team will be in the playoffs then they would need to arrive at the host hub city in advance to allow for quarantine time.

There has been no official schedules yet out so there could be a week or so between the play-in round and playoff round.

Everything is still being written in pencil and nothing yet decided including this idea of have each player allowed to have a few fans in attendance at games.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Why would that help the leafs? Unless we make the finals..
Because there was talk about the East teams playing in Edmonton, and the West teams would play in Toronto so there would be no perception of "home ice advantage".

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Are you perhaps getting confused with play-in round vs playoff rounds?

If you are coming to watch the playoffs as one of these designated Fans of a player and you know the team will be in the playoffs then they would need to arrive at the host hub city in advance to allow for quarantine time.

There has been no official schedules yet out so there could be a week or so between the play-in round and playoff round.

Everything is still being written in pencil and nothing yet decided including this idea of have each player allowed to have a few fans in attendance at games.
No, I wasn't getting anything confused. It just doesn't seem logical.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I can see them letting up families if they quarantine for 14 days, but I don't get how they would be allowed in/out of the bubble freely, as that pretty much defeats the purpose of the bubble.

Reactions: kb

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I can see them letting up families if they quarantine for 14 days, but I don't get how they would be allowed in/out of the bubble freely, as that pretty much defeats the purpose of the bubble.
Plus where would they quarantine for 2 weeks, can’t stay in a hotel room for 2 weeks, need food etc.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Because there was talk about the East teams playing in Edmonton, and the West teams would play in Toronto so there would be no perception of "home ice advantage".
I know there was more reasons why the NHL looked at bids to host these games from those various cities. However I remember thinking if they didn't want to give any team "home ice advantage" why not try and select a city who's team was officially eliminated from even making the play in round. For example if Hotels were a factor why not go with Los Angeles and Anaheim.

Reactions: kb

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I know there was more reasons why the NHL looked at bids to host these games from those various cities. However I remember thinking if they didn't want to give any team "home ice advantage" why not try and select a city who's team was officially eliminated from even making the play in round. For example if Hotels were a factor why not go with Los Angeles and Anaheim.

I think given Sportsnet/Rogers massive TV contract and how much they pay the NHL each year, the league pushed for this city to be a hub. Their main broadcast facility as well as the majority of staff are here in the city/GTA so it would make broadcasting games a lot easier.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If Canadians are this fearful of the virus, why hold the exhibition up there?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I think given Sportsnet/Rogers massive TV contract and how much they pay the NHL each year, the league pushed for this city to be a hub. Their main broadcast facility as well as the majority of staff are here in the city/GTA so it would make broadcasting games a lot easier.
Yes true but ultimately this was a player vote. Da players have got their $$$ and owners are trying to keep theirs from going back to media. So it is players who hold da cards right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->