Sportsnet: Toronto took a real run at Mike Condon

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I honestly think Sparks is better than Mac. He is probably the most overrated player on our boards. Everytime he was in net I had a heart attack. Looks like he plays in a beer league.

a bit rough considering he was a huge reason the leafs even made the playoffs (watch the dying moments of game 81).

8-8-2. 2.70GAA/.917SV%. good enough behind this D

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-summer-market-matt-duchene-still-open/

I recall a lot of people being upset about bringing back McBackup. This should show people management is trying to improve but won't make deals they feel they shouldn't be making, which is a GOOD thing and something this franchise has been missing. There is more pressure than ever on management to make a big deal, and they are being patient with it.

I think this would have been a great player to bring in and would have addressed a huge need, but am happy they aren't committing too much salary 3 years from now when the kids need new deals.

What it tells me is management knows Mcbackup is not good enough because if you think your backup is good enough you don't go after anyone else

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
What it tells me is management knows Mcbackup is not good enough because if you think your backup is good enough you don't go after anyone else

Yeah, looks like McBackup was plan B.

Hopefully Sparks manages to pull things together for another chance at an NHL spot - he's looked good with the Marlies.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yeah, looks like McBackup was plan B.

Hopefully Sparks manages to pull things together for another chance at an NHL spot - he's looked good with the Marlies.

I don't think he is ever going to make it he was drafted 6 years ago usually when it takes you 6 years to make the NHL, you don't make it, I am sure there are exceptions but usually if you haven't made it by now you don't make it.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I said nothing to dispute this.

I suspect that ths Leafs only wanted him for two, but ee offering as much per year.

No worries. I wasn't aiming my post at you. I didn't make that clear, so my bad.

In this case, I was really addressing the OP and I couldn't see a few hundred k or an extra year as being a reason for not doing this.

Last edited:

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

or their confidence in Andersen is, you know :help: I had zero confidence in Andersen closing out a 2 goal lead with a minute to play, all last season.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Maybe that was more to do with the team defense?

With the goalie pulled, the defending teams are usually under heavy pressure in their own zone. There is only so much the players can do. Its not like they played Gardiner in the last minute either lol

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
...and then they settled on McBackup.

Would not be surprised if Sparks becomes the backup at some point this season, if not at the start.

I'll be stunned if Sparks is ever a meaningful part of the team...I think he's some insurance until the other prospects get closer, but he isn't anything to count on.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
With the goalie pulled, the defending teams are usually under heavy pressure in their own zone. There is only so much the players can do. Its not like they played Gardiner in the last minute either lol

They didn't cough up all their leads playing against 6 men though.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
They didn't cough up all their leads playing against 6 men though.

I know, 2-3 goal leads were often blown with under 10 minutes left, top end goalies make clutch saves and win those games. Leafs outplayed the other teams 80-90% of the games last season, eye test. Strange that the Leafs were willing to drop good money on Condon...

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
I know, 2-3 goal leads were often blown with under 10 minutes left, top end goalies make clutch saves and win those games. Leafs outplayed the other teams 80-90% of the games last season, eye test. Strange that the Leafs were willing to drop good money on Condon...

Andersen made clutch saves and kept them in games constantly last season. The blown leads were more endemic of the team defence than goaltending. They went after Condon because they wanted a more reliable back-up. Or do you actually think it's because they wanted him for starting duties?

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
The fact that they didn't want to commit to Condon means they probably see something in Sparks.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
or their confidence in Andersen is, you know :help: I had zero confidence in Andersen closing out a 2 goal lead with a minute to play, all last season.

If their conference in Andersen was low he wouldn't have gotten a 5 year deal, thr fact they went after Condon says all you need to know about their confidence in Mcbackup

If they had any real confidence in Mcbackup they don't go after Condon

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Andersen made clutch saves and kept them in games constantly last season. The blown leads were more endemic of the team defence than goaltending. They went after Condon because they wanted a more reliable back-up. Or do you actually think it's because they wanted him for starting duties?

My thought would be, to give Freddy more of a rest, and if people hit him in the head as much as they did last season, we could have confidence in someone, we know who could do it-for a few games consecutively.

Its why I was disappointed, just, not just with Condon, but CJohnson and Nilsson. Someone you know can be a starter.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
At the end of the day, if McBackup is the reason that the Leafs aren't making the playoffs, it's probably a signal that the team wasn't good enough to go deep enough to have a shot at the cup. The backup position is only going to be relevant during the regular season since Babcock likes to play the starter for the playoffs. Sure a good backup will help the starter rest so he can be fresh for the playoffs but I think that the position is more of a luxury than a need this early on in the rebuild. I like that we went after Condon but if we had spent futures in acquiring a backup, I'd be a little upset. Just keep ancillary players' costs as low as possible.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The backup goalie is the bullpen of hockey. If yours isn't working, it's pretty easier to to change it up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad