Sportsnet: Toronto took a real run at Mike Condon

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
McBackup is so bad. Condon isn't wonderful either, but McBackup literally costs you a goal against every two games he plays for you.

Last season, compared to Andersen's stats, he literally didn't cost a goal every two games:

1 / (2.85 - 2.67) = 5.6 games

Last edited:

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I think McBackup goes the way of Enroth halfway through the season. Hopefully something shakes free during the year.

Atleast they were looking for better options.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Interesting - I still think the signing of McBackup was managements most questionable decisions this offseason - especially since he was given two years. I'm not sure he'll be able to repeat his play from last season and so if Andersen goes on another of his cold streaks or has a multi week injury it could sink the season.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Was never happy with McElhinney.

I really wanted someone who could give Freddy more rest.
Condon was top of my list as well.
What was frustrating was that others were available, like CJohnson, hell JF Berube was dealt, many better opportunities than Curtis.

Soon, Sparks will have to show that he can do something and be consistent.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Was never happy with McElhinney.

I really wanted someone who could give Freddy more rest.
Condon was top of my list as well.
What was frustrating was that others were available, like CJohnson, hell JF Berube was dealt, many better opportunities than Curtis.

Soon, Sparks will have to show that he can do something and be consistent.

i think you are forgetting while there may be other/better options than Curtis - they more than likely want to be a starter or show they can - causing drama. I think they wanted a clear cut they know they are a backup, backup, and those options never came available for us.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
It's wise that goalies cost you only 8-9% of the cap. It's plain stupid to pay more than that.
Freddy can handle 60-65 games and McBackup can take rest. Maybe give Sparks 1-2 if you feel need to do it.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Sparks is 24 with 4 years of professional hockey experience now. His AHL numbers are generally pretty solid.

I think he has a decent shot at being an NHL calibre backup at this point. So it's not like McBackup is our only option. They'll be battling for the spot.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I don't think people will be happy until we have a goalie tandem with both of them among the top 10 tenders in the league with combined salaries of 6m .

if our team D was better we wouldn't be consistently whining about our goalies

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I said nothing to dispute this.

I suspect that ths Leafs only wanted him for two, but ee offering as much per year.

How much does Condon make?

I ask because you'd think a backup goalies salary (even for just the one year, the 3rd year) shouldn't be so high that it would prohibit signing a position like this. I'm not sure how you get "bad deal" out of signing Condon for a 3rd year either, but whatever I guess .....

If your #1 starter goes down for any longer period of time, having a reliable backup is definitely a good thing. It happens.

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
What does a"real run" mean?
Is that a media driven device for followers.
Leafs: yeah we'd have interest in signing you.
Thanks but I'm going to sign with Ottawa.
Leafs: ok.

Makes a better headline then mediocre interest in.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
i think you are forgetting while there may be other/better options than Curtis - they more than likely want to be a starter or show they can - causing drama. I think they wanted a clear cut they know they are a backup, backup, and those options never came available for us.

I do think that's a large part of it. Lou did go out of his way to say that McBackup knows his role on the team, and guys like Mirtle have said management didn't want want to have any sort of competition.

Though issue of course is, he knows his role because he's not that good.

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
I do think that's a large part of it. Lou did go out of his way to say that McBackup knows his role on the team, and guys like Mirtle have said management didn't want want to have any sort of competition.

Though issue of course is, he knows his role because he's not that good.

Or he knows his role and is happy because he wants to contribute his part to the bigger goal of winning a Stanley cup.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Can we really afford a backup goalie?

Yes, Andersen could get hurt/ tired. But doesn't every team face this danger? See Montreal last year. Unless we develop our own backup, don't expect a lot to be invested in a backup goalie.We could have had say Elliot, but can we afford him?

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
What does a"real run" mean?
Is that a media driven device for followers.
Leafs: yeah we'd have interest in signing you.
Thanks but I'm going to sign with Ottawa.
Leafs: ok.

Makes a better headline then mediocre interest in.

I think it was more "I've played for Montreal and Ottawa, I'm not playing for you!"

The anti-Komisarek.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Yes, Andersen could get hurt/ tired. But doesn't every team face this danger? See Montreal last year. Unless we develop our own backup, don't expect a lot to be invested in a backup goalie.We could have had say Elliot, but can we afford him?

Well, the Pens likely don't win the cup without having the Fleury/Murray tandem.

Yeah still, the Leafs situation is hardly unique, but that doesn't mean that all backups are of the same quality. But some goalie tandems are definitely a tier above others.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Oh I have no idoubt McBackup wants to be part of the team. Question of course is, was there a better option for the Leafs availible

no because most of them had deals in place before July 1st.
and most of the other established backups got inked long term.

hence why - I would like us to develop our goalie pool but a lot of people are all like pft. just trade for one or sign them at UFA. okay. and we did. and now people are grumps because we got Mcbackup - who wasn't even that bad for us last year.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
no because most of them had deals in place before July 1st.
and most of the other established backups got inked long term.

hence why - I would like us to develop our goalie pool but a lot of people are all like pft. just trade for one or sign them at UFA. okay. and we did. and now people are grumps because we got Mcbackup - who wasn't even that bad for us last year.

Though to be fair, wanting to get an upgrade via free agency doesn't mean one will be happy with ANY fee agency signing.

Regardless I do hope he plays well, but will be surprised if he's as good as he was last year.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Last season was the best year McElhinney's ever had. It's unwise to expect that performance (.917) to continue for a 34 year old goalie with a career .905 over a large sample size. The backup position matters way more than people give credit too. Pittsburgh doesn't win the cup without Fleury, Ottawa possibly doesn't even make the playoffs without Condon, and the list goes on and on. Banking on a .905 guy for a quarter of the season (assuming Freddy starts 60ish games) is foolish.

It's nice that we tried to get Condon, but I really wish we didn't end up with McElhinney again.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Last season was the best year McElhinney's ever had. It's unwise to expect that performance (.917) to continue for a 34 year old goalie with a career .905 over a large sample size. The backup position matters way more than people give credit too. Pittsburgh doesn't win the cup without Fleury, Ottawa possibly doesn't even make the playoffs without Condon, and the list goes on and on. Banking on a .905 guy for a quarter of the season (assuming Freddy starts 60ish games) is foolish.

It's nice that we tried to get Condon, but I really wish we didn't end up with McElhinney again.

Meh. Backups rarely get favourable matchups. I dont read a whole lot into SV% when it comes to backups.

Literally the only thing that matters for a backup is wins. Thats it. How it happens is irrelevant.

Now, where it does matter is if Freddy goes down. If he goes down and the prognosis is bad I think the Leafs look for a stopgap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad