Sportsnet: Toronto took a real run at Mike Condon

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-summer-market-matt-duchene-still-open/

. Toronto took a real run at Mike Condon, who got a third year with the Senators.

I recall a lot of people being upset about bringing back McBackup. This should show people management is trying to improve but won't make deals they feel they shouldn't be making, which is a GOOD thing and something this franchise has been missing. There is more pressure than ever on management to make a big deal, and they are being patient with it.

I think this would have been a great player to bring in and would have addressed a huge need, but am happy they aren't committing too much salary 3 years from now when the kids need new deals.

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-summer-market-matt-duchene-still-open/

I recall a lot of people being upset about bringing back McBackup. This should show people management is trying to improve but won't make deals they feel they shouldn't be making, which is a GOOD thing and something this franchise has been missing. There is more pressure than ever on management to make a big deal, and they are being patient with it.

I think this would have been a great player to bring in and would have addressed a huge need, but am happy they aren't committing too much salary 3 years from now when the kids need new deals.

I think the million dollar question is, is Mike Condon a clear upgrade over McBackup? If Anderson is injured for a long period of time can we rely on McBackup, or sign a reliable free agent goalie? Otherwise we will most likely need to give up assets to trade for one.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
the backup is actually a huge position, they still play 20-30 games a year at minimum...and touch wood if injuries occur, your season might be over regardless of how good you are if your backup sucks

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
...and then they settled on McBackup.

Would not be surprised if Sparks becomes the backup at some point this season, if not at the start.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
As they should have. He is a demonstrably better goaltender at this point, and a major part of why the Sens were able to make the playoffs the last season. He was top of my list for a backup, and I wish we could have signed him.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I dont know whats worse, the terrible media rumors or the terrible Stand Witness campaign MLSE has going. One thing is for sure, the brain drain must be real. Condon? Stand witness Condon? I think I will remain seated cool kids.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Not sure why anyone would face palm for Sparks but be fine with McBackup. It makes no sense to me.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Too bad Reimer thinks he's a number #1 and decided to move on. He would of been the perfect back up in this case.

I'm glad Reimer moved on. He was the subject of too many haters on here.

Same goes for Bozak. Hope he goes and becomes a winner elsewhere.

:rant:

As for Mike Condon, if it's true that we gave him a legitimate offer, he can rot with the Senaturds for all I care. Hope he wins nothing there.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I'm glad they didn't just go ahead and make a bad deal. Backup goalies come up all the time. I think we'll find a good fit with patience. Until then, McBackup is fine.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
I honestly think Sparks is better than Mac. He is probably the most overrated player on our boards. Everytime he was in net I had a heart attack. Looks like he plays in a beer league.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I honestly think Sparks is better than Mac. He is probably the most overrated player on our boards. Everytime he was in net I had a heart attack. Looks like he plays in a beer league.

I noticed that McBackup looked good when Jake and Z were on the ice but nit as good when Mo and whomever were on the ice. I attribute this mostly to the problem that developed with Mo not minding the area aroundthe crease or clearing the puck out of the zone. Some of that problem was at times the Bozak line not giving Mo support or an outlet but thats part of why I want JVR and Bozak gone.

People unfortunately just dont process whats going on around here properly.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

Um, McElhinney looks much better than any goalie I played with, or against, in pickup/beer league hockey.

If management thinks he's good for now, I trust their opinion far more than I trust yours, to be honest.

Sparks may end up being a backup for us at some point, however, I don't think he is ready as yet. Obviously, management must agree, because, they extended Curtis after they failed to score Condon. (pun intended)

If, and when, we need a better backup, Lou will get us one.

For now, chew 2 low dose aspirin before watching any Leaf games with McElhinney as our starting goaltender. ;)

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Not surprised the Leafs took a look at Condon. It'd have been nice to upgrade at that position if ideally possible. In the end it didn't happen so the Leafs went with Plan B.
Well glad you survived your heart attacks long enough for him to help secure us a playoff spot.

He's not a great goalie. But he did the best job of the guys given a shot last season. Sparks should be the backup eventually. But it's good to have options. Otherwise you are left with no good fit and are losing out on wins.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I think the million dollar question is, is Mike Condon a clear upgrade over McBackup?

As they should have. He is a demonstrably better goaltender at this point, and a major part of why the Sens were able to make the playoffs the last season. He was top of my list for a backup, and I wish we could have signed him.

There is no question, the answer is a resounding yes.

How much does Condon make?

I ask because you'd think a backup goalies salary (even for just the one year, the 3rd year) shouldn't be so high that it would prohibit signing a position like this. I'm not sure how you get "bad deal" out of signing Condon for a 3rd year either, but whatever I guess .....

If your #1 starter goes down for any longer period of time, having a reliable backup is definitely a good thing. It happens.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando

McBackup is so bad. Condon isn't wonderful either, but McBackup literally costs you a goal against every two games he plays for you.

4DEKyNn.png

People will probably remember how hard I was on Freddie Andersen early in the season, but there's a good reason why Freddie was 33-16 while Curtis was 6-7, despite sv% not looking too different.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
McBackup is so bad. Condon isn't wonderful either, but McBackup literally costs you a goal against every two games he plays for you.

4DEKyNn.png

People will probably remember how hard I was on Freddie Andersen early in the season, but there's a good reason why Freddie was 33-16 while Curtis was 6-7, despite sv% not looking too different.

There were other really big problems going on when we got mcbackup. Mo was hurt and sucking, Mitch was monotitis head and Bozak and JVR go controller disconnected without top performing Mitch. We sorted most of that out and got better so dont worry.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017

There was a lot of talk of last year being an uncharacteristically good year for him, and the fact that he's 34 signalling significant regression in the near future. Hard to say what will happen, obviously, but I am of the mind that you should jump out of the ship before it starts sinking.

But I don't run the team, and maybe he was our only semi-decent option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad