Sportsnet: Toronto took a real run at Mike Condon

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It's really not that simple

Sure it is.

We had Enroth, who was crap, we played Sparks who was meh, and then claimed McBackup off of waivers and he brought stability for at least the rest of last season.

Ideally he continues. If not, hopefully Sparks can step up. If not, multiple goalies will probably end up on waivers through out the year. If not, it's simple enough to trade for one.

Now granted, being at the 50 contract limit doesn't allow us to claim a goalie if needed, so that takes that option away

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
At the end of the day, if McBackup is the reason that the Leafs aren't making the playoffs, it's probably a signal that the team wasn't good enough to go deep enough to have a shot at the cup. The backup position is only going to be relevant during the regular season since Babcock likes to play the starter for the playoffs. Sure a good backup will help the starter rest so he can be fresh for the playoffs but I think that the position is more of a luxury than a need this early on in the rebuild. I like that we went after Condon but if we had spent futures in acquiring a backup, I'd be a little upset. Just keep ancillary players' costs as low as possible.

Eh, if a goaltender flops out badly, that could kill off any teams playoff chances.

Babcock certainly does like ton favour his starters even in the regular season but there are things that are beyond his control (injury, Cold streaks etc). I'd personally feel better if they had a more reliable guy as the backup going into this season.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Sure it is.

We had Enroth, who was crap, we played Sparks who was meh, and then claimed McBackup off of waivers and he brought stability for at least the rest of last season.

Ideally he continues. If not, hopefully Sparks can step up. If not, multiple goalies will probably end up on waivers through out the year. If not, it's simple enough to trade for one.

Now granted, being at the 50 contract limit doesn't allow us to claim a goalie if needed, so that takes that option away

No, it is not that simple, because if it were they would not have failed with Enroth the 1st time, but they did, OH BOY did they ever he was a complete and utter disgrace.

Lets be honest the reason people like Mcbackup is because, we went from disgrace to OK, but here is the thing Mcbackup had 1 good year, that was last year the rest of his career by NHL standards has been garbage, he had a career year but chances are he isn't doing that again at 34.

Give up on Sparks that is not happening he was drafted in 2011 it is now 2017 that is 6 years ago.

He is no closer to making the NHL than he was 6 years ago he isn't making it, it is over

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Not every backup goalie will work. Just like not every bullpen arm will work. One year a reliever could be an all-star, the next be in AAA. Like backup goalies.

The thing about relievers and backup goalies, is that there's plenty available, so it's easy to swap in different options and try and find someone who works, at least compared to the other positions in said sports.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Not at worried if McBackup flops
Backup goalies become available throughout the year

Don't want to over-pay for a back-up either, another reason I'm good with McElhinney

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Um, McElhinney looks much better than any goalie I played with, or against, in pickup/beer league hockey.

If management thinks he's good for now, I trust their opinion far more than I trust yours, to be honest.

Sparks may end up being a backup for us at some point, however, I don't think he is ready as yet. Obviously, management must agree, because, they extended Curtis after they failed to score Condon. (pun intended)

If, and when, we need a better backup, Lou will get us one.

For now, chew 2 low dose aspirin before watching any Leaf games with McElhinney as our starting goaltender. ;)

thing is management doesn't think he's good for now, if they did they would not have gone after Condon to begin with because there would be no need to, they did which means they want to replace him

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
thing is management doesn't think he's good for now, if they did they would not have gone after Condon to begin with because there would be no need to, they did which means they want to replace him

they went after Condon because they felt he was a better goalie , if they thought McBackup wasn't good enough for now they wouldn't have bothered to sign him

I believe they feel he's good enough to spell Anderson for 15/20 games but feel he can't carry the load full time if Andersen goes down and that's the main reason they wanted a better option (even if the cap hit was higher) .

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
they went after Condon because they felt he was a better goalie , if they thought McBackup wasn't good enough for now they wouldn't have bothered to sign him

I believe they feel he's good enough to spell Anderson for 15/20 games but feel he can't carry the load full time if Andersen goes down and that's the main reason they wanted a better option (even if the cap hit was higher) .

i think they brought him back because when they couldn't land Condon they didn't have much choice, if h regesses we are trouble because Andersen can't play 82 games

Last edited:

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
Andersen doesn't seem super durable - not a big issue but you are going to need a backup that can give you 25 games I would wager.

I think a goalie like Eddie Lack would have been better - he was obviously available for not much and you accept he will move on the following year as UFA

I think spending and losing a bit on this back up job is pretty vital for a playoff run

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Eh, I'd echo the thoughts hat McBackup isn't the ideal backup for the Leafs.

If he can play like he did last season it will be fine, but prior to that season he's ranged from terrible to average. He hasn't exactly been a pillar of stability in his career

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad