Proposal: Toronto - St.Louis

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Back on track, the proposal really favours the Blues. As others have stated, Gunnar might be available for a pick.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Parayko is available for the right price (and that price is not that high compared to what many people here might think). #3 Dmen are good but not untouchable.

Dont get me wrong. Parayko is good and has value but Parayko is vastly overrated (like alot of other young dmen).

No, no, you had me quite convinced with the first post. There was no need to further elaborate. I am not sure if it was the copious amounts of quotes from reputable sources, the exhaustive analysis of his play style, the masterful use of advanced stats, the power and passion of your prose or some combination of it all. Whatever it was, it was master-class in how to make a well-reasoned argument. To think some of the rabble on here just state their opinion as fact and think that means something. Not you, my friend, you can hone an argument down to the razor's edge. How anyone could read the above and NOT come around to your way of thinking is beyond me.

PinkFly

Oct 30, 2017
First off brah, Parayko is the second best dman on our team and is a top pairing dman. But it's cool troll on.

How is it trolling? You said he's a top pairing d-man and I said he's a notch below that. Considering that when fans judge their favourite teams players they tend to overrate them, you sure you're not overthinking this?

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
How is it trolling? You said he's a top pairing d-man and I said he's a notch below that. Considering that when fans judge their favourite teams players they tend to overrate them, you sure you're not overthinking this?
He is the second best dman on our team petro is the best and petro is top5-10 in league. Parayko would be top pairing on half the teams in the league. But it's OK to say he is 3 4 dman. Especially when everyone on this board including other teams fans say he is better than your opinion states

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Leafs are looking for a veteran but not too old defensive dman. I think Gunnarsson would be a great guy for their defense and shore up their defensive woes. Cap hits the Leafs take on about 800k in extra cap but 1yr finished earlier.

Why are the Leafs looking for a veteran Dman? Reilly and Gardiner are veterans, Hainsey is really a veteran, Zaitsev is 26 years old. Dermot certainly is an NHLer and Borgman should a Leafs next year and are expected to be long term Leafs.
Leafs have plenty of LHD, so I don't see why Gunner is necessary.

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL
I don't think we want Gunnar back. Dunn would be nice.
Dunn would require a much better player back. In all honesty he is almost as untouchable as Parayko. 1 year in and already proved he can handle top 4 minutes. Demonstrated amazing hand , great wheels and hockey IQ. Future PP QB.

Reactions: Colt55

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
What is with the urgency to unload JBo's contract? It's only for one more season. I think a healthy JBo for one more year is more valuable to the Blues than the "pennies" you're aking for. He would be a fine 3rd pairing D while Walman and Mikkola develop, (and neither are ready to step in), and if he isn't healthy, (which is possible, if not probable), he gets put on LTIR, where his contract isn't a problem.

And what's wrong with looking at other options? The value is the cap space it would free up. Not the return. Heck maybe we could ask for a depth D. He's a 5.5 million dollar 35 year old #3rd pairing D (as you labeled him) coming off of a hip injury. His name and history is what gives him value. He has 1 year left? So why not get some value for him instead of walking for nothing next year? JayBouw's best days are far behind. Why bank on LTIR? We're not talking about losing Parayko, Petro, Dunn, or Eddy. We're not talking about 30 year old shutdown swift skating JBouw. We can actually use that cap space for an impact player. We need to surround the current core with talent or they will walk. Every year we wait, we're closer to Schwartz, Schenn, & Petro's contract years. We played fine without Bouw last year. We can find a replacement under half the cost. There's tons of LHD hitting the market. And why not use Gunnarson down the road as our 3PD? If your excuse is that he has a blown knee, then what GM is going to trade for the guy? I use other Blues forums but damn nobody overvalues our players/prospects or acts like we have no other options more than the HF Blues fans. I'm conservative when it comes to trading core pieces but he isn't one of them...

Last edited:

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Parayko is really more of a strong #5 dman. Just check out his 5v5TOI%QoC and ignore all other stats...

Reactions: Colt55 and 67Blues

steinerecliner

May 15, 2018
And what's wrong with looking at other options? The value is the cap space it would free up. Not the return. Heck maybe we could ask for a depth D. He's a 5.5 million dollar 35 year old #3rd pairing D (as you labeled him) coming off of a hip injury. His name and history is what gives him value. He has 1 year left? So why not get some value for him instead of walking for nothing next year? JayBouw's best days are far behind. Why bank on LTIR? We're not talking about losing Parayko, Petro, Dunn, or Eddy. We're not talking about 30 year old shutdown swift skating JBouw. We can actually use that cap space for an impact player. We need to surround the current core with talent or they will walk. Every year we wait, we're closer to Schwartz, Schenn, & Petro's contract years. We played fine without Bouw last year. We can find a replacement under half the cost. There's tons of LHD hitting the market. And why not use Gunnarson down the road as our 3PD? If your excuse is that he has a blown knee, then what GM is going to trade for the guy? I use other Blues forums but damn nobody overvalues our players/prospects or acts like we have no other options more than the HF Blues fans. I'm conservative when it comes to trading core pieces but he isn't one of them...

I'm all for moving Jay, because IF and its a big if we can sign Tavares we are going to need that cap space to fill the other holes. The only issue is who will take the chance with that hip. That Hip injury is the ONLY reason why the Blues can't buy out the contract. Adding half of that contract in cap space. We would need to sign someone for depth. The Blues at this point are not trading I don't think for low line guys. We have plenty of guys to fill the 3 and 4 line. The only lower line guy I would want to see come in is Reaves back on the 4th line because his heart I think would stopped that MAJOR slump from happening that we saw this pass season. Morale boast reasons alone as he was so liked by the team. Everything else the Blues is going to be looking are is a top 6 prefer Center, and hopefully resign Hutton

The rest the teams needs is coaching change in the PP department and getting healthy. Hopefully we make moves moving dead weight Berglund and Sobes for example and upgrade.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Parayko is really more of a strong #5 dman. Just check out his 5v5TOI%QoC and ignore all other stats...
Did you happen to catch that middle pairing Parayko led the Canada-Russia game in TOI by almost two full minutes?

Someone should tell their coach that it's silly to play a #3 D that much when you have guys like Ekblad and Vlasic on your roster.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Did you happen to catch that middle pairing Parayko led the Canada-Russia game in TOI by almost two full minutes?

Someone should tell their coach that it's silly to play a #3 D that much when you have guys like Ekblad and Vlasic on your roster.
International play doesn’t count because sample size. Nice try tho. :P

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
How did Parayko get thrown into the mix when the OP didn't include him? I'm starting to think that Toronto might be evolving into an Edmonton-eske Parayko stalking syndrome (now known as EPSS).

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Colton Parayko
For
William Nylander

If the leafs sign JT

Rielly - - Parayko
Gardiner - Zaitsev

Really solidifies the leafs D, with Nylander potentially centring Vladamir Tarasenko which would be a deadly duo

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Colton Parayko
For
William Nylander

If the leafs sign JT

Rielly - - Parayko
Gardiner - Zaitsev

Really solidifies the leafs D, with Nylander potentially centring Vladamir Tarasenko which would be a deadly duo
Pass. Some of my fellow Blues fans will disagree, (and I expect to hear about it. :)), but I was not impressed with Nylander's performance in the playoffs. He was soft. I agree, small sample size, and he's young enough for that to change, but for now, I would rather keep Parayko. Now before the lectures of "toughness in the new NHL isn't needed" commence, I understand that not every player has to be a power forward, but I draw the line at bailing on a play to avoid a hit. I clearly saw Nylander do this. I thought he was intimidated, and effectively silenced, by the Bruins. Until he grows out of this, I wouldn't trade Nylander for Parayko.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Colton Parayko
For
William Nylander

If the leafs sign JT

Rielly - - Parayko
Gardiner - Zaitsev

Nylander is not a center. So you can't sell him as 1. Parayko has more value than 60 pt winger

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Colton Parayko
For
William Nylander

If the leafs sign JT

Rielly - - Parayko
Gardiner - Zaitsev

For the billionth time. f*** no.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
For the billionth time. **** no.
Dbrowns, This is why i stopped being polite about Hoffman, Patches, and other threads about Parayko/thomas/kyrou/dunn. Doesnt matter how nicely, how many stats/facts we use, how much we need to address actual team needs, how many times we say no, or how many times DA has said he isnt trading for rentals. These fan bases continue to beat the dead horse. So I understand your frustration.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
TOR Fans

We are not trading Parayko for Nylander straight up. Great winger prospect but no thanks.
I understand not wanting to trade Parayko, he is a good young defenseman. I wouldn't trade him if he was on my favorite team.

However calling a player a prospect who just put up back to back 60 point seasons his first two years in the NHL is a strange way to try to devalue a player... if you can't see that Nylander has the potential to put up more than 60 points you probably don't watch him play much.

Reactions: JHockey123

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad