Post-Game Talk: Toronto Sports Team Loses In Extra Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Glad people are warming up to Kapanen now.

I've said it all along, a player with that type of speed, that type of skill, that type of possession game with a 200ft game, he's definitely a player to keep your eye on and take your time with.

Being able to play either wing is another big plus.

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
I'm expecting Polak to only play when we play a bigger physical team like the Florida/Anaheim/LA/SJ/etc. He showed last year that he's useless against the faster skating teams skill teams (which unfortunately happens to be how the East is built for the most part). I'd expect whichever of Carrick or Corrado that makes the team will play against the faster opponents in Polak's place.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Polak not a head scratcher.

Polak was the biggest head scratcher.

Even the Martin signing, which I wasn't too fond of made more sense than the Polak signing.

I would have been more than happy with...

Rielly-Marincin
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Hunwick(Traded at TDL)-Carrick
Corrado

then after the TDL have

Rielly-Zaitsev
Gardiner-Carrick
Marincin-Corrado
Loov

Toronto is not really going for the playoffs and will be trading these vets at TD. With no term left they are worth more as pure rentals. We also need 8 Dmen and needed beef on the blueline. Martin is there to protect our youngsters and perhaps may be better than some think. No head scratcher if you believe this team isn't ready yet.What if the Leafs think Neilson,Dermott,Valiev may be ready next year, you needs those bodies to be gone to make room.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Carrick was definitely a stand out and Corrado played very well. Both have completely outplayed Polak AND Hunwick.

It's going to suck big time when Carrick and/or Corrado sit in the press box in place of Polak and Hunwick. Sigh...
To be honest Frankie struggled again in his own end... Hs constantly chasing players and ignores basic rotations...it was real noticable live. ..i posted after his last game a similar thought and it was confirmed live.

Corrado will be in a rotation with Polak as to who sits..in my opinion.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

I've said it all along, a player with that type of speed, that type of skill, that type of possession game with a 200ft game, he's definitely a player to keep your eye on and take your time with.

Yeah a player like this can always be effective one way or another. I think he should stay on the team.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Based on the two samples of Matthews with Nylander and then Marner, I liked Matthews/Nylander duo more.
Nylander has that vision to set-up Matthews but can also have the habit of shooting. This is a lethal combination and is why Nylander is one of my favourites. He just has to adopt a consistent work ethic (i.e. Hyman-esque). But this will come with experience, rookies are never near perfect.

I see Marner as a threat with other line mates. I have been in favour of maintaining Marner and Matthews on opposite lines due to their ability to dominate a shift. Get them together on the PP, but 5 on 5 should see Matthews/Nylander.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Polak, Hunwick, and Greening if either of these three make the opening nights rosters they made it based on their salary.

I know some of you like Greening, and I don't mind him in a fourth line marginal role. But I really hope Babcock doesn't pin him to a Marner/Matthews/Nylander. It seems like the play died on his stick 95% of the time last night.

Kapanen impressed me again last night, especially considering the players he played with. I think this guy is going to be a big part of our future once he figures out his inconsistency issues. He's gotten a lot of unwarranted hate because of the player he was traded for.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Because of the amount of rookies we're working in, I'd very much expect the lines/pairs to be changing regularly. Matthews might start on the third line, but I'm confident he'll move up quickly. Zaitsev might start with Hunwick, but I'd also expect him to move up.

Last edited:

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
wouldn't that make this situation an overall improvement on the D?

how can Polak make the top 6 of the cup finalist sharks and not the leafs?

because Doug Wilson is an idiot? because they wanted to buy some intangibles with a 2nd round pick and decided not to scratch him?

did you watch Polak's play in the playoffs? it was atrocious from my eyes

I was actually a moderate "fan" of Polak when we acquired him for Gunner, I remember not loving that we had to sweeten with a pick. I was quite happy to see him go though and less happy to see him return.

Would much prefer Carrick as he offers similar grit/pk role but has better speed and some offensive gifts.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
Rielly - Marancin
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Hunwick - Carrick
Polak/Corrado as a 7th, I barely care which

this is what I would like to see with Zaitsev eventually swapping with Marancin once he acclimates

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012

Love it, Thanks!

The only thing Polak has on Carrick is physicality, and even that Carrick is no wuss. Carrick absolutely should be in the top six to start the season.

Rielly - Zaitzev
Gardiner - Carrick
Marincin - Corrado
Polak

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009

Adding to that he has a dad who happens to be his coach. He'll teach him all he needs to know how to play in NHL

Tools are there, it's matter of building the toolbox

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Adding to that he has a dad who happens to be his coach. He'll teach him all he needs to know how to play in NHL

Tools are there, it's matter of building the toolbox

Don't remember much of Sami but the fact he was ridden by injuries.

If Kaps can become a defensive Juggernaut and build on his offensive strengths, he could be a serious threat. Almost Datsyuk-esque minus the hands. Was thrilled to see Kaps killing penalties last night.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Polak was the biggest head scratcher.

Rielly-Marincin
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Hunwick(Traded at TDL)-Carrick
Corrado

This is the very reason why the Polak signing wasn't a head-scratcher.

Young, raw blueline with limited veteran experience.

The bigger head scratcher was why Roman Polak even agreed to come back here.

HE seemed so frustrated and ready to get the hell out of town at so many points last year.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
This is the very reason why the Polak signing wasn't a head-scratcher.

Young, raw blueline with limited veteran experience.

The bigger head scratcher was why Roman Polak even agreed to come back here.

HE seemed so frustrated and ready to get the hell out of town at so many points last year.

If keeping Polak comes at the expense of a Corrado, it was a dumb move.

It's not even like Polak was a good defenceman that came back, he was bad last year and will likely be bad again.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Polak was probably brought back for his leadership, knowing he'd be the #7 d and not playing a lot knowing that if the kids outplayed them he could probably pass through waivers. Leafs management probably weren't 100% sold on Corrado being in that role or Carrick either yet.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Not even kidding, at this point, Polak is nothing but an anchor. Wouldn't be surprised to see us lose many games because of his gaffes/inability to move the puck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad