Toronto sports media talk (the FAN continues its changes)

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
PS, I didn't mind Sid when he was filling in for Bobcat. No hip hop, horns and his idiot partner and he was alright, actually.

Probably the only time I can tolerate him. Well said and I agree. I honestly and truly wonder if they find each other as funny as they portray on the show? Its kind of creepy really.

hd1344

Nov 16, 2012
The Hammer
Huge Tim and Sid guy here.

They may not be everyone's cup of tea, but the best part of the show is their de-emphasizing of hockey. Sid even put it best today, to the effect (paraphrasing) "If you're looking for hour 8 of the Mason Raymond to the Leafs saga, what he ate for lunch, go somewhere else"

If you follow/listen/watch/read enough mainstream media and these boards, odds are you'll be up to date on the whole Leafs and hockey front. It's rather nice to listen to discussion about other sports like the MLB, NFL and particularly the NBA. As a result, their guest line-up is usually pretty stellar for these sports as well.

Metal God

Aug 12, 2010
Toronto
TSN blows away the Fan. More Hockey talk, less Brady and McClown.

With Either station, I have to hit mute just as the commercials start. I mean how many times can you hear the same commercials over and over again, ten times per hour?

The Fan has that weasel with the same "Welcome to Rogers Tech talk"

TSN and the stupid Got Junk Commercial, and the Goof in that Commercial that Grunts right off the bat, and that annoying woman who yells back "Whats Wrong!"

Sorry. Just venting!

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
and I started to find the Hockey Central extremely annoying. Between Mac and Kipper interrupting each other and the GP8 sports water, it really becomes annoying.
Leafs Lunch on the other hand has better insiders and the hosts are pretty cool too.

btw, I really dig Marek vs Wyshinski podcast. I really wish (or I really Wysh :naughty: ) they would be on regular radio. They are funny enough to be entertaining and know their stuff.

Also.. I don't get it how they take off Baseball Central, which to me was the best piece of radio in summer, a month from playoffs?? :shakehead

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
TSN blows away the Fan. More Hockey talk, less Brady and McClown.

With Either station, I have to hit mute just as the commercials start. I mean how many times can you hear the same commercials over and over again, ten times per hour?

The Fan has that weasel with the same "Welcome to Rogers Tech talk"

TSN and the stupid Got Junk Commercial, and the Goof in that Commercial that Grunts right off the bat, and that annoying woman who yells back "Whats Wrong!"

Sorry. Just venting!

Couldnt agree more. Quit listening to sports radio almost entirely due to Greg Brady and that screaming woman commercial with an annoying dose of Joel Matlin.

I do like Tim and Sid though, occasionally, but could see how they could get stale on a day in and day out basis.

Ill listen if there is something big going on, unless Greg Brady is somewhere in the building. Then Id rather listen to nails on a chalkboard

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Fan still dominates for me. Tim and Sid are my favourite radio show out there. Have always liked Prime Time Sports and Jeff Blair has started to grow on me. And with Baseball/Hockey Central at noon the Fan has me hooked from 9 till 7. The problem is the morning show. Have never liked Brady since he first joined, and though Lang made Brady bearable, the morning show was never that good. Think they fired the wrong guy.

As for TSN the only show I have listened to a lot is Mike Richards. He can be hit or miss with his persona, some times hilarious, other time not, but he does bring in good guests. During hockey season used to love Pierre McGuire at 7:30 than Leafs breakfast with Darren Dregar at 8. Other than that I have not listened to the other TSN shows. Mako and Cauz I thought were decent when they filled in for Richards during the summer, but have never actually listened to their own show. TSN Drive with Dave Naylor isn't bad, but it is trying to hard to be Prime Time Sports. They need to figure something to differentiate themselves. They had Dave Hodge as a co-host during the summer, would love for him to get his own show. Bryan Hayes isn't bad, but nothing special either.

Problem is even the Fan's weakest non morning show is better than anything TSN has.

I'd rank them like this
Tim and Sid
Prime Time Sports
Jeff Blair Show
Hockey/Baseball Central
TSN Drive
Mike Richards in the Morning
Mako and Cauz
Bryan Hayes
Brady/Lang(formerly)

Although Blair is pretty well informed, I just can't listen to him. I find that he's a bit of a Bobcat clone except Blair doesn't have a sense of humour.

I don't mind Maco and Cos. Maco knows his stuff and Cos is pretty funny.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Huge Tim and Sid guy here.

They may not be everyone's cup of tea, but the best part of the show is their de-emphasizing of hockey. Sid even put it best today, to the effect (paraphrasing) "If you're looking for hour 8 of the Mason Raymond to the Leafs saga, what he ate for lunch, go somewhere else"

If you follow/listen/watch/read enough mainstream media and these boards, odds are you'll be up to date on the whole Leafs and hockey front. It's rather nice to listen to discussion about other sports like the MLB, NFL and particularly the NBA. As a result, their guest line-up is usually pretty stellar for these sports as well.

Some of us couldn't care less about those other sports/leagues which makes their show that much less interesting.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
and I started to find the Hockey Central extremely annoying. Between Mac and Kipper interrupting each other and the GP8 sports water, it really becomes annoying.

If you just take it for what it is, it can be rather funny.

Also.. I don't get it how they take off Baseball Central, which to me was the best piece of radio in summer, a month from playoffs?? :shakehead

This is Canada where hockey will always mean more than baseball. Granted, it does make more sense to simply change the time of that show.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
If you just take it for what it is, it can be rather funny.

It was alrite for years, it's just getting really old for me.

This is Canada where hockey will always mean more than baseball. Granted, it does make more sense to simply change the time of that show.

Well my idea is this - extend the HC by an hour, add an hour of Baseball Central, then Marek vs Wyshinski for an hour. Sid can go to a morning show instead of Brady, but he needs another cohost. Tim can be shipped off to Siberia for all I care.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
I don't think an hour of baseball talk in September with the Jays out of contention (again) and NHL training camps opening would draw a large audience in this market.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
It was alrite for years, it's just getting really old for me.

Well my idea is this - extend the HC by an hour, add an hour of Baseball Central, then Marek vs Wyshinski for an hour. Sid can go to a morning show instead of Brady, but he needs another cohost. Tim can be shipped off to Siberia for all I care.

M v W will never go "on air". They often broach subjects, and use language which wouldnt fly on the FAN. The podcast also runs around 1:10-1:15 so it would be a two hour show factoring in commercials.

That said, HC should be two hours. It used to be.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
He sounds like he's always drunk.

Yeah he does. It's pathetic listening to him stutter on his words and absolutely have no idea wtf he's talking about half the time. He must've had more than a few concussions because his speech is atrocious. I used to listen to the Fan but now I listen to TSN radio except for Hockey Central sometimes depending on what guests or topics they discuss, I also really like Leafs Lunch on TSN radio with Bryan Hayes. I actually met Hayes a couple of times at the golf course he belongs to. The guy knows his sports.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Leafs Lunch on the other hand has better insiders and the hosts are pretty cool too.

btw, I really dig Marek vs Wyshinski podcast. I really wish (or I really Wysh :naughty: ) they would be on regular radio. They are funny enough to be entertaining and know their stuff.

Hockey runs this country, it's been like this forever, might as well get used to it. Baseball Central would never last IMO during the winter. Maybe they could've had it on until the end of October but they must feel that the ratings would take a hit once the NHL season starts.

The Shrike

Jul 13, 2008
Toronto
The only show I listen to regularly is Leafs Lunch on TSN radio. If I turn on a sports station and they're talking about any other sport than hockey, I either change the station, or turn it off.

This is Toronto, we talk Leafs, and hockey in general. That's the way is, always was, and always will be.

The Fan in particular should have learned this lesson long ago when they went from being one of the top radio stations in Toronto to a ratings disaster in very short order when they dropped the Leafs broadcasts in favour of the Blue Jays.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
The only show I listen to regularly is Leafs Lunch on TSN radio. If I turn on a sports station and they're talking about any other sport than hockey, I either change the station, or turn it off.

This is Toronto, we talk Leafs, and hockey in general. That's the way is, always was, and always will be.

The Fan in particular should have learned this lesson long ago when they went from being one of the top radio stations in Toronto to a ratings disaster in very short order when they dropped the Leafs broadcasts in favour of the Blue Jays.

There has to be a reason for that. There's no way they'd just willingly drop their Leafs coverage. They can't be that stupid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad