Confirmed with Link: Toronto signs Mitch Marner to 6 year extension [10.893M AAV] Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I wonder how they pay Ferris, what commission on the contract? This was his big fish. Probably a nice payday for him too. I see anything from 3-6% listed upwards sometimes to 10%. even 5% would be over $500,000. Although I think their percentage is after escrow. Decent for a years work for one client. Almost as much as Jordan Schmaltz.

Don’t forget the real money and maybe effort for the agent comes from the endorsement deals.

Reactions: crump

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
We don't have any need for Gardiner with Rielly, Muzzin, and Dermott on the left side. He's 30 and has a bad back. Signing him to a long term contract causes problems and we don't need him. It's not something we missed out on because of not enough cap space.
...we didn't have the space to sign him and he's an upgrade on Dermott. Let's hope Dermott can become half of what Gardiner was.

If we have Kadri back we don't have Barrie or Kerfoot. We didn't lose Kadri because of not enough cap space.

I don't want Hainsey back unless he's a 6/7 making 1 million.
We traded in a good, long contract for a short-term option in Barrie and a lesser replacement. Hainsey is still a better bottom pair option than what we have today.

These are cap driven moves. Were positioned fine for this year, it cost us Kadri and a first to do it though. Add in Gardiner if you want too.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
On thing I love now, the front loaded part of this contract isn’t even a point of contention, it’s just expected. It should have been a carrot of a “team friendly” deal, but it’s just a big add on to an already player friendly deal. Man, when you actually think about it.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
On thing I love now, the front loaded part of this contract isn’t even a point of contention, it’s just expected. It should have been a carrot of a “team friendly” deal, but it’s just a big add on to an already player friendly deal. Man, when you actually think about it.

It really benefits both parties, though.

The player gets the money sooner, which they can put into investments.

The team gets player with a maximum trade value within a couple of years, due to other teams not needing to pay the salary in full.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

That doesn't work. The Leafs load every deal like this because it's better for them. You can't hold something that's better for you, against the other side in a contract negotiation.

Reactions: kb

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
All things considered, it's a palatable contract for the team. If he can average 90-100 points during the term of the contract, it will represent fair value to the club moving forward based on escalating salaries around the league.

I'm relieved that the Marner camp didn't dig in any further and potentially jeopardize what will be a crucial season for us.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
i just find it funny that he is still doing the "cheerleading" for the marner camp even after the deal is signed.

dreger was pushing for 9AAV for 3 yr deal; long term deal wasn't discussed by him at all also 6 year deal was never called by Dubas or any other media guy....

i was the one that called 6 year deal at around 10.5 AAV go through my post history April or August posts

You people don’t under stand the media’s job.

They’re not sitting back guessing like you.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
So I guess I have to flip a coin to decide between a Marner or Matthews jersey

assuming you already have a Rielly and Tavares:naughty:

LOL Dreger seriously LOL

this guy and his self aggrandizement are truly annoying, I've been calling out his pompous ass for 10 years

He was saying Marner deserved Matthews money...he got it. Is that shilling or reality? Again, I’m not a Dreger apologist but the guy was spot on in the end.

all of the "insiders" were talking very like numbers, as well as many of the poster's on this site, so Dreger isn't alone in his magnificence and narcissism. The 10+ has been bandied about by many many posters here and on other sites. It's not genius whatsoever, it's having an understanding of where the market is, what Dreger does really well is to insinuate himself into the conversation as to illuminate and overstate his "insiderness!"

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
That doesn't work. The Leafs load every deal like this because it's better for them. You can't hold something that's better for you, against the other side in a contract negotiation.
Better for them? The player banks the money, invests it, so essentially he’s making way more as the deal progresses.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Last summer just after Tavares was signed and all 3 Amigos were unsigned still I predicted their next salaries.

Before

Matthews @ $12 mil
Tavares @ $11 mil
Marner @ $ 10 mil
Nylander @ $7.5 mil
---------------------------
Total $ 40, 500,000 mil

After

Matthews @ $11,634,000
Tavares @ $11,000,000
Marner @ $10,893,000
Nylander @ $6,962,366
------------------------------
Total $ 40,489,366 mil

Difference estimate to actual = $10,634

Clairvoyant skills = excellent !!!! :thumbu:

Last edited:

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

The team gets player with a maximum trade value within a couple of years, due to other teams not needing to pay the salary in full.
And the team doesn’t get the benefit of that money in their pockets, so it isn’t a straight benefit as you suggest.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
mehhh dreger was a cheer leader for marner camp you cannot deny that man

I don’t know what his desire was. I’ve seen no indication either way. Furthermore, who is a cheerleader in a business deal?

I do know that his reporting was pretty good and it’s obvious he has sources. As a intelligent consumer, I appreciate it.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Better for them? The player banks the money, invests it, so essentially he’s making way more as the deal progresses.

Yes, and it's better for the team because it makes their assets more valuable to other teams, because the Leafs are always well ahead on payments. It's a way to turn money into hockey assets, over time, as you make trades.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Sure, but now that he’s signed, what he was floating was reality.

There’s 2 totally separate things here and for some reason you’re making it sound one and the same

1. Numbers floated by Dreger - very accurate. No disputing that. Fact
2. Bringing the viewpoint that Marner deserves that amount - this annoyed many Leaf fans which is easy to understand why. Clearly you’re not one of them and that’s fair too, but’s some got pissed off and that too is a Fact

But really now that all is done, I really don’t think most fans care about Dreger or the contract. Camp has started, our team is stacked, we our very legitimate cup contenders, Let’s go!

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Looking around the league at teams with RFA's, I wonder if Marner's contract will be an outlier, or blow up all their plans?

Julien Brisebois had offered Point a 3x year $5.7 million AAV bridge deal over the summer... I would like to see that number in the $10 million range after this.

I will say though that at nearly $11 milion, Nylander's cost per point will probably be a much better value than Marner's for the life of their contracts.

Reactions: kb

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Here's my question....yes hes making the 10.893 per but from what I understand Dubas also included a bonus to make up for marner not getting the entry level bonus from Lou so....

Would anyone know how much did marner miss out on his entry level deal and...if that was also included in this deal how much is marners deal per season if you subtract the bonus?

For example he signed 6 years for 65.358. If he missed out on say 7M in bonuses in his entry then he just signed 6 years for 58M (9.6M per) plus bonus for his entry level?

I'm trying to rationalize Dubas and keep giving me hope on him going forward lol

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015

You mean right when the nmc kicks in?

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Here's my question....yes hes making the 10.893 per but from what I understand Dubas also included a bonus to make up for marner not getting the entry level bonus from Lou so....

Would anyone know how much did marner miss out on his entry level deal and...if that was also included in this deal how much is marners deal per season if you subtract the bonus?

For example he signed 6 years for 65.358. If he missed out on say 7M in bonuses in his entry then he just signed 6 years for 58M (9.6M per) plus bonus for his entry level?

I'm trying to rationalize Dubas and keep giving me hope on him going forward lol

I'm sure that the missed ELC bonuses were a factor in negotiating the total value of the contract/AAV, probably to the tune of about 1 million extra per season. If it weren't for that, we probably could have had him for under 10 million on a 6 year deal. It is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad