Confirmed with Link: Toronto signs Mitch Marner to 6 year extension [10.893M AAV] Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
That’s true, but as leaf fans it’s still annoying to hear a guy constantly throw out those numbers and then justify ‘why not’ , ‘it’s only fair’ etc throughout the process. It’s like he was publicly negotiating for the Marner camp, so it’s easy to see why fans got irritated
Sure, but now that he’s signed, what he was floating was reality.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Depends on what "team" is. They kept the big 4 and turned over a good chunk of the rest. The entire bottom 6 and half the D has changed. Most of that was cap driven. I think we're better today because of the moves, but it did cost us some assets.

Except for Gardiner, who we no longer need on the left side, we didn't really lose anything we wanted to keep. We didn't want Marleau, Zaitsev or Hainsey, and we kept everyone we wanted.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I wonder how they pay Ferris, what commission on the contract? This was his big fish. Probably a nice payday for him too. I see anything from 3-6% listed upwards sometimes to 10%. even 5% would be over $500,000. Although I think their percentage is after escrow. Decent for a years work for one client. Almost as much as Jordan Schmaltz.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Except for Gardiner, who we no longer need on the left side, we didn't really lose anything we wanted to keep. Hainsey, Zaitsev, Marleau...
Kadri's a very good player. Brown, for all the hate, was still solid for his role. Hainsey got an unfair amount of hate, we'll miss him a lot more than the other 2 you mention.

Gardiner is obvious as you mention.

This team has turned over to stay within the cap and were all expecting more of that with the expiring contracts on D and lack of cap space expected next year.

Reactions: NiftyMits

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
How do we know offer sheets weren’t presented and the Marner camp didn’t want to go that route? There was talk of offers being floated. Look, I’ve never been on the offer sheet bandwagon, but the bottom line is all these numbers Dreger floated have turned out to be pretty much bang on to what the deal looks like today. We got angry because it seemed ridiculous, and yet here we sit today.

As for the scoop, looks like Dreger was right there, as he normally is...like it or not the guy is one of the top “insiders”.

So they got offersheets "in the teens" and turned them down? possible but sincerely doubt it, in the teens by the way is the highest paid player in the league. I didnt get angry at the amounts, they are overpay of course but others where saying similar amounts. It was the dreger shilling that got on my nerves, you chose to ignore all that and thats fine

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
So they got offersheets "in the teens" and turned them down? possible but sincerely doubt it, in the teens by the way is the highest paid player in the league. I didnt get angry at the amounts, they are overpay of course but others where saying similar amounts. It was the dreger shilling that got on my nerves, you chose to ignore all that and thats fine
It’s fine to hate Dreger, but in the end Marner got what he floated, which is kind of all that matters isn’t it.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I don’t get it?

well first look at his facial expression he looks like someone shot his puppy in the begining

then he went on with his 3,4,5 year deal spiel and then he goes on to say Marner said he will take the 6 year deal which was something that wasn't discussed by the marner camp and dubas

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Kadri's a very good player.

Well we traded him for a top pairing RHD in a hockey trade. It's not like we dumped him for space.

Brown, for all the hate, was still solid for his role.

He was going to be a fourth liner making 2+ million. That's an inefficient use of cap space that's been corrected.

Hainsey got an unfair amount of hate, we'll miss him a lot more than the other 2 you mention.

Gardiner is obvious as you mention.

This team has turned over to stay within the cap.

This team improved by getting rid of players who don't live up to their contracts or aren't needed, and you're trying to make that seem like a problem.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
It’s fine to hate Dreger, but in the end Marner got what he floated, which is kind of all that matters isn’t it.

NO!!!! i have no issue with him getting the numbers right, my first post wasnt that he was wrong the one you first replied to. The numbers being right are not relevant to what i said in the first place,

it is the shilling and cheerleading for the marner camp really made him look bush league. He was in their pocket all summer so i damn well hope he got the numbers right, otherwise he was in their pocket for no reason.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Well we traded him for a top pairing RHD in a hockey trade. It's not like we dumped him for space.

He was going to be a fourth liner making 2+ million. That's an inefficient use of cap space that's been corrected.

This team improved by getting rid of players who don't live up to their contracts or aren't needed, and you're trying to make that seem like a problem.
I'm saying the team largely turned over. Look at the new faces, seems accurate.

If we have more space, which the big 4 largely took, you have at least Kadri and 1 of Hainsey/Gardiner back. Maybe more.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
NO!!!! i have no issue with him getting the numbers right, my first post wasnt that he was wrong the one you first replied to. The numbers being right are not relevant to what i said in the first place,

it is the shilling and cheerleading for the marner camp really made him look bush league. He was in their pocket all summer so i damn well hope he got the numbers right, otherwise he was in their pocket for no reason.
He was saying Marner deserved Matthews money...he got it. Is that shilling or reality? Again, I’m not a Dreger apologist but the guy was spot on in the end.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
He was saying Marner deserved Matthews money...he got it. Is that shilling or reality? Again, I’m not a Dreger apologist but the guy was spot on in the end.

Well, he didn't get Matthews Money. 750K less on greater term.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

he didnt get matthews money? a year more and $750K less?.

edit: didnt see other guys post

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
well first look at his facial expression he looks like someone shot his puppy in the begining

then he went on with his 3,4,5 year deal spiel and then he goes on to say Marner said he will take the 6 year deal which was something that wasn't discussed by the marner camp and dubas

Ok....still not sure what’s up.

Don’t tell me you’re saddened by the fact that he was right and you’re nitpicking his facial expressions.

Last edited:
Reactions: kb

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Similar to what Nonis said about the Clarkson deal. We are all glad its over and that we have a team for next year. Its a win now team though, hope they convert it into a cup.

@18leafsfan18 when we talk business of hockey its nothing personal. Fandom is personal so I was saying, stop being upset at people for talking business, they are the same people topless painted blue and white.

Are you seriously comparing Clarkson to Marner?

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I'm saying the team largely turned over. Look at the new faces, seems accurate.

If we have more space, which the big 4 largely took, you have at least Kadri and 1 of Hainsey/Gardiner back. Maybe more.

We don't have any need for Gardiner with Rielly, Muzzin, and Dermott on the left side. He's 30 and has a bad back. Signing him to a long term contract causes problems and we don't need him. It's not something we missed out on because of not enough cap space.

If we have Kadri back we don't have Barrie or Kerfoot. We didn't lose Kadri because of not enough cap space.

I don't want Hainsey back unless he's a 6/7 making 1 million.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Ok....still not sure what’s up.

Don’t tell me your saddened by the fact that he was right and you’re nitpicking his facial expressions.

i just find it funny that he is still doing the "cheerleading" for the marner camp even after the deal is signed.

dreger was pushing for 9AAV for 3 yr deal; long term deal wasn't discussed by him at all also 6 year deal was never called by Dubas or any other media guy....

i was the one that called 6 year deal at around 10.5 AAV go through my post history April or August posts

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
dreger went on leafs lunch and said "i dont understand why the leafs dont just give him the matthews deal" begging the leafs to do it. seems they did expect it at some point
I would argue they pretty much did. He’s the seventh highest player in the league now, I mean....

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Depends on what "team" is. They kept the big 4 and turned over a good chunk of the rest. The entire bottom 6 and half the D has changed. Most of that was cap driven. I think we're better today because of the moves, but it did cost us some assets.

They moved because they weren’t working. I remember last year getting slammed for suggesting there needed to 5 to 8 changes if this team wanted to win anything.
Management agreed. I don’t know if it will work, but they’ve addressed some needs and added depth to at least give themselves a chance.

Reactions: kb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad