Confirmed with Link: Toronto signs Mitch Marner to 6 year extension [10.893M AAV] Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I don't blame Marner for this at all for this contract. His agent is supposed to try to get him the best deal possible. He didn't miss camp... didn't miss any games... he did nothing wrong. Of course he wants to get the most money possible.

Are Matthews, Marner, and Nylander overpaid??? Sure, maybe a bit. But I'm not that concerned if we overpay really good players. We don't really have any bad players under contract who are screwing up our cap situation. Our team looks amazing on paper. Getting excited for the season to start!

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
So today we get to discuss line rushes, 5th, 6th,7th, and 8 th defencemen, 4th and 5th lines, and back up goalies
When you’re talking about which depth players to use....you’re in a pretty good situation.

SoVi3t

Sep 16, 2009
So I guess I have to flip a coin to decide between a Marner or Matthews jersey

bentharbs

Feb 25, 2018
I think, unfortunately, the only real comparison is Rantanen. It is too hard to look backwards at Kuch or at Kane and compare as equals because of the tax situation and clear, decisive changes in the market.

If Rantanen comes back and takes like 9 then it is clear we really messed it up. But hey, maybe the Finn is willing to take a discount.

Edit: for the same reason as Kuch, I believe that Point isn't the best comparable either. It is just really hard to compare those #s as if they are the same with such an inequitable tax structure.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
@DarkKnight

Thread closed sorry.

It’s not that he got the numbers it’s the shilling as I said int he post you replied too. He was very clearly only getting that info because he was presenting marners case to the public. He also said there were offersheets in the teens on their way l, where are those? Clearly a tactic by Ferris to put the pressure on.

It makes me happy Friedman beat him to the “scoop”

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Here’s the thing with Dreger though, the numbers he kept floating are essentially what happened. We just didn't like what he was suggesting, but he was pretty much bang on in the end.

You can say he was carrying water for the Marner camp, but look at the deal he ultimately signed for...I mean.

That’s true, but as leaf fans it’s still annoying to hear a guy constantly throw out those numbers and then justify ‘why not’ , ‘it’s only fair’ etc throughout the process. It’s like he was publicly negotiating for the Marner camp, so it’s easy to see why fans got irritated

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Dreger would literally be pleading for the Leafs to up their offer on air. His segments would be based around selling the idea Marner should get Matthews money.

No one was upset over the reporting of numbers. Other insiders did that and faced no backlash. Dreger was acting as a cheerleader.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Just glad it’s over. Don’t even care right now about the contract

Similar to what Nonis said about the Clarkson deal. We are all glad its over and that we have a team for next year. Its a win now team though, hope they convert it into a cup.

@18leafsfan18 when we talk business of hockey its nothing personal. Fandom is personal so I was saying, stop being upset at people for talking business, they are the same people topless painted blue and white.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Dreger would literally be pleading for the Leafs to up their offer on air. His segments would be based around selling the idea Marner should get Matthews money.

No one was upset over the reporting of numbers. Other insiders did that and faced no backlash. Dreger was acting as a cheerleader.

Dreger lost his sources, his new sources are the agents themselves, all the inside knows this. He is like a New Port Sports shill.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
Matthews, Nylander and Marner left 0 money on the table and fought for every damn penny. I guess that's their right but they need to remember there is a hard cap in the NHL. We lost some players and draft picks because of their demands so I hope they realize that no help is coming and it's all up to them to win.
What's done is done and I will no longer be focusing on the the contracts. Instead it's time to start cheering the team on. This will be my last post in this thread. #Letsgoleafs

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

It's really odd what upsets people.

Glad it's over, drop the puck.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
"How can they afford keep this team together?"

"We can and we will"

We did.
Depends on what "team" is. They kept the big 4 and turned over a good chunk of the rest. The entire bottom 6 and half the D has changed. Most of that was cap driven. I think we're better today because of the moves, but it did cost us some assets.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
If we have to trade kapanen or johnsson or kerfoot because of marner asking for that extra bit.....screw him. Because most hated on the team.

We cant run a 20 man roster. The only thing you can do now is trade ceci once dermott ia back. But then you are trusting dermott into a top pair after injury.

This extra bit that marner HAD to get is a joke. I slept on it and I hate how its gonna screw over our team. I bet our guys are pissed at him for forcing the leafs to trade a quality player now.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Dreger lost his sources, his new sources are the agents themselves, all the inside knows this. He is like a New Port Sports shill.

That’s a very good source. Based on his information this week, apparently he communicates with teams as well.
I’m glad Friedman was involved. It allows people to both love and hate the same information.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
If we have to trade kapanen or johnsson or kerfoot because of marner asking for that extra bit.....screw him. Because most hated on the team.

We cant run a 20 man roster. The only thing you can do now is trade ceci once dermott ia back. But then you are trusting dermott into a top pair after injury.

This extra bit that marner HAD to get is a joke. I slept on it and I hate how its gonna screw over our team. I bet our guys are pissed at him for forcing the leafs to trade a quality player now.
It's funny were now talking about a 20 man roster when 22-23 was expected with him making ~10m.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
@DarkKnight

Thread closed sorry.

It’s not that he got the numbers it’s the shilling as I said int he post you replied too. He was very clearly only getting that info because he was presenting marners case to the public. He also said there were offersheets in the teens on their way l, where are those? Clearly a tactic by Ferris to put the pressure on.

It makes me happy Friedman beat him to the “scoop”
How do we know offer sheets weren’t presented and the Marner camp didn’t want to go that route? There was talk of offers being floated. Look, I’ve never been on the offer sheet bandwagon, but the bottom line is all these numbers Dreger floated have turned out to be pretty much bang on to what the deal looks like today. We got angry because it seemed ridiculous, and yet here we sit today.

As for the scoop, looks like Dreger was right there, as he normally is...like it or not the guy is one of the top “insiders”.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad