Proposal: Toronto- Philadelphia

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
They wouldn't even consider whether the Leafs are trying to make room for anyone. The would judge the trade on its value to them.
He addressed that point where he stated that it was absurd from their POV, and in reality they would consider if it helped a rival team compete for the services of a player they were either interested in or wanting to keep away from playing against their team. This actually happens semi often.

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
Farabee is going to have a better career than the great disappearing Nylander. Myers is on track to be a big, mobile stud. AND a 1st. I would not trade that package for the even more overpaid Marner. Hard pass.
LOL, And Nylander a potential # 1 center. Get real.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
He addressed that point where he stated that it was absurd from their POV, and in reality they would consider if it helped a rival team compete for the services of a player they were either interested in or wanting to keep away from playing against their team. This actually happens semi often.
I don't believe that.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Nylander would've been 2nd in scoring for Philadelphia, 1 point behind Konecny, led the team in goals, is locked in for another 4 years at a great deal but yet he's a useless player, interesting. Take off the homer glasses and then maybe you'd realize Nylander would be your number 1 offensive player.
I didn’t see any call him useless. Actually saw some people agree he’s the best player in the deal.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
So you don’t believe that sometimes GMs would avoid trading a player to a division or conference rival?
Now that is something that has actually happened. What I don't believe is that teams will make trades based on how it benifits them and and they would not worry that by making the trade the other team may sign a free agent form a third team.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Nylander would've been 2nd in scoring for Philadelphia, 1 point behind Konecny, led the team in goals, is locked in for another 4 years at a great deal but yet he's a useless player, interesting. Take off the homer glasses and then maybe you'd realize Nylander would be your number 1 offensive player.
kettle...meet black.

Nylander isn't a NEED.

Konecny 61 points
Nylander 59 points
Voracek 56 points

In what world does it make sense for the Flyers to trade Myers, making Holl their best RHD in 1 year....just so they can upgrade from Farabee to Nylander.....all while Farabee will close the gap between the 2 in the coming years.

AND we would need to cut cap elsewhere.

It's asinine.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Now that is something that has actually happened. What I don't believe is that teams will make trades based on how it benifits them and and they would not worry that by making the trade the other team may sign a free agent for a third team.
I don’t understand a single thing you said there. You don’t believe that a team will make trades based on how it benefits them? And a team not trading to a division rival is the exact same premise. Take a little less than ideal return but keep a valuable player from competing against your team.

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania

Nylander is a fine young player, and the best player in said deal but Farabee and Myers have very good potential to be just as effective, if not more so, in the very near future. So I wouldn't say it's rose color glasses, I would say it's a little bit of foresight so we don't screw up our team and the process of building a legitimate contender. But I understand why that may not make much sense to a Maple Leaf fan.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I don’t understand a single thing you said there. You don’t believe that a team will make trades based on how it benefits them?
Yeah, ooops. I mean a team will make trades based on how it benifits them, and they won't worry about whether that by making said trade they would open up room for the team they are trading with, and that team could possibly sign a free agent with the room that was created earlier.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
It wouldn't.

But the OP doesn't do that. It would leave us with Holl as our best RHD man 1 year from now. And I am sure Leafs fans can understand why that is an issue.

Trading Myers is not going to happen.
That’s a sensible answer. And completely understandable.

I just find it funny when people respond with “not helping Toronto out of their cap problems, etc.” like they wouldn’t be getting a great player.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Yeah, ooops. I mean a team will make trades based on how it benifits them, and they won't worry about whether that by making said trade they would open up room for the team they are trading with, and that team could possibly sign a free agent with the room that was created earlier.
Why would a team not think about how this type of scenario benefits a rival but would consider it when that trade is directly with the rival. I can see your point if this is the only trade offer for said players, do you actually think this would be the only offer for those players?

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
They are all rivals and teams make trades all the time. For example, the last trade the Leafs made was with Pitt. It did open cap for the Leafs. The Pitt GM made the trade because he sees cap as a to six player, perhaps even someone who could play with Crosby. He didn't care if the room created helps the Leafs possibly sign a free agent in a month. He was think about his team.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
They are all rivals and teams make trades all the time. For example, the last trade the Leafs made was with Pitt. It did open cap for the Leafs. The Pitt GM made the trade because he sees cap as a to six player, perhaps even someone who could play with Crosby. He didn't care if the room created helps the Leafs possibly sign a free agent in a month. He was think about his team.
No one is saying making room for another team to sign a player is the only consideration. In fact the person that said that made it clear it was a secondary consideration

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
No one is saying making room for another team to sign a player is the only consideration. In fact the person that said that made it clear it was a secondary consideration
Yeah, and I disagree. I think it is of no consideration.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
That’s a sensible answer. And completely understandable.

I just find it funny when people respond with “not helping Toronto out of their cap problems, etc.” like they wouldn’t be getting a great player.
Agreed.

If another team thinks a deal helps them to be better, that's what matters the most. But in this example, the OP's offer just doesn't do that now...or in the future.

Reactions: shortfuze

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Nylander is a fine young player, and the best player in said deal but Farabee and Myers have very good potential to be just as effective, if not more so, in the very near future. So I wouldn't say it's rose color glasses, I would say it's a little bit of foresight so we don't screw up our team and the process of building a legitimate contender. But I understand why that may not make much sense to a Maple Leaf fan.

It's amazing that people keep calling Myers a potential top pairing defenseman and just keep dismissing Holl in this package. Like Myers, Holl is a late bloomer and this past year played on the top shutdown pair with Muzzin, was on the first PK unit, and matched up against the top offensive players in the league while still managing 18 points and a finished a +13.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad