Pre-Game Talk: Toronto @ Ottawa Sat. 19th 7:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Never really understood the logic of the Marner/Bozak/JVR line. Those guys don't seem to fit together.

All are subpar defensively.

Marner's creativity would pair well with a true sniper.

Isn't JvR a sniper?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Brown with Bozak and JVR I like. Marner should be with Kadri and Marleau, Komarov on the 4th, but after the last couple of games, Marner on the 4th line isn’t that bad.

The fact that they just plugged Borgman in Rielly’s spot has me optimistic.

Reactions: IBeL13f

member 262271

Oh dear god, Ottawa? Just the tonic to get them out of this funk - if they can win this then maybe there is hope. I'd feel better if they were playing Tampa f'in Bay to be quite honest.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
I would stop with the Kadri as the shutdown line and focus on 3 scoring lines and the 4th line of guys who can keep momentum and not get pinned in their zone for a whole shift

I would run this and not worry about matching up Kadri against the other teams best line

Hyman Matthews Nylander
Marleau Kadri Marner
JVR Bozak Brown
Martin Goat Komorov

I think really Matthews is our best defensive C and is already better at D zone coverage than Kadri. So why not force the other team to match up against us and who cares if the other top lines faces Matthews. Worse case it is a saw off and then now Kadri with Marner instead of Leo might get back to generating more offence and score. Brown on the Bozak line provides a grinder/grittier guy who will work hard and let the 2 other guys do their job. 4th line would be good at getting in on the forecheck and cycling.

Only the 4th line would be a dump and chase line. The rest unless they are clogging up the neutral zone would be in their own zone and start with speed.

Really easy simple changes but that goes against what they are trying to implement. They are trying to get use to playoff hockey where the space is limited and need to dump and chase to get zone time.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Brown with Bozak and JVR I like. Marner should be with Kadri and Marleau, Komarov on the 4th, but after the last couple of games, Marner on the 4th line isn’t that bad.

its just for practice though. if anything gardiner-hainsey will be the top-pair if reilly isn't good to go

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
the problem is there's literally no consistency. andersen costs us games in October? Babcock defends him publicly and continues to roll with him. Rielly screws up and costs us games? Babcock defends him and continues to roll with him. Marner did screw up, but why is he being held accountable and demoted? Nobody else gets punished and it makes no sense. Marner is a talented player and he should get the benefit of the doubt if Babcock is going to do the same with other talented players

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
the problem is there's literally no consistency. andersen costs us games in October? Babcock defends him publicly and continues to roll with him. Rielly screws up and costs us games? Babcock defends him and continues to roll with him. Marner did screw up, but why is he being held accountable and demoted? Nobody else gets punished and it makes no sense. Marner is a talented player and he should get the benefit of the doubt if Babcock is going to do the same with other talented players
I'd be very surprised if Babcock would demote any player because of one "screw up".

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
If Rielly is out for the Ottawa game, the D pairings might look like this...
Gardiner/Hainsey
Dermott/Carrick
Borgman/Polak
call up Justin Holl or Andrew Nielsen?

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
its much easier to hold marner accountable. it's asinine to put mcelhinney in net for an extended period of time and its equally as bad for reilly to be demoted off the top pair.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
its much easier to hold marner accountable. it's asinine to put mcelhinney in net for an extended period of time and its equally as bad for reilly to be demoted off the top pair.
it's also asinine to put a top offensive threat on the 4th line, and accountability shouldn't run up until it's inconvenient to hold players to the same standards

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
if it's a bigger issue than the last couple of games, he'd have demoted Komarov. Marner is simply the better player by far
You don't know what he's asking of each player, perhaps Komarov is doing what he's asked. What mistakes has Komarov been making the last few games?
Marner is a far better player but that really has nothing to do with it.
Komarov should play on the 4th line IMO because his skill dictates it, Marner will be there to learn from it.

If you're expecting all players to be treated the same you'll be disappointed. This doesn't happen in any sport and for the most part in life in general.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
You don't know what he's asking of each player, perhaps Komarov is doing what he's asked. What mistakes has Komarov been making the last few games?
Marner is a far better player but that really has nothing to do with it.
Komarov should play on the 4th line IMO because his skill dictates it, Marner will be there to learn from it.

If you're expecting all players to be treated the same you'll be disappointed. This doesn't happen in any sport and for the most part in life in general.
if Babcock is happy with Komarov producing offense at practically a historically low rate and getting outscored by the opposition regularly, I wonder why his standards for top 9 players are so low. He definitely should be on the 4th line by merit

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
if Babcock is happy with Komarov producing offense at practically a historically low rate and getting outscored by the opposition regularly, I wonder why his standards for top 9 players are so low. He definitely should be on the 4th line by merit
So they're no longer being demoted because of "screw ups"?

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Hey, lets keep Komarov on a line that hasn't produced squat in months offensively.

That Kadri/Marleau/Komarov line is a husk offensively and needs to be split up immediately.

Get Kadri and Marleau away from each other, they have ZERO chemistry together.

Reactions: ToMaLe

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015

Agreed, about the optimism. If it was bad, you would probably see those pairings shuffled.

How Komarov remains in the top 9 with his play is craziness. At this point he should be 4th line with PK duties.

Reactions: ToMaLe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad